HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » The Trump Presidency is t...

Fri Jul 13, 2018, 12:10 AM

The Trump Presidency is the Best Worst Thing to Happen to the United States

Even though we live the age of information, it’s surprisingly difficult to keep tabs on the state of America. If you feel like every time you open up your browser there’s some bit of weirdness going on, you’re not alone. Sometimes it’s small stories, like members of Mar-A-Lago getting tours of Air Force One. Sometimes they’re huge stories, like one-year-olds in immigration court. Then sometimes they’re just perplexing, like our relationship to the World Health Organization and the subject of breastfeeding. And that’s just the last week.

Every now and then a tweet will pass through my echo chamber from a wide-eyed Democrat lamenting about how things would be so much different if Trump hadn’t become President. And I get why that thinking is comforting; sure, there would still be battles to fight, particularly when it comes to immigration, but at least you could brunch without worrying about what kind of madness your phone is going to buzz into your life. In a world without a Trump presidency, you might even be able to go a whole couple of days without ever hearing about what the President was up to.

But this is our reality, Trump is our President, and, while no one really wants to admit it, America needed this kind of wakeup call.

Left or right, if you disagree with the policies and decisions of the Trump administration, you have to acknowledge that they’re not happening due to his will alone. They’re happening because there are literally millions of your fellow citizens out there who think these things are good, from the rustbelt workers whose economic anxieties I’m supposed to sympathize with to the elites in the upper levels of government. Not only do they think they’re good, but they have no problem in participating in the administration's actions.

Read more: http://www.houstonpress.com/news/thanks-to-president-trump-we-know-the-america-republicans-really-want-10645362

6 replies, 1917 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply The Trump Presidency is the Best Worst Thing to Happen to the United States (Original post)
TexasTowelie Friday OP
CaliforniaPeggy Friday #1
alwaysinasnit Friday #2
dalton99a Friday #3
Nitram Friday #4
malthaussen Friday #5
Nitram Friday #6

Response to TexasTowelie (Original post)

Fri Jul 13, 2018, 12:17 AM

1. The whole article is an interesting read.

It makes a clear case for all the things that are going on today that we find so abhorrent. So evil. So WRONG.

I think the author is on to something.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Jul 13, 2018, 12:32 AM

2. powerful food for thought. n/t

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 13, 2018, 12:36 AM

3. Stupid, nasty, sick, creepy cult:

Reply to this post

Fri Jul 13, 2018, 08:38 AM

4. I guess we could borrow from the economists and call Trump's election "a major correction" in the

political system. An adjustment we just had to make sooner or later.

Reply to this post

Response to Nitram (Reply #4)

Fri Jul 13, 2018, 10:34 AM

5. Good point.

This crap has been building all century. I thought it started leaking at the seams when Mr Obama was President: clearly there were a number of our fellow citizens who couldn't stand that, despite the fact that he was of good character and reasonable competence. The cognitive dysfunction started to be obvious then, now it is about out-of-control.

We may avoid an economic Depression (or we can call it something else). It looks like the social Depression is front-and-center.

-- Mal

Reply to this post

Response to malthaussen (Reply #5)

Fri Jul 13, 2018, 01:08 PM

6. Naively, I hoped Obama's election was the start of a new and more enlightened era.

How wrong can a person be!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread