HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Why Is This Happening? Ho...

Sat Aug 17, 2019, 10:35 PM

Why Is This Happening? Holding Washington accountable with Rep. Katie Porter: podcast and transcript

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/amp/ncna1042541?__twitter_impression=true

Why Is This Happening? Holding Washington accountable with Rep. Katie Porter: podcast and transcript

Chris Hayes speaks with freshmen Rep. Katie Porter about the moment she decided to run, how she's standing up to special interests and why she's in favor of an impeachment inquiry.

"SNIP......

KATIE PORTER: I ended up taking the SAT in seventh grade and getting into this program. And it was completely free, which was really important at the time. This was in 1987, the financial crisis, the farm crisis is in full swing, nobody has any money, my family included. I went to Iowa State, I ended up living in a dorm that my grandmother had lived in. Did a college class with other gifted kids in the morning and then in the afternoon, they did psychology experiments on us. Personality tests, career aptitude, social skills. So I'll never forget the career aptitude test, something must have been a little off on that instrument because the vast majority of my gifted middle school friends and I all got the same career. We all got vending machine repairman. I mean, lawyer was like fourth or fifth on the list so it wasn't like it wasn't in the list.

CHRIS HAYES: Maybe the calibration on that experimental design could use a little refining.

KATIE PORTER: Or maybe Chris, it's a really satisfying career. And I just haven't found my actual calling. I mean I reserve the right to think about what I might pursue after Congress.

CHRIS HAYES: So specific.

.......SNIP"

4 replies, 886 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Why Is This Happening? Holding Washington accountable with Rep. Katie Porter: podcast and transcript (Original post)
applegrove Aug 17 OP
applegrove Aug 17 #1
yonder Aug 17 #2
applegrove Aug 17 #3
Kind of Blue Aug 17 #4

Response to applegrove (Original post)

Sat Aug 17, 2019, 10:40 PM

1. She's funny and liberal and bright as hell. Maybe she will run for president

one day.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to applegrove (Reply #1)

Sat Aug 17, 2019, 11:03 PM

2. And from what I've seen so far, she would have my whole-hearted support. She is exceptional.

Last edited Sun Aug 18, 2019, 03:30 PM - Edit history (1)

Reply to this post

Response to yonder (Reply #2)

Sat Aug 17, 2019, 11:06 PM

3. And she has the ability to 'connect' on the most depressing of issues in a variety

of ways like Elizabeth Warren. Neat to know Warren and Harris think highly of her as she does them. And she is down to earth proving you can't judge those that go to elite schools. I love how she got Hayes with her reality "KATIE PORTER: Or maybe Chris, it's a really satisfying career." quip in my OP.

Reply to this post

Response to applegrove (Original post)

Sat Aug 17, 2019, 11:44 PM

4. 1,000 Recs. Real Talk! Rep. Porter is an exceptional human being.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread