HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » 'Gossip': Morrison sidest...

Sun Sep 22, 2019, 02:46 AM

'Gossip': Morrison sidesteps claim Hillsong pastor snubbed by White House

‘Gossip’: Morrison sidesteps claim Hillsong pastor snubbed by White House
Prime minister dismisses reports he lobbied unsuccessfully to have Brian Houston attend state dinner

Katharine Murphy Political editor in Washington DC

@murpharoo
Sat 21 Sep 2019 21.39 EDT

Scott Morrison has sidestepped questions about whether he wanted the Hillsong Church pastor Brian Houston to be a guest at Friday night’s glittering black-tie state dinner hosted by Donald Trump, characterising the reports as “gossip”.

Asked whether it was true that he had lobbied to have Houston attend the dinner and been knocked back by the White House, the Australian prime minister told travelling reporters: “I don’t comment on gossip. It’s all gossip.”

Pressed several times whether that characterisation meant the story wasn’t true, Morrison repeated his formulation. “It’s gossip. I think I’ve answered the question.”

The Wall Street Journal revealed Morrison had wanted the Hillsong Church pastor to be a guest at the state dinner at the Rose Garden in the White House, which included special guests Lachlan Murdoch (but not his father, Rupert), the billionaire box magnate Anthony Pratt, miners Andrew ‘Twiggy’ Forrest and Gina Rinehart, and the golfer Greg Norman.

But according to the Journal, the White House declined Morrison’s request.

Houston, the founder of the evangelical Hillsong Church, failed to alert the police about allegations his father, Frank, had sexually assaulted children, and had a conflict of interest when he assumed responsibility for dealing with the accusations, according to the findings of the 2014 royal commission into institutional responses to child sexual abuse.

More:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/22/gossip-morrison-sidesteps-claim-hillsong-pastor-snubbed-by-white-house

2 replies, 734 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply 'Gossip': Morrison sidesteps claim Hillsong pastor snubbed by White House (Original post)
Judi Lynn Sep 22 OP
secondwind Sep 22 #1
AJT Sep 22 #2

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Sun Sep 22, 2019, 03:25 AM

1. The guests were ALL multi billionaire LAND OWNERS

from Australia. Oh my god, I had just read about these people yesterday!!

He’s looking for land, as usual. OMG

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Sun Sep 22, 2019, 03:58 AM

2. He wants to build a golf course in Australia.....

Well, we ended up with Murdoch, they can have 45.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread