HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Former sharecropper spent...

Thu Dec 14, 2017, 08:14 PM

Former sharecropper spent most of Election Day in Alabama driving voters to the polls and has for

SARAH K. BURRIS
14 DEC 2017 AT 18:59 ET†

Perman Hardy was one of thousands of African-Americans who toiled on white menís land in Alabama over the years. She picked cotton after school as a child. In the years since, she finished her education and has worked as an in-home care nurse. However, her most lasting legacy is the time she has spent getting voters to the polls.† †

The 59-year-old woman has dedicated over two decades to trying to get every single voter in Lowndes County to the polls. Her county boasts 10,458 residents, most of whom are people of color. Itís been struck with what Hardy calls ďan epidemic povertyĒ and thatís why she believes itís so important for people to vote, AL.com reported.

ďThatís my goal is to make sure everyone votes. Thatís always been my goal. This is what I do every election,Ē Hardy said driving along wearing a Santa hat.

ďI took some people today whoíve never cast a ballot before,Ē she said of the most recent election between Roy Moore and Doug Jones.

Hardy typically spends more than 10 hours driving voters to the polls if they donít have transportation or canít make the drive without help. She personally drove over 50 people on Tuesday to polling sites in the county. Many of those she took were supporters of Jones, who contributed to the overwhelming support from the black community.

More:
https://www.rawstory.com/2017/12/former-sharecropper-spent-most-of-election-day-in-alabama-driving-voters-to-the-polls-and-has-for-the-past-25-years/

2 replies, 1191 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Former sharecropper spent most of Election Day in Alabama driving voters to the polls and has for (Original post)
Judi Lynn Dec 2017 OP
EricMaundry Dec 2017 #1
GaryCnf Dec 2017 #2

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Thu Dec 14, 2017, 08:18 PM

1. Kick - Rec - Everybody

If this isn't a "#1Greatest" whatever then I will have difficulty understanding that.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Thu Dec 14, 2017, 09:11 PM

2. It is a beautiful thing to see

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread