HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Photos from Richard Baer,...

Fri Oct 18, 2019, 07:37 AM

Photos from Richard Baer, Commandment of Auschwitz, May44-Jan 45

Thread Reader App (@threadreaderapp) Tweeted:
@keenanls Hello, the unroll you asked for: Thread by @McKayMSmith: "1) In June of 1945, after the war with Germany had ended, an American Army officer in Frankfurt moved into an abandoned […]" https://t.co/0QA9r6NrBD
Talk to you soon. 🤖

You can open the thread by clicking on the threadapp line above.

4 replies, 1134 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Photos from Richard Baer, Commandment of Auschwitz, May44-Jan 45 (Original post)
irisblue Oct 18 OP
appalachiablue Oct 18 #1
irisblue Oct 18 #3
appalachiablue Oct 19 #4
Moral Compass Oct 18 #2

Response to appalachiablue (Reply #1)

Fri Oct 18, 2019, 11:13 AM

3. Thank you for posting that, I'm sure that I would never have seen it

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to irisblue (Reply #3)

Sat Oct 19, 2019, 07:24 AM

4. For sure, an incredible story. I never knew about it until I saw this

piece posted here c. 2016. The DC dress shop Brigitte worked in many years, I think I know it. Unbelievable.

*Brigitte no doubt acquired her fashion taste from her mother Hedwig Hoess. MORE:

Dressmakers for the Nazis at Auschwitz,
https://www.historyextra.com/period/second-world-war/sewing-for-the-nazis-who-were-the-dressmakers-of-auschwitz/

Reply to this post

Response to irisblue (Original post)

Fri Oct 18, 2019, 09:28 AM

2. Highly recommended

I spent a decade or so fascinated with The Holocaust. I read everything there was at the time—including Hoess’s memoir/biography.

I was looking for some insight, some clue as to how an evil this enormous could have been committed.

What I found was a tapestry of ordinariness. A bureaucratizarion of extermination. Only Mengele stood out as actively evil. The rest were just doing their jobs—plodding through their days—trying to not perceive the horrors in which they were utterly complicit.

This was the most stunning realization—that ordinary men and women—when swallowed by the machinery of evil would dutifully carry out their tasks—even if that was to kill their fellow humans.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread