HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Minneapolis mayor: We saw...

Sun Oct 13, 2019, 07:03 PM

Minneapolis mayor: We saw Trump stiffing cities for his other rallies, so we told him to pay up

Source: Washington Post

Minneapolis mayor: We saw Trump stiffing cities for his other rallies, so we told him to pay up

By Jacob Frey
Oct. 12, 2019 at 4:40 p.m. EDT
Jacob Frey, a Democrat, is the mayor of Minneapolis.

Thanks to an administration in Washington committed to cutting federal funding for local government and a Congress plagued by gridlock, city leaders often face difficult choices without reliable outside support. And lacking the ability to levy an income tax, cities are then forced to rely on regressive property taxes for essential work.

So late last month when President Trump announced that he would hold a campaign rally in Minneapolis, where I’m the mayor, I had two questions about resources. First, how much extra work would city employees need to do? Second, how could the city secure reimbursement for those excess costs on behalf of the city’s taxpayers?

The venue the campaign chose, Target Center, is publicly owned but privately operated. Under the terms of the city’s contract with the operator, Minneapolis is entitled to reimbursement for certain costs. In our view, those include excess costs for public safety and traffic control, among other services. Had the venue been privately owned, we wouldn’t have had as much leverage to recoup costs.

As mayor, I have a responsibility to protect free speech, even from a president whose rhetoric and policies I find reprehensible. However, it is not my responsibility to subsidize it.

-snip-

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/10/12/minneapolis-mayor-we-saw-trump-stiffing-cities-his-other-rallies-so-we-told-him-pay-up/

3 replies, 1491 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Minneapolis mayor: We saw Trump stiffing cities for his other rallies, so we told him to pay up (Original post)
Eugene Oct 13 OP
Beakybird Oct 13 #1
BigmanPigman Oct 13 #2
Laurelin Oct 14 #3

Response to Eugene (Original post)

Sun Oct 13, 2019, 07:04 PM

1. Did Trump end up paying?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Beakybird (Reply #1)

Sun Oct 13, 2019, 07:21 PM

2. He'll take it to court and not pay his attorney...

it is his MO.

Reply to this post

Response to BigmanPigman (Reply #2)

Mon Oct 14, 2019, 08:40 AM

3. I don't understand

Why would anyone work for Trump? Seems crazy

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread