HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Samantha Bee Reveals She ...

Wed May 15, 2019, 02:47 PM

Samantha Bee Reveals She Was 'Never in Contention' to Replace Jon Stewart on 'The Daily Show': 'It W

‘I mean, literally, no one called or even emailed from the network—at all,’ Samantha Bee tells ‘The Last Laugh’ podcast host Matt Wilstein.

When Jon Stewart announced that he was stepping down as host of The Daily Show in early 2015, there was one name that floated to the top of the list for those whose job it is to wildly speculate about who might succeed him: Samantha Bee.

At that point, Bee had spent 12 years at the show, making her its longest-serving correspondent—a distinction she still holds four years later. John Oliver, who had filled in for Stewart two summers earlier while the host directed his first feature film, would have been a no-brainer as well, but by then he had already been snatched up by HBO for Last Week Tonight. In the eyes of many late-night pundits (myself included) Bee was the obvious choice.

When I suggest during this week’s episode of The Last Laugh podcast that Bee’s name was “floated” as a possible successor to Stewart, she acknowledges that it was “floated out in the world” before adding, “I’m not sure it was really floated at Comedy Central.”

And when I tell her I was “surprised” she didn’t get the gig, Bee replies, “I was wildly unsurprised. They didn’t ask me or talk to me about it. I mean, literally, no one called or even emailed from the network—at all.”

Asked how that made her feel, Bee admits it was “terrible.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/samantha-bee-reveals-she-was-never-in-contention-to-replace-jon-stewart-on-the-daily-show-it-was-awful?source=articles&via=twitter_page

3 replies, 1207 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Samantha Bee Reveals She Was 'Never in Contention' to Replace Jon Stewart on 'The Daily Show': 'It W (Original post)
demmiblue Wednesday OP
spooky3 Wednesday #1
qazplm135 Wednesday #2
riverine Wednesday #3

Response to demmiblue (Original post)

Wed May 15, 2019, 02:49 PM

1. Sexism. I thought I heard at the time that she was

not interested in hosting so many nights per week.

Her show is fantastic. I DVR it so that I never miss it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed May 15, 2019, 03:08 PM

2. I'm not a big fan to be honest

but clearly a lot of people are, and thus clearly she should have at least been considered and the fact that she wasn't is pretty obviously sexism.

Reply to this post

Wed May 15, 2019, 08:04 PM

3. I am curious to know how much CC's ratings have dropped since Stewart and Colbert left

I know I don't watch anymore.

I gave Trevor Noah a chance but he isn't funny.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread