HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » After the White House Ban...

Fri Nov 9, 2018, 04:07 PM

After the White House Banned Jim Acosta, Should Other Journalists Boycott Its Press Briefings?

Snip[/iThis one, however, was easy to get right, in part because Donald Trump the candidate had made his attitude toward the press clear, and in part because I had worked as a journalist in Russia for many years. I may have been the first journalist blacklisted by the Kremlin back in 2000, Vladimir Putinís first year as President. The Putin Administration went on to reduce the number of regular Presidential press conferences to one a year. (Sometimes Putin will be moved to hold an additional press conference or two, and he generally takes part in a brief, carefully orchestrated press appearance after meetings with foreign leaders.) The Trump Administration began asserting its power over White House correspondents by establishing that lying was a feature of its communications with the media, then excluded cameras from some White House briefings, then discontinued the practice of daily briefings, and has finally banned a reporter from the White House.

Snip:
The Trump Administration has the media in a vise. On the one hand, most of what comes out of White House mouths is poison to the public conversation: because itís a lie, or an expression of hate, or both. Simply reporting Trumpís lies and incendiary comments, however critically, serves to entrench his world view as a part of our shared reality. At the same time, he is the President. His Twitter pronouncements find a sympathetic audience among tens of millions of Americans. Refusing to engage with his words would mean refusing to engage with Trump voters and with the Trump Administration itself. It would mean walking away from politics altogether, which, for journalists, would be an abdication of responsibility.

[link:https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-columnists/should-the-press-boycott-the-white-house-press-briefings?

4 replies, 1184 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply After the White House Banned Jim Acosta, Should Other Journalists Boycott Its Press Briefings? (Original post)
blueseas Nov 2018 OP
dameatball Nov 2018 #1
LakeArenal Nov 2018 #4
Turbineguy Nov 2018 #2
skylucy Nov 2018 #3

Response to blueseas (Original post)

Fri Nov 9, 2018, 04:13 PM

1. No. They should double down on Acosta's example, ask tough questiions and refuse to be lied to.

When Trump continues to ridicule them and cancel their credentials, let the American people see what is being done to freedom of the press. Many will not care, but most will. Just my opinion.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to dameatball (Reply #1)

Fri Nov 9, 2018, 05:12 PM

4. Yes. Show light on them.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2018, 04:16 PM

2. Then Fox News would control the news.

Reply to this post

Fri Nov 9, 2018, 04:24 PM

3. Trump and his toady Sarah Huckabee Sanders would LOVE it if the legitimate press

stopped showing up to White House pressers. Then Infowars, Fox, etc. would have have more seats. I will say this though---Journalists should stand up for each other (as we saw some of yesterday). And all of them need to start pushing back HARD just as Mr. Acosta and a few others did yesterday. I also hate it when they laugh when Trump "jokingly" insults fellow journalists. CNN is doing a very good job debunking Trumps lies today. Wish they could do it in real time at the bottom of the screen as the Liar in Chief is speaking.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread