HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Heres how Trump will ulti...

Wed Nov 29, 2017, 06:52 AM

Heres how Trump will ultimately betray his own voters

and hes already begun

Among the stranger features of the 2016 election campaign was the success of Donald Trump, a creature of globalization, as an America First savior of the white working class. A candidate who amassed billions of dollars by playing globalization for all it was worth he manufactured clothes and accessories bearing his name in low-wage economies and invested in corporations eager to outsource won over millions of voters by promising to keep jobs here in the US.

Admittedly, only a third of his voters earned less than $50,000 a year and cultural and racial resentment, not just economic grievances, drove many of them to Trump. Still, in an ever more economically unequal America, his populist economic message resonated. It helped him win the presidency by peeling off white working-class votes in key regions, particularly the industrial Midwest. Now hes stuck with his populist narrative, and heres the problem for him: its not likely to work not given the economic realities of this planet, not for long anyway.

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/11/heres-how-trump-will-ultimately-betray-his-own-voters-and-hes-already-begun/amp/

Long read, but we'll worth it. Lots of good info.

4 replies, 1946 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Heres how Trump will ultimately betray his own voters (Original post)
Arkansas Granny Nov 2017 OP
Iliyah Nov 2017 #1
Arkansas Granny Nov 2017 #2
2naSalit Nov 2017 #3
Bragi2 Nov 2017 #4

Response to Arkansas Granny (Original post)

Wed Nov 29, 2017, 07:18 AM

1. At this point in time I can care less about his supporters.

But alas, a lot of t-rump's supporters are intertwined with people across of the USA that I care about and who will be extremely affected by the effed up party called the Republicans.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Iliyah (Reply #1)

Wed Nov 29, 2017, 07:33 AM

2. Yes, Trump's policies will affect us all, not just the fools who voted for him.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 29, 2017, 02:19 PM

3. Good read, but...

it, as do most analyses of the election tend to do, accepts that the election was not stolen... I can't accept that it wasn't. Since I see it as a stolen election I see this sort of article to be glossing over that part and actually helping to mask the probability that it was.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 29, 2017, 03:49 PM

4. I don't buy it

Trump voters knew he was a racist, xenophobic, woman-hater. Down deep, they are with him all the way.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread