HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Rep. Barbara Lee: ‏...

Tue Sep 18, 2018, 02:42 PM

Rep. Barbara Lee: ‏ This is what structural racism looks like.

By 2020, white households are projected to have 86X more wealth than black households. This is what structural racism looks like.
We need to build wealth for ALL Americans – but @HouseGOP keeps passing bills that prey on black & Latino families while billionaires hoard wealth.

Median wealth of black Americans 'will fall to zero by 2053', warns new report

Study predicts huge and growing gulf between white US households and everyone else could be disastrous for future of America’s middle class

Growing up in the projects of Baltimore in the 1980s, things like savings accounts, stocks and bonds were completely foreign to Mysia Hamilton. Asked if her parents could have passed along some money to help her buy a car, go to school or put into a house, she can’t help but chuckle.

“No, that wasn’t there. There was no wealth. My mother was working, she was providing – we weren’t on the street begging – but there was no money in terms of ‘here you go’. No money to pass down.”

https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/2017/sep/13/median-wealth-of-black-americans-will-fall-to-zero-by-2053-warns-new-report?CMP=twt_gu

2 replies, 982 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Rep. Barbara Lee: ‏ This is what structural racism looks like. (Original post)
BeckyDem Sep 18 OP
Igel Sep 18 #1
DavidDvorkin Sep 18 #2

Response to BeckyDem (Original post)

Tue Sep 18, 2018, 04:18 PM

1. I've been lumped in with Gates, I see.

And so's my mother-in-law, with her pension, 3 dependents, and no savings.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Igel (Reply #1)

Tue Sep 18, 2018, 04:43 PM

2. Yes. Talking about total wealth owned by white households is meaningless.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread