HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Dana Milbank: Lets hear i...

Thu Feb 8, 2018, 02:39 PM

Dana Milbank: Lets hear it for the president or else

“I got a standing ovation. In fact, they said it was the biggest standing ovation since Peyton Manning had won the Super Bowl, and they said it was equal. I got a standing ovation. It lasted for a long period of time.”
— President Trump

“I live for the applause, applause, applause
“I live for the applause-plause, live for the applause-plause”
— Lady Gaga

Many are denouncing President Trump for saying Monday that those who didn’t applaud him during his State of the Union address were “un-American” and guilty of the capital offense of treason. But where others see outrage, I see opportunity.

So in need of praise is this fragile man that the lavishing or withholding of this commodity could be a negotiating tool: He gets more applause if he brings less crazy.

His need for us to rise and put hands together is so potent that, last month in Nashville, he commanded an audience to “get up” and give him a standing ovation. He further informed them that “you are so lucky that I gave you that privilege” of voting for him.

During last week’s State of the Union address, Trump applauded himself — noisily — several times and at one point beckoned to Democrats to applaud, putting his hands to his ears.

In October, Trump boasted no fewer than four times about the applause he had been given at a meeting with Senate Republicans: “Multiple standing ovations! … a love fest with standing ovations. … Really, they just gave me a standing O!” During the campaign and even earlier, he tweeted about his O’s.

Conversely, the president is angry when he does not hear clapping. At a Republican congressional retreat last week, he complained that during his address, Democrats “sat there stone cold, no smile, no applause.” By Monday, he had a solution: “Can we call that treason? Why not? I mean, they certainly didn’t seem to love our country very much.”

http://www.heraldnet.com/opinion/milbank-lets-hear-it-for-the-president-or-else/?utm_source=DAILY+HERALD&utm_campaign=691a891cf6-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_d81d073bb4-691a891cf6-228635337

4 replies, 1354 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Dana Milbank: Lets hear it for the president or else (Original post)
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin Feb 2018 OP
louis-t Feb 2018 #1
Different Drummer Feb 2018 #2
world wide wally Feb 2018 #3
Lil Missy Feb 2018 #4

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Original post)

Thu Feb 8, 2018, 02:45 PM

1. A very sick man.

Can't stand the sight of him, won't listen to him.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Feb 8, 2018, 06:32 PM

3. Does puking count?

What if we slap the person next to us? It makes a sound, doesn't it?

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 11, 2018, 11:58 PM

4. They love their country. That is WHY they, (and we) won't clap for you.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread