HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » 'Double standard': A hard...

Thu Aug 8, 2019, 06:11 AM

'Double standard': A hard right American political conference (CPAC) spreads its wings in Sydney

Foreign guests include Jeanine Pirro, a prominent Fox News supporter of both Donald Trump and the National Rifle Association; the Brexit champion Nigel Farage and his former chief adviser, Raheem Kassam, who is known for extreme views against Islam, immigration and feminism. He has attracted criticism for calling the Koran “fundamentally evil” and Islam as a “fascistic ideology”.

I can't believe that the guy who's organizing this is not only someone I know, but was a classmate of mine 35 years ago!

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/double-standard-a-hard-right-american-political-conference-spreads-its-wings-in-sydney-20190808-p52fah.html

4 replies, 1216 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply 'Double standard': A hard right American political conference (CPAC) spreads its wings in Sydney (Original post)
rooboy Aug 2019 OP
stuffmatters Aug 2019 #1
rooboy Aug 2019 #2
stuffmatters Aug 2019 #3
rooboy Aug 2019 #4

Response to rooboy (Original post)

Thu Aug 8, 2019, 04:39 PM

1. Definitely unsettling when old classmates/friends resurface over on the dark side

I was shocked once to read about a college friend who Bob Woodward wrote became "Dick Cheney's adopted son." He was a major architect of Bush's Iraq War, both in planning and propagandizing. He later became Bush's National Security Director.
He dated two of my closest college friends, both passed on him eventually. I just considered him dull,
the kind of guy who you knew was in the room but so undistinguished that you never noticed him.

Our university was one of the most active and unified in antiwar protests in the late 60's. Yet he morphed into a powerful Bush-Cheney Chicken Hawk.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to stuffmatters (Reply #1)

Fri Aug 9, 2019, 02:59 AM

2. I joined DU in the midst of the Bush presidency and have a pretty good memory of the players.

Who was the college friend you're referring to?

Reply to this post

Response to rooboy (Reply #2)

Fri Aug 9, 2019, 03:21 AM

3. You've got mail!

(Probably not too wise to name him so publicly in my DU post, then it'll pop up in his google.)

Reply to this post

Response to stuffmatters (Reply #3)

Fri Aug 9, 2019, 04:11 AM

4. Thanks for that. Yes I certainly remember that rat bastard. n/t

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread