HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » New Cold War May Emerge i...

Tue May 20, 2014, 06:07 PM

New Cold War May Emerge in Ukraine Crisis, Medvedev Says

Source: Bloomberg News

Russia is being pulled into a new Cold War with the U.S. and its allies, who are using economic warfare reminiscent of the Soviet Union under Leonid Brezhnev, Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev said.

Russia has prepared a raft of retaliatory steps in response to potentially wider sanctions imposed by the U.S. and the European Union, Medvedev, 48, said yesterday in an interview with Bloomberg Television at his residence outside Moscow. While he didn’t give details of Russia’s potential steps, he described the punitive measures as a double-edged sword.

“We are slowly but surely moving toward a second Cold War, which no one needs,” Medvedev said. “We haven’t especially commented on” sanctions “or responded to them harshly, although we could do something unpleasant or offensive to those countries that are introducing these sanctions.” He blamed U.S. President Barack Obama, his one-time partner in a reset of relations, for a lack of “political

Read more: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-05-20/second-cold-war-may-emerge-in-ukraine-medvedev-says.html

Looks like the neocons get what they wanted....and the American people lose as the MIC gains.

28 replies, 2731 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 28 replies Author Time Post
Reply New Cold War May Emerge in Ukraine Crisis, Medvedev Says (Original post)
go west young man May 2014 OP
uhnope May 2014 #1
nyabingi May 2014 #2
Post removed May 2014 #4
nyabingi May 2014 #7
EmilyAnne May 2014 #9
uhnope May 2014 #14
EmilyAnne May 2014 #10
Throd May 2014 #11
uhnope May 2014 #15
EmilyAnne May 2014 #17
MBS May 2014 #21
nyabingi May 2014 #3
go west young man May 2014 #5
smiley May 2014 #6
EmilyAnne May 2014 #8
smiley May 2014 #12
EmilyAnne May 2014 #16
nyabingi May 2014 #19
EmilyAnne May 2014 #20
MBS May 2014 #22
nyabingi May 2014 #24
nyabingi May 2014 #23
Tommy_Carcetti May 2014 #27
uhnope May 2014 #13
nyabingi May 2014 #18
uhnope May 2014 #26
nyabingi May 2014 #28
uhnope May 2014 #25

Response to go west young man (Original post)

Tue May 20, 2014, 06:29 PM

1. Impartial spokesman, Russia Prime Minister, blames Obama! LOL

Putin loves a new Cold War. Insulated dictators love to blame all the ills of their own corruption on the outside, they love to distract from their destruction of basic freedoms. Putin was offered a gift-wrapped chance to join the world community with the Olympics and the Reset. How did he respond? By throwing Pussy Riot into prison and invading Crimea. These Russian dictators all lose their minds, it's so predictable.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to uhnope (Reply #1)

Tue May 20, 2014, 06:42 PM

2. Yep, all of this is Putin's fault

He instigated the coup and got his favorites put into power in Kiev, welcomed NATO forces into Poland and Estonia and more US warships into the Black Sea. Putin created all this mischief against the US (or was it against Ukraine?) in order to restart the good ol' Cold War antagonisms. Like you and Angela Merkel have stated, he's lost his mind.

All sarcasm aside, I think the Russians must feel they have a good chance of a more eastern-centric president getting elected in Ukraine during their coming elections, otherwise he wouldn't have started pulling his troops from the border and suggested the breakaway regions remain in Ukraine. He apparently feels more at ease with the situation as it is now.

The US and EU has done nothing useful in this whole crisis but make Russia and China realize that they had better get serious about solidifying their economic and military associations since it is no secret that the US sees both as enemies.

Reply to this post

Response to nyabingi (Reply #2)

Response to Post removed (Reply #4)

Tue May 20, 2014, 07:24 PM

7. Yep, that hit the nail on the head

Reply to this post

Tue May 20, 2014, 07:46 PM

9. "Russia Stands For Freedom!" Lol.

Seriously. Your posts just get more and more hilarious.

"AngloZionist Empire?"
"Neo-Nazi freaks in Kiev?"
"If plan 'A' was to seize all of the Ukraine, put a pro-US neo-Nazi and hysterically russophobic regime in power, and take over Crimea for the US/NATO?"

This is just hysterical.

Reply to this post

Response to EmilyAnne (Reply #9)

Tue May 20, 2014, 08:58 PM

14. hysterical but creepy too

Reply to this post

Tue May 20, 2014, 07:52 PM

10. Ah! Just noticed the author's Ron Paul quote.

Makes more sense.

AngloZionist!! LOL.

Reply to this post

Tue May 20, 2014, 08:10 PM

11. "AngloZionist Empire"?

Speaks volumes.

Reply to this post

Tue May 20, 2014, 09:49 PM

15. Again a Putinista cites an anti-Semitic, Holocaust-denying website

"It is rather impossible to grasp the magnitude of the crimes against humanity performed by the Jewish state in the name of the Jewish people"

and here's their foray into Holocaust denial
http://vineyardsaker.blogspot.com/2011/03/predictably-youtube-censors-alan.html

Reply to this post

Response to uhnope (Reply #15)

Tue May 20, 2014, 10:08 PM

17. I really can't believe the bilge that is posted here. nt

Reply to this post

Response to EmilyAnne (Reply #17)

Wed May 21, 2014, 09:53 AM

21. + 1 n/t

Reply to this post

Response to go west young man (Original post)

Tue May 20, 2014, 06:45 PM

3. Margaret Kimberly from Black Agenda Report

is one of my favorites commentators and she nails the Ukrainian situation is this article. Check it out:

http://www.blackagendareport.com/content/freedom-rider-america-brings-hell-ukraine

Reply to this post

Response to nyabingi (Reply #3)

Tue May 20, 2014, 06:51 PM

5. Thanks for that....very interesting read.

It's amazing how well some on the true left get it....yet the MSM continues to push the false narrative...even in regards to the Odessa Massacre...I could of never imagined how shameless and pathetic our government and media was....it's all there to see now...for those who are brave enough to look. The video's are everywhere.

Reply to this post

Tue May 20, 2014, 06:59 PM

6. This is the first time I'm hearing about any of these massacres

for this not to be mentioned in our msm is very telling.

Reply to this post

Response to smiley (Reply #6)

Tue May 20, 2014, 07:30 PM

8. They've been covered in the MSM, but carry on. nt

Reply to this post

Response to EmilyAnne (Reply #8)

Tue May 20, 2014, 08:31 PM

12. Any chance you have some links to go with that sarcasm?

I'm not doubting you, but I rarely watch TV other than the morning news.

BTW - your snarkiness is obnoxious and quite unproductive. Especially when you fail to back it up with anything meaningful. But thanks for playing anyway.

Reply to this post

Response to smiley (Reply #12)

Tue May 20, 2014, 10:07 PM

16. The links being discussed in this thread are so utterly absurd

that there really is nothing meaningful to add.
Its like providing evidence to my four year old daughter that a flying pink pony named Pinkie Pie does not secretly live in the garage.

I am sorry if I grouped you in with a particular bunch who are prone to posting such nonsense.
I agree that I was being very snarky and it isn't helpful, especially to someone who simply wants more information.
So please accept my apology.
This is a topic very near to my heart. I lived in Putin's Russia. Keeping it short and sweet, I saw some shit and I left some people behind who are extremely scared.

Yes, the deaths at Odessa and Mariupol have been covered by the mainstream media.
But the reports are conflicting which is to be expected in this situation.
Pro-Russians take over government buildings thanks to a lack of security and/or will on the part of Ukrainian authorities.
Eventually locals regroup, sympathizers and security forces show up from afar to join them, and they attempt to take back the buildings, resulting in local civil wars, basically.
Now, when certain people claim that these stories were not covered in the MSM, what they usually mean is that their particular version or interpretation of these stories was not covered.

In other words, the story that neo-nazis massacred civilians in Mariupol on May 9 (Victory Day) was covered like this:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/10/world/europe/ukraine-forces-destroy-police-building-in-restive-east.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ukraine/10820393/Ukraine-crisis-violent-clashes-in-Mariupol-leaves-over-20-dead.html

There is much debate over what happened at Odessa, but it is certain that there was total chaos, a lot of fast spreading rumors among the crowd around the trade union building, gun shots and molotov cocktails coming from unknown directions (unknown to many of the people surrounding the building). The entire blame for that tragedy, imo, comes from the lack of security.
This was not some grand, organized action engineered by Barack Obama, as these articles claim.
It was the behavior of an angry mob that got out of control.

BTW- The US condemned the burning of the trade building in Odessa.
http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2014/05/225566.htm

Reply to this post

Response to EmilyAnne (Reply #16)

Wed May 21, 2014, 08:59 AM

19. "Lack of security"?

There are videos of pro-Kiev thugs firing up at the building, others of one gruesomely finishing off one of the building's occupants with a stick, and the security that was present just stood by and let it happen.

The fact that you lived in Russia doesn't give you anymore credibility than anyone else, EmilyAnne. If a Republican from this country went to live in a foreign country, I'm sure they'd have nothing nice to say about Obama's government either.

Reply to this post

Response to nyabingi (Reply #19)

Wed May 21, 2014, 09:13 AM

20. "Pro-Kiev thugs?" You prove my point. This was an uncontrolled mob.

This was an unsecured public building that was being fought for.
I have no idea what sort of point you are trying to make.

And as for your comment about a Republican living in a foreign country talking about Obama, are you, through your own analogy, admitting that you have a problem with someone talking shit about Putin's government?
Are you really admitting to being a Putin supporter?
Because, if so, I feel like we've really made some progress.
You want to cast your lot in with the far right in Russia? Go ahead.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/21/world/europe/europes-far-right-looks-to-russia-as-a-guiding-force.html?hp

Reply to this post

Response to EmilyAnne (Reply #20)

Wed May 21, 2014, 10:07 AM

22. Yes, that NYT article makes an important and very relevant point.

It's the far right , in US and Europe, that likes Putin.
. . and for a reason: there is nothing "Left" or "True Left" about Putin's administration or his recent policies, only True Autocracy: an ever more arrogant, fear-based, bigoted, and essentially right-wing autocracy.
The pro-Putin comments on this supposedly progressive/liberal blog are downright bizarre. Honestly, I'm flabbergasted that anyone other than the far right (as well as Russian citizens who long for restoration of their old empire and/or do not have the full information about the full sweep of their government's recent actions) could possibly find merit in Putin's bigotry, constraints on freedom of the press, and general thuggery.

I can see why your Russian friends are scared right now. It's a scary situation.

Reply to this post

Response to MBS (Reply #22)

Wed May 21, 2014, 11:14 AM

24. There's nothing "bizarre" going on...

...but the fact that many on the "supposedly progressive/liberal" left are all too eager to support right-wing US militarism and interventionism (which is my beef with the US and EU as far as the situation in Ukraine).

Now if we just want to talk about Putin the person, his character, prejudices and chauvinism, I'd be more than willing to engage in that conversation as well and you'd find we'd most likely be in agreement on many things. I personally haven't seen anyone here go out of their way to defend Putin's personal characteristics. As far as Ukraine though, it the US media which has gone out of its way to blame this whole crisis on Putin and seek to hide US involvement in what happened in Kiev - too many "supposedly progressive/liberal" folk have proven to be all too willing to jump in line behind some jingoistic, nationalistic pro-American, "we don't do anything wrong" propaganda being produced by the NYT and cable new media. Sad.

Reply to this post

Response to EmilyAnne (Reply #20)

Wed May 21, 2014, 10:10 AM

23. From reports I've seen about the Odessa incident...

...it appears the pro-Kiev thugs (yes, I said that and meant it) were sent in to run off the anti-Kiev protesters from the encampment they had set up, the anti-Kiev people retreated inside the building and the pro-Kiev thugs proceeded to lay siege. There's no other point to make other than that because it seems the most rational scenario.

I don't care what you say about Putin or his government. I don't really have much interest in internal Russian politics, who Putin is allied with internally and externally, how far right he is, etc. I have no particular affinity for him in the least - feel free to talk shit about Putin until your lungs are depleted of oxygen.

Like I said, the fact that you lived in Russia doesn't give you any more credibility about this situation than anyone else who can read and decide for themselves (which was the purpose of my analogy).

Reply to this post

Response to nyabingi (Reply #23)

Wed May 21, 2014, 03:56 PM

27. I think that's your problem.

The reports you read about the Odessa incident all start at the Trade Union building and not what had happened all day in the lead up to it.

Reply to this post

Tue May 20, 2014, 08:58 PM

13. "Portrait of a Redbaiting Bootlicking Rat" & other golden oldies!

awesomely loony website

Reply to this post

Response to uhnope (Reply #13)

Wed May 21, 2014, 08:53 AM

18. whatever man...

...from reading some of your previous posts I suspect you're probably a big fan of David Horowitz's Frontpage magazine.

Reply to this post

Response to nyabingi (Reply #18)

Wed May 21, 2014, 03:46 PM

26. wow, like what, man?

That's a pretty serious charge, since I oppose the RW. What are you referring to, exactly?

If you mean I'm anti-dictatorship in any form, well guilty as charged.

And you are pro-dictatorship in some forms, right?

Reply to this post

Response to uhnope (Reply #26)

Mon May 26, 2014, 08:24 PM

28. I've just gotten that sort of vibe

from what I've read of yours. I may be wrong though.

Reply to this post

Response to uhnope (Reply #13)

Reply to this thread