HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » New Alaska park bridge ai...

Sat Jun 15, 2019, 05:38 PM

New Alaska park bridge aimed at limiting bear encounters

New Alaska park bridge aimed at limiting bear encounters
Dan Joling, Associated Press Updated 4:23 pm CDT, Friday, June 14, 2019

FILE - In this July 4, 2013, file photo, a bear walks between a viewing stand and a fisherman in Katmai National Park and Preserve, Alaska. The National Park Service has completed a project to relieve an Alaska traffic jam. A new elevated bridge and boardwalk across the Brooks River in Katmai National Park and Preserve is expected to halt heart-stopping encounters between human pedestrians and brown bears both using the old bridge. (AP File Photo/Mark Thiessen, File)

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) The National Park Service has completed a project to relieve an Alaska traffic jam.

A new elevated bridge and boardwalk across the Brooks River in Katmai National Park and Preserve has replaced a river-level bridge that was often closed to human tourists because it was occupied by locals brown bears.

The replacement for the old floating bridge was more than a decade in the making.

"Each phase of the project (planning, designing, project development, funding, and construction) took time and involved diverse stakeholder groups," said park Superintendent Mark Sturm in an email response to questions.

More:
https://www.chron.com/news/us/article/New-Alaska-park-bridge-aimed-at-limiting-bear-13998563.php

3 replies, 670 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply New Alaska park bridge aimed at limiting bear encounters (Original post)
Judi Lynn Jun 15 OP
SWBTATTReg Jun 15 #1
Bayard Jun 15 #2
eppur_se_muova Jun 16 #3

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Sat Jun 15, 2019, 06:12 PM

1. Yikes...all there seems to be between the bear and fisherman in the water is 50 feet or so of ...

grasslands/shoreline/water...if the fisherman catches a fish I'd be worried that the bear would come into the water and grab the fish...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Jun 15, 2019, 07:10 PM

2. Now you won't have these photo op's

Reply to this post

Sun Jun 16, 2019, 03:50 PM

3. Dude ... that's my creek you're fishing in.

I don't like to feel crowded, know what I'm sayin' ?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread