HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » The Biggest Secret - My L...

Wed Jan 3, 2018, 11:42 AM

The Biggest Secret - My Life as a New York Times Reporter in the Shadow of the War on Terror

by James Risen

Bundled against the freezing wind, my lawyers and I were about to reach the courthouse door when two news photographers launched into a perp-walk shoot. As a reporter, I had witnessed this classic scene dozens of times, watching in bemusement from the sidelines while frenetic photographers and TV crews did their business. I never thought I would be the perp, facing those whirring cameras.

As I walked past the photographers into the courthouse that morning in January 2015, I saw a group of reporters, some of whom I knew personally. They were here to cover my case, and now they were waiting and watching me. I felt isolated and alone.

My lawyers and I took over a cramped conference room just outside the courtroom of U.S. District Judge Leonie Brinkema, where we waited for her to begin the pretrial hearing that would determine my fate. My lawyers had been working with me on this case for so many years that they now felt more like friends. We often engaged in gallows humor about what it was going to be like for me once I went to jail. But they had used all their skills to make sure that didnít happen and had even managed to keep me out of a courtroom and away from any questioning by federal prosecutors.

Until now.

Read the rest at: https://theintercept.com/2018/01/03/my-life-as-a-new-york-times-reporter-in-the-shadow-of-the-war-on-terror/

7 replies, 1107 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply The Biggest Secret - My Life as a New York Times Reporter in the Shadow of the War on Terror (Original post)
PoliticAverse Jan 3 OP
Va Lefty Jan 3 #1
murielm99 Jan 3 #2
PoliticAverse Jan 3 #3
mr_lebowski Jan 3 #4
ret5hd Jan 3 #5
UpInArms Jan 3 #6
Scruffy1 Jan 4 #7

Response to PoliticAverse (Original post)

Wed Jan 3, 2018, 12:41 PM

1. Excellent article. Thanks for posting!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Jan 3, 2018, 12:48 PM

2. The Intercept?

Really?

Reply to this post

Response to murielm99 (Reply #2)

Wed Jan 3, 2018, 12:51 PM

3. James Risen. Really. n/t

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 3, 2018, 01:10 PM

4. Interesting but could've used some judicious editing ...

Too long IMHO, a bit unfocused, and repetitive.

But an interesting story on a very important topic.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 3, 2018, 05:23 PM

5. Excellent and interesting story.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 3, 2018, 05:57 PM

6. Fascinating read ... thank you for posting

From the article:

By 2002, I was also starting to clash with the editors over our coverage of the Bush administrationís claims about pre-war intelligence on Iraq. My stories raising questions about the intelligence, particularly the administrationís claims of a link between Iraq and Al Qaeda, were being cut, buried, or held out of the paper altogether.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 4, 2018, 11:58 AM

7. The New York Times bent over backwards for the Bushes war.

They also got rid of Chris Hedges right away. Of course, the rest of the MSM marched in lockstep.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread