HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Collins And Murkowski Hed...

Tue Jul 10, 2018, 07:34 AM

Collins And Murkowski Hedge Their Bets After Kavanaugh Announcement

Source: TPM

Sens. Susan Collins (R-ME) and Lisa Murkowski (R-AK), widely regarded as Democrats’ best chance to sink Brett Kavanaugh’s Supreme Court nomination, hedged their bets after the announcement Monday to obfuscate how they’ll vote on the candidate.

According to a Monday Politico report, both women notably declined President Donald Trump’s invitation to the White House during the announcement ceremony.

However, Collins released a statement indicating a positive reaction to Trump’s choice, citing Kavanaugh’s “impressive credentials and extensive experience,” though she did not confirm which way she would vote.

Murkowski’s response was reportedly more tepid, saying only that she intends to participate in a “rigorous and exacting” vetting process.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/collins-and-murkowski-hedge-bets-after-kavanaugh-announcement

5 replies, 1131 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Collins And Murkowski Hedge Their Bets After Kavanaugh Announcement (Original post)
Snellius Jul 10 OP
berni_mccoy Jul 10 #1
The Genealogist Jul 10 #2
Docreed2003 Jul 10 #3
world wide wally Jul 10 #4
stuffmatters Jul 10 #5

Response to Snellius (Original post)

Tue Jul 10, 2018, 07:49 AM

1. Both will vote in favor of seating him.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jul 10, 2018, 07:51 AM

2. The suspense is killing me

O heavens him will they vote? All eyes are on them. We must all wait with baited breath as these two hem and haw around as if we don't know how they will vote. Especially Collins will play the maverick and then crumple like the paper tiger she is.

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 10, 2018, 08:03 AM

3. So, in others words...

Collins is a strong "YES", and Murkowski likely is as well! Color me not shocked!

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 10, 2018, 09:58 AM

4. I hope they consider the weight of the burden they will carry when Roe is overturned.

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 10, 2018, 05:15 PM

5. Murowski seems a slightly better possibility than Collins to defy the KOCH/GOP Obedience Machine

The Koch's Tea Party defeated Murkowski in the primary & forced her to run and win as a write in in 2010. She has some basis for trusting/needing her Alaska voters over the Koch controlled GOP.

That's my oh so slender ray of hope on Murkowski.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread