HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Government had no role in...

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 06:51 AM

Government had no role in my late-term abortion struggle. Let's keep it that way.

The morning of surgery, I told my husband: 'Protect my life, protect our daughter, and protect my ability to have future children, in that order.'

Source: USA Today

My first pregnancy happened easily as my husband was finishing his first year of law school. It didnít take long for the complications to begin.

Bleeding in my first trimester was treated with hormones, and the pregnancy was stabilized. I got a deep tooth infection and that was difficult to treat. I was afraid to take pain medicine even though the pain was excruciating. Eventually, I had a root canal and a cap on my molar. I was worried about what the stress, infection and treatment had done to my fragile pregnancy. A friend tried to console me, saying she had no doubt I would become a mother, even if this time I was off to a troubled start.

But another problem had been discovered ó a grapefruit-sized fibroid in my uterus that could threaten both my health and my pregnancy. It was something we would have to watch, the doctor told me. Because of the fibroid, a C-section would be my only safe option for delivery, should I be fortunate enough to carry the pregnancy to term.

My own pregnancy story came to mind when I read that the Senate would vote on a bill to ban almost all abortions after 20 weeks. Not only would the bill have had little impact on abortions in the U.S., it failed Monday to win the 60-vote supermajority necessary to proceed. Womenís lives were put up for a vote as a political maneuver, to get senators on the record in an election year for their support of a medical procedure that makes many Americans deeply uncomfortable.

Read more: https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2018/02/01/government-had-no-role-late-term-abortion-struggle-keep-way-brie-loskota-column/1080150001/

4 replies, 495 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Government had no role in my late-term abortion struggle. Let's keep it that way. (Original post)
demmiblue Feb 6 OP
dawg day Feb 6 #1
lastlib Feb 6 #2
Nitram Feb 6 #3
CTyankee Feb 7 #4

Response to demmiblue (Original post)

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 07:41 AM

1. It's important to be clear on what most late-term abortions are...

They are usually necessary to protect the woman's health, or because the fetus is not going to be okay.

For example, women diagnosed with cancer during pregnancy should not be forced to postpone chemo in order to save the pregnancy. The woman's well-being is more important than forcing her to give birth.

At the root of it, this kind of bill says, "Women are less important than fetuses." or rather, "Less important than our attempts to appeal to our base."

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to dawg day (Reply #1)

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 09:27 AM

2. Exactly.

Forced-birtherism is abuse of women.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 6, 2018, 09:34 AM

3. Thank you for sharing a very personal part of you life.

Very meaningfully helps us understand the issues and what is at stake.

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 7, 2018, 06:19 PM

4. My daughter developed HELLP Syndrome early in her 8th month of pregnancy and had to have

a C Section to save her life. Fortunately, her son was born healthy and she was fine. There was a fine line here and I was relieved it all worked out.

But it was scary...

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread