HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Robert Reich: How Angry, ...

Thu Dec 22, 2011, 09:32 AM

Robert Reich: How Angry, White, Southern Men Took Over the GOP & Made Our Government Into a War Zone

Robert Reich's Blog / By Robert Reich

The Great Republican Crackup: How Angry, White, Southern Men Took Over the GOP and Made Our Government Into a War Zone
The GOP's radicalism is dangerous for America. We need two political parties solidly grounded in the realities of governing.

December 21, 2011 |

Two weeks before the Iowa caucuses, the Republican crackup threatens the future of the Grand Old Party more profoundly than at any time since the GOPís eclipse in 1932. Thatís bad for America.

The crackup isnít just Romney the smooth versus Gingrich the bomb-thrower.

Not just House Republicans who just scotched the deal to continue payroll tax relief and extended unemployment insurance benefits beyond the end of the year, versus Senate Republicans who voted overwhelmingly for it.

Not just Speaker John Boehner, who keeps making agreements he canít keep, versus Majority Leader Eric Cantor, who keeps making trouble he canít control. ...................(more)

The complete piece is at: http://www.alternet.org/teaparty/153534/the_great_republican_crackup%3A_how_angry%2C_white%2C_southern_men_took_over_the_gop_and_made_our_government_into_a_war_zone/

18 replies, 3931 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 18 replies Author Time Post
Reply Robert Reich: How Angry, White, Southern Men Took Over the GOP & Made Our Government Into a War Zone (Original post)
marmar Dec 2011 OP
DirkGently Dec 2011 #1
LineLineReply !
Bucky Dec 2011 #7
LuvNewcastle Dec 2011 #10
savalez Dec 2011 #12
LuvNewcastle Dec 2011 #18
HereSince1628 Dec 2011 #2
Odin2005 Dec 2011 #3
prepperdad Dec 2011 #4
JNelson6563 Dec 2011 #5
bemildred Dec 2011 #6
DonCoquixote Dec 2011 #8
sulphurdunn Dec 2011 #13
DonCoquixote Dec 2011 #14
sulphurdunn Dec 2011 #15
DonCoquixote Dec 2011 #17
ellisonz Dec 2011 #9
Mosaic Dec 2011 #11
Doctor_J Dec 2011 #16

Response to marmar (Original post)

Thu Dec 22, 2011, 09:37 AM

1. Republicans are trapped in their Who Can Be Extreme-ier contest.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to DirkGently (Reply #1)

Fri Dec 23, 2011, 03:38 PM

7. !

Well put

Reply to this post

Response to DirkGently (Reply #1)

Sat Dec 24, 2011, 12:24 PM

10. Oh yeah.

I can't stand a particular couple who are friends with my parents. My parents are conservative, but these friends of theirs are teabag nuts and every time they come visit while I'm over there, I have to leave. All they talk about is politics and when they get to talking it's like they're in a competition to see who can be the most ignorant. That stupid bigoted Southern 'common sense' is the soul of the Republican Party.

Reply to this post

Response to LuvNewcastle (Reply #10)

Mon Dec 26, 2011, 01:02 PM

12. I feel for you. Sounds horrible.

I'm curious. Have you told your parents that you think their friends are nuts?

Reply to this post

Response to savalez (Reply #12)

Wed Dec 28, 2011, 01:50 AM

18. Yes, they know.

They think they're friends are funny and that I'm overreacting. Even if they were all just kidding, which they aren't, none of their idiocy is the least bit amusing.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 22, 2011, 11:12 PM

3. The denial of the "Southern" aspect is strong, sadly.

People reject the obvious and call it "regional stereotyping" when it is pointed out that the South is the center of Movement Conservatism. It is our country's bastion of hierarchy, authoritarian religion, and anti-intellectualism. the Birthers are concentrated in the South.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 23, 2011, 12:08 AM

4. People are entitled to their opinions

Even if some of them are wrong and cannot work under modern economic conditions. Still because we are a representative democracy, there needs to be consensus building that takes the GOP's opinions into account.

[url]http://www.survivingeconomiccollapse.net/[/url]

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 23, 2011, 12:50 AM

5. Excelent read!

Thanks for posting it here.

Julie

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 23, 2011, 12:46 PM

6. Yep. We are still dealing with the failure of reconstruction, 150 years later. nt

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 24, 2011, 04:15 AM

8. I will not deny

That there are many Confederates here that frankly are still fighting the Civil War, Appomattox be damned, but there are many if us down here trying to fight these clowns.

Reply to this post

Response to DonCoquixote (Reply #8)

Mon Dec 26, 2011, 02:22 PM

13. We do fight these clowns.

Their most dishonorable deed was in double crossing the rest of the country after the Civil War. They accepted the terms of honorable surrender, furled their flags, then went home, unfurled them and created the romantic myth of the "noble cause" as a rationale to continue their war of session in the name of states rights because they were left in ownership of the states (a serious blunder on the part of the Union). An even greater pity is the ease with which the native southern aristocracy was and remains able to enlist poor whites (who get nothing in return) as spear carriers in their insurrection, using religion, racism and mythology to sucker them.

Reply to this post

Response to sulphurdunn (Reply #13)

Tue Dec 27, 2011, 02:20 AM

14. A very good point

I would not have wanted to make martyrs out of them, but you know damned well that if The CSA was breaking away from England, Lee and Davis would have gotten the Gallows. Being that many CSA were descendants of Scotch, they should have kept that in mind.

Reply to this post

Response to DonCoquixote (Reply #14)

Tue Dec 27, 2011, 11:38 AM

15. Speaking of Scotts.

I forgot to mention cross burning. The burning cross (Crann Tara) was originally used as a signal to call the highland clans to war in defense of their homes. The uses to which the KKK put it and the racist connotations it now has because of them is something for which all Americans of Scots descent should take deep and abiding offense.

Reply to this post

Response to sulphurdunn (Reply #15)

Tue Dec 27, 2011, 09:45 PM

17. True enough

To say nothing of the fact that the stars and bars is a St. Andrews Cross. Part of what makes people suspicious of government is the genuine fact that, as Celts, they suffered at the hands of the English, who invoked good government as an excuse to oppress the Celts. That does NOT justify what the Celtic Americans down south are doing to pothers, and sadly, themselves.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 24, 2011, 04:32 AM

9. Fear.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 26, 2011, 02:09 AM

11. Don't ever call it the grand old party again

Those sleazeballs are destroying our country. They should be tried for treason and executed like it says in the law.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 27, 2011, 05:10 PM

16. I think it has more to do with hate radio than Southern Tradition

These people are not traditional - they're brainwashed ignorami who believe ridiculous fantasies because they're force-fed them 24/7.

I am 95% sure we could take the country back by destroying hate radio.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread