HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Editorials & Other Articles (Forum) » Americans saved my life':...

Sat Nov 21, 2015, 03:57 PM

Americans saved my life': former refugees from Iraq perplexed by US fears

Saturday, November 21, 2015

Displaced Kurds from the Persian Gulf war in 1991 say politicians’ backlash against taking in Syrian refugees is a stark contrast to what they experienced

As US lawmakers voted this week to block the entry of Syrian refugees into the United States in the aftermath of terrorist attacks in Paris, Abdulla Sindi struck a despondent tone.

As one of hundreds of thousands of Iraqi Kurds displaced by the Persian Gulf war, Sindi knows firsthand the plight of refugees fleeing conflict and recalls as though it were yesterday the sense of desperation looming over temporary resettlement camps.

Sindi remembers the daily uncertainty confronted by his family when placed at a refugee camp lacking the most basic of resources. The image of food and supplies airdropped by American planes under Operation Provide Comfort stays with him to this day – it was what motivated Sindi to accept two deployments training and advising US troops after the country’s invasion of Iraq in 2003.

“Americans saved my life,” Sindi told the Guardian. “And so I worked with them and returned the favor.”

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/21/iraqi-kurdish-refugees-us-response-syria

2 replies, 805 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Americans saved my life': former refugees from Iraq perplexed by US fears (Original post)
Jefferson23 Nov 2015 OP
Liberal_in_LA Nov 2015 #1
Jefferson23 Nov 2015 #2

Response to Jefferson23 (Original post)

Sat Nov 21, 2015, 04:07 PM

1. Thank u for posting this

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Liberal_in_LA (Reply #1)

Sat Nov 21, 2015, 04:26 PM

2. You're very welcome and it is a good piece, yes. n/t

Reply to this post