HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » The Woman Who Discovered ...

Mon Jul 22, 2019, 01:14 AM

The Woman Who Discovered the Cause of Global Warming Was Long Overlooked.

This is taken from an extraordinary former DU'er's Facebook page:

Her Story Is a Reminder to Champion All Women Leading on Climate

A woman shouts slogans while marching through the city centre during a demonstration by hundreds of school children calling for action on climate change in South Africa, on June 14, 2019, in Cape Town, as part of the international "Extinction Rebellion" (XR) environmental protests. Rodger Bosch—AFP/Getty Images

BY KATHARINE WILKINSON JULY 17, 2019

Wilkinson is an author of the New York Times bestseller Drawdown: The Most Comprehensive Plan Ever Proposed to Reverse Global Warming and vice president at Project Drawdown, a nonprofit lifting up climate solutions.

Eunice Newton Foote rarely gets the credit she’s due. The American scientist, who was born exactly 200 years ago on Wednesday, was the first woman in climate science. It was back in 1856 that Foote theorized that changes in carbon dioxide in the atmosphere could affect the Earth’s temperature. She broke scientific ground that remains more relevant than ever in 2019, but history overlooked her until just a few years ago.

Foote arrived at her breakthrough idea through experimentation. With an air pump, two glass cylinders, and four thermometers, she tested the impact of “carbonic acid gas” (the term for carbon dioxide in her day) against “common air.” When placed in the sun, she found that the cylinder with carbon dioxide trapped more heat and stayed hot longer.

From a simple experiment, she drew a profound conclusion: “An atmosphere of that gas would give to our earth a high temperature; and if as some suppose, at one period of its history the air had mixed with it a larger proportion than at present, an increased temperature…must have necessarily resulted.” In other words, she connected the dots between carbon dioxide and global warming.

Foote’s paper, “Circumstances Affecting the Heat of Sun’s Rays,” was presented in August 1856 at a meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and then published. (For unknown reasons, likely rules or social norms, it was read by a man from The Smithsonian, rather than Foote herself.) That was three years before Irish physicist John Tyndall published his own, more detailed work on heat-trapping gases — work typically credited as the foundation of climate science.

More:
https://time.com/5626806/eunice-foote-women-climate-science/?fbclid=IwAR143AyVc2Bh0lh1eTNywjuD8x8D7o1w9LqsDO5vRRexngDG3JK1WLkxLoc

6 replies, 1153 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply The Woman Who Discovered the Cause of Global Warming Was Long Overlooked. (Original post)
Judi Lynn Jul 22 OP
LittleGirl Jul 22 #1
BigmanPigman Jul 22 #6
Duppers Jul 22 #2
eppur_se_muova Jul 22 #3
pazzyanne Jul 22 #4
Uncle Joe Jul 22 #5

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Mon Jul 22, 2019, 03:25 AM

1. Of course

it was a woman. But who listened to women in those days?

Women need to rule the world because look what the men have given us? Greed and hypocrisy, etc etc.

I want women to end all of this b.s. and make it right again.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to LittleGirl (Reply #1)

Mon Jul 22, 2019, 11:43 PM

6. I am all for that!

All you have to do is look at the world over the past few thousand years as far as religion and politics go and know that men haven't been to successful at being anything but cruel and greedy. At least we should give women a chance for a few thousand years and see what the outcome is to compare and contrast objectively.

RESIST! Persist! Peace.

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 22, 2019, 04:12 AM

2. K&R. Women were often snubbed. 😡

"Perhaps the most famous snub: then-student Jocelyn Bell discovered the first radio pulsars in 1967, when she was a PhD student at Cambridge. The Nobel prize that recognised this landmark discovery in 1974, however, went to her male supervisor, Antony Hewish."
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/oct/07/five-women-the-nobel-prize-missed

(Hewish also wasn't a very nice person in other ways. My hubs knew him at the Cavendish Laboratory.)

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 22, 2019, 12:10 PM

3. Not just a woman, but a "Colonial". Tyndall was a FRS.

Back in those days, it mattered a lot. Not sure who read the Proc. of the AAAS abroad.

So, a doubly uphill battle for her.

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 22, 2019, 04:48 PM

4. This reminds me of Rachel Carlson and her book "Silent Spring".

In the 1950s when I was growing up, I never saw a bald eagle and hawks and owls were rarities. Thanks to Rachel Carlson and her followers who tackled the problem at the political level, I now have 4 nesting pairs of eagles within 30 miles of my home. I even had a young bald eagle visit my yard and spend 20 minutes wading in a pool of water after a rain storm. My 1 1/2 acre yard is home to many species of birds. I attribute this to the forward looking woman scientist who saw what was happening, researched it, presented her findings, and lead the fight to correct the problem. The future is in the hands of the women and the children. Never underestimate what a woman can do when she puts her mind to it!

Reply to this post

Mon Jul 22, 2019, 09:44 PM

5. Kicked and recommended.

Thanks for the thread Judi Lynn.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread