HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Pussy Riot Member Release...

Mon Dec 23, 2013, 03:06 AM

Pussy Riot Member Released From Prison

Source: Associated Press

Dec 23, 1:45 AM EST

PUSSY RIOT MEMBER RELEASED FROM PRISON

BY NATALIYA VASILYEVA
ASSOCIATED PRESS

MOSCOW (AP) -- A jailed member of the Russian punk band Pussy Riot, who was found guilty of hooliganism after a performance critical of President Vladimir Putin, has been released from prison, her lawyer said Monday.

Maria Alekhina, Nadezhda Tolokonnikova and Yekaterina Samutsevich were found guilty of hooliganism motivated by religious hatred and sentenced to two years in prison for the performance at Moscow's main cathedral in March 2012. Samutsevich was released several months later on suspended sentence.

The band insisted that their protest was meant to raise their concern about increasingly close ties between the state and the church.

Alekhina's lawyer, Irina Khrunova, told The Associated Press that Alekhina was released from the prison colony outside the Volga river city of Nizhny Novgorod on Monday morning. Khrunova said that upon release Alekhina went into town to meet with human rights activists.

Read more: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_RUSSIA_PUSSY_RIOT

60 replies, 4379 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 60 replies Author Time Post
Reply Pussy Riot Member Released From Prison (Original post)
Hissyspit Dec 2013 OP
Phlem Dec 2013 #1
dipsydoodle Dec 2013 #5
reACTIONary Dec 2013 #10
joshcryer Dec 2013 #6
Phlem Dec 2013 #21
dipsydoodle Dec 2013 #2
joshcryer Dec 2013 #7
dipsydoodle Dec 2013 #8
joshcryer Dec 2013 #9
Brickbat Dec 2013 #19
dipsydoodle Dec 2013 #20
Hissyspit Dec 2013 #3
Hissyspit Dec 2013 #4
Beacool Dec 2013 #11
JohninPA Dec 2013 #12
levp Dec 2013 #13
JohninPA Dec 2013 #14
levp Dec 2013 #18
JohninPA Dec 2013 #24
levp Dec 2013 #29
jamzrockz Dec 2013 #37
levp Dec 2013 #41
hrmjustin Dec 2013 #49
U4ikLefty Dec 2013 #22
JohninPA Dec 2013 #23
levp Dec 2013 #30
JohninPA Dec 2013 #48
Bradical79 Dec 2013 #43
JohninPA Dec 2013 #46
tabasco Dec 2013 #60
Hissyspit Dec 2013 #16
JohninPA Dec 2013 #25
jamzrockz Dec 2013 #38
levp Dec 2013 #42
Hissyspit Dec 2013 #44
hrmjustin Dec 2013 #50
Brigid Dec 2013 #15
levp Dec 2013 #17
Niceguy1 Dec 2013 #26
levp Dec 2013 #27
Niceguy1 Dec 2013 #28
levp Dec 2013 #31
Niceguy1 Dec 2013 #32
levp Dec 2013 #34
Niceguy1 Dec 2013 #36
Bradical79 Dec 2013 #39
Hissyspit Dec 2013 #45
Ash_F Dec 2013 #33
levp Dec 2013 #35
Bradical79 Dec 2013 #40
JohninPA Dec 2013 #47
levp Dec 2013 #52
hrmjustin Dec 2013 #51
Ash_F Dec 2013 #54
bananas Dec 2013 #55
hrmjustin Dec 2013 #57
bananas Dec 2013 #58
hrmjustin Dec 2013 #59
hrmjustin Dec 2013 #56
chungking34 Dec 2013 #53

Response to Hissyspit (Original post)

Mon Dec 23, 2013, 04:16 AM

1. "hooliganism"?

WTF, next is fuglyanism. And does it stop there? Nope poorism, assholeism, There's no sauerkraut on my bratwurstanism.

what a bunch of bullshitanism.

-p

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Phlem (Reply #1)

Mon Dec 23, 2013, 07:26 AM

5. Clarified here

Modern usage

Later, as the meaning of the word shifted slightly, none of the possible alternatives had precisely the same undertones of a person, usually young, who belongs to an informal group and commits acts of vandalism or criminal damage, starts fights, and who causes disturbances but is not a thief.[6]

More recently, the term hooligan has started to be used to describe people who are dissatisfied with the status quo and decide to challenge it through highly disruptive and positive innovative efforts, usually in collaboration with like-minded individuals.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooliganism

Another example here : Kremlin Website Hacker Sentenced for Hooliganism : http://en.ria.ru/russia/20131223/185850019/Kremlin-Website-Hacker-Sentenced-for-Hooliganism.html

WTF, next is fuglyanism. And does it stop there? Nope poorism, assholeism, There's no sauerkraut on my bratwurstanism ?
In this particular case that's Russia's affair - no one else's. It may be they use the word for a group offenses and hooliganism is the closest word in English. In the UK for example the hacker case above would be totally different charge - theft I think.

In most respects Pussy Riot are no different from Femen - they both have outside organisers who stay in the background.

Reply to this post

Response to dipsydoodle (Reply #5)

Mon Dec 23, 2013, 11:34 AM

10. Had the opportunity to ask a young Russian...

...about Pussy Riot right after their trial and conviction. He immediately called them "Hooligans" - "They are, of course Hooligans, but..."

I told him that in America the word "Hooligan" is pronounced "Activist".

Reply to this post

Response to Phlem (Reply #1)

Mon Dec 23, 2013, 07:39 AM

6. Oh, believe it, they have that here.

It's intended to separate away speech rights from "vandalistic" or "insulting" rights.

Reply to this post

Response to joshcryer (Reply #6)

Mon Dec 23, 2013, 04:23 PM

21. bullshitanism = the actions elected officials take once in office.

-p

-p

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 23, 2013, 06:36 AM

2. Freed Pussy Riot member dismisses Putin's amnesty as 'PR stunt'

(Reuters) - Pussy Riot punk band member Maria Alyokhina walked free from jail on Monday, immediately dismissing the Kremlin's amnesty that granted her early release as a stunt that would not change her attitude to President Vladimir Putin.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/12/23/uk-russia-pussyriot-release-idUKBRE9BM02B20131223

Reply to this post

Response to dipsydoodle (Reply #2)

Mon Dec 23, 2013, 07:39 AM

7. She would be correct.

Same with the Greenpeace protesters.

Reply to this post

Response to joshcryer (Reply #7)

Mon Dec 23, 2013, 07:50 AM

8. Although it would be difficult to search

my impression is that this is the first time anyone hasever been released early under an amnesty where the charge had been hooliganism.

Since you mention Greenpeace - their group had been warned in advance before they set that their arrest would be them most likely outcome in which case Greenpeace were actively seeking high profile publicity . Given the prediction came to fruition their volunteers may not be quite so enthusiastic next time. Its an instance where the foot soldiers pay the price - not the generals.

In case I don't catch you again in time - Happy Holidays !

Reply to this post

Response to dipsydoodle (Reply #8)

Mon Dec 23, 2013, 08:23 AM

9. For every foot soldier arrested a dozen take their place.

So I'm not sure that's a win for such authoritarian practices.

Happy Holidays!

Reply to this post

Response to dipsydoodle (Reply #8)

Mon Dec 23, 2013, 02:34 PM

19. There have been amnesties for those charged with hooliganism.

Reply to this post

Response to Brickbat (Reply #19)

Mon Dec 23, 2013, 02:51 PM

20. Because the amnesty to celibrate the 20th anniversary of their constitution

specifically included hooliganism on this occasion, when it had no other real cause to do so, I took it this has not happened in the past.

Presumably you have a link to a past event.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 23, 2013, 06:42 AM

3. @BreakingNews: 2nd Pussy Riot band member Nadezhda Tolokonnikova has been released from prison in Ru

@BreakingNews: 2nd Pussy Riot band member Nadezhda Tolokonnikova has been released from prison in Russia - @NBCNews

m.twitter.com/BreakingNews

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 23, 2013, 06:43 AM

4. @AP: BREAKING: 3rd member of Pussy Riot punk band released from Russian custody following amnesty m

@AP: BREAKING: 3rd member of Pussy Riot punk band released from Russian custody following amnesty

m.twitter.com/AP

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 23, 2013, 11:49 AM

11. Wonderful news!!!

They should have never been jailed in the first place, but at least she can now spend the holidays with her family.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 23, 2013, 12:00 PM

12. Did they apologize?

To the Russian Orthodox Church for desecrating their temple? It may not be apparent to someone outside the faith, but what they did was extremely offensive and sacrilegious. I'm not sure if 2 years in Siberia was an appropriate punishment, but it was a serious offense.

As an Orthodox Christian, I honestly can not come up with something on a secular level which comes close to the offense this caused. The painting of swastikas on the graves of WWII soldiers in France that happened a few years ago is the closest thing I can think of.

I know certain people who hate religion and religious people here will mock this, but I wanted to try to explain how this affected the religious community they attacked.

Reply to this post

Response to JohninPA (Reply #12)

Mon Dec 23, 2013, 12:32 PM

13. Did Pussy Riot...

...paint swastikas in that temple?
(Hint: no.)

Define "false equivalency".

Reply to this post

Response to levp (Reply #13)

Mon Dec 23, 2013, 12:53 PM

14. You are correct

Regarding false equivalency. This was worse than painting a Swastika on a tombstone. I don't expect someone outside the faith to understand or agree, I only wanted to present the view of a person of the Orthodox faith. I saw the video and was sick to my stomache.

Reply to this post

Response to JohninPA (Reply #14)

Mon Dec 23, 2013, 01:32 PM

18. I wish

this was The Onion-style sarcasm...

The least I can do is to make another donation to the Secular Coalition for America and be glad I don't live nowhere near Russian Federation anymore.

Reply to this post

Response to levp (Reply #18)

Mon Dec 23, 2013, 09:42 PM

24. Secular Coalition

So what would be an appropriate punishment for trespassing and desecrating an Orthodox holy site in your mind? Or is it all ok because you hate religion.

Reply to this post

Response to JohninPA (Reply #24)

Tue Dec 24, 2013, 02:56 AM

29. How this is done in countries with more or less decent justice system

Having sex in church would much worse then singing, no?

New York: Manhattan: Charges Involving Sex At Cathedral
A man and a woman having sex in a side entrance to St. Patrick's Cathedral yesterday afternoon were arrested and charged with public lewdness, and a third person was arrested as he was recording them, the police said.

N.Y. PEN. LAW 245.00 : NY Code - Section 245.00: Public lewdness
Public lewdness is a class B misdemeanor.

N.Y. PEN. LAW 70.15 : NY Code - Section 70.15: Sentences of imprisonment for misdemeanors and violation
Class B misdemeanor. A sentence of imprisonment for a class B misdemeanor shall be a definite sentence. When such a sentence is imposed the term shall be fixed by the court, and shall not exceed three months.

Reply to this post

Response to levp (Reply #29)

Tue Dec 24, 2013, 07:38 PM

37. And in most states in the US

You can shot someone for trespassing on your property. In Russia, they get a 2 yr sentence. I say they should thank their lucky stars and go home.

Reply to this post

Response to jamzrockz (Reply #37)

Tue Dec 24, 2013, 08:24 PM

41. I don't know about most states,

but in New York:

N.Y. PEN. LAW 140.05 : NY Code - Section 140.05: Trespass
A person is guilty of trespass when he knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in or upon premises. Trespass is a violation.

Note that 140.10 does not apply because the church was open to visitors, thus not "fenced or otherwise enclosed in a manner designed to exclude intruders" and was not "utilized as an elementary or secondary school or a children's overnight camp".
Note that 140.15 does not apply because church is not a dwelling, but a public space (open to visitors).
Note that 140.17 does not apply because Pussy Riot members possessed no explosive, deadly weapon, firearm, rifle or shotgun. Unless you count their art as a weapon, of course.

N.Y. PEN. LAW 70.15 : NY Code - Section 70.15: Sentences of imprisonment for misdemeanors and violation
4. Violation. A sentence of imprisonment for a violation shall be a definite sentence. When such a sentence is imposed the term shall be fixed by the court, and shall not exceed fifteen days. In the case of a violation defined outside this chapter, if the sentence is expressly specified in the law or ordinance that defines the offense and consists solely of a fine, no term of imprisonment shall be imposed.

That's the whole point: governments everywhere apply their justice systems variably to suit their political needs. Unfortunately, it happens in New York as well, let alone other states.

However, we should not measure our reactions by the least common denominator - otherwise, the next thing one is going to say to rape victims would be: "In Iran, you would be whipped too. I say you should thank your lucky stars and go home."
How about we measure correctional systems by Sweden, Denmark, etc. instead of Russia?

Reply to this post

Response to levp (Reply #18)

Wed Dec 25, 2013, 11:41 PM

49. It is perfectly reasonable to be upset by the stunt they pulled in that church.

Jail however is disgraceful.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 23, 2013, 07:18 PM

22. Your post is disgusting

Reply to this post

Response to U4ikLefty (Reply #22)

Mon Dec 23, 2013, 09:38 PM

23. So is your intolerance

Your intolerance of religion is equally disgusting. These people desecrated one of the most important churches in Russia, but that is just fine with you. When may I come over to your home to insult you and exercise my free speech in your living room? Would it be ok for a meat eater to trespass into PETA's headquarters and roast a pig?

Reply to this post

Response to JohninPA (Reply #23)

Tue Dec 24, 2013, 03:09 AM

30. Comparison with living room and PETA's HQ is faulty...

...because the church was open for public. Therefore, there was no breaking and entering.
Now, indeed, they refused to leave when asked to do so. Thus, should have been sentenced to no more than time served (5 months).

Reply to this post

Response to levp (Reply #30)

Wed Dec 25, 2013, 11:22 PM

48. Still a harsh punishment

I would have been happy with an apology and a promise to not repeat the behavior.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 24, 2013, 08:32 PM

43. That is an idiotic and arogant view

To claim that an orthodox Christian's offense at a song performed on sacred property is worse than the offense taken at the physical desecration of a tombstone with a symbol under which millions were murdered, is pretty damn offensive in itself. Claiming that is how Orthodox Christians would generally feel seems pretty insulting to Orthodox Christians. I have a hard time believing that most Orthodox Christians around the world are that weak minded and ethically twisted. I only have one orthodox friend, but she certainly is not so easily driven to such levels of despair over the insult of a religious symbol/community.

Reply to this post

Response to Bradical79 (Reply #43)

Wed Dec 25, 2013, 10:54 PM

46. So you know my faith better than I do?

I am Russian Orthodox. Most Orthodox I know were absolutely appalled at what they did. What they did went well beyond singing in a church. They went on the altar and stood at the iconostasis mocking the Theotokos.

While someone outside they faith would not understand the significance, it is shocking for most Orthodox. No one without good reason may enter the altar and a woman may never enter. This is an incredibly strong taboo and also against church law. Again, I don't expect non Orthodox to understand, I was only offering illumination on how this act may be perceived in the Orthodox community. As Russians, the band would know exactly how offensive this act is.

Reply to this post

Response to JohninPA (Reply #46)

Thu Dec 26, 2013, 08:08 PM

60. Try learning the difference between right and wrong

and stop babbling about your "faith."

If your "faith" demands jail time for what these girls did, it's a fucked up faith.

You remind me of an al qaeda , demanding sharia justice.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 23, 2013, 01:25 PM

16. Yeah, that's what Jesus wanted, for them to be sent to gulags.

Reply to this post

Response to Hissyspit (Reply #16)

Mon Dec 23, 2013, 09:44 PM

25. Religious Have no Rights in Your Mind?

To be secure in their worship and temples? What punishment would be appropriate. Attitudes like yours are why I have such a hard time convincing people in my parish that Democrats do not hate religion and religious people.

Reply to this post

Response to JohninPA (Reply #25)

Tue Dec 24, 2013, 07:39 PM

38. They would prefer you shut up

or turn the other cheek.

Reply to this post

Response to jamzrockz (Reply #38)

Tue Dec 24, 2013, 08:30 PM

42. Just like Jesus said:

"Whoever slaps you on your right cheek, throw them in a labor camp for two years".
Matthew 5:39

Reply to this post

Response to JohninPA (Reply #25)

Tue Dec 24, 2013, 08:52 PM

44. Is this appropriate for "sacrilege?"

@RawStory: Imprisoned Pussy Riot members underwent daily 'forced gynecological examinations' http://t.co/w0gq2agytw

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 25, 2013, 11:51 PM

50. As a Christian I did not like what they did but sending them to jail was a huge sin in my opinion.

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 23, 2013, 12:55 PM

15. Weren't their sentences almost up anyway?

Or am I wrong about that?

Reply to this post

Response to Brigid (Reply #15)

Mon Dec 23, 2013, 01:26 PM

17. Even

3 month less in Siberian colony is a good thing (I believe the sentence was supposed to be up in March).

Reply to this post

Mon Dec 23, 2013, 11:47 PM

26. considering what they did

I think they got lucky. What they did was totally uncool the wrong

Reply to this post

Response to Niceguy1 (Reply #26)

Tue Dec 24, 2013, 02:42 AM

27. 2 years hard labor

in Siberian prison is lucky.
Aren't you merciful?
What in your definition is unlucky, then?

Reply to this post

Response to levp (Reply #27)

Tue Dec 24, 2013, 02:45 AM

28. for where they're at in Russia

put it in context of the country that they are living in..it's not too long ago they would have been disappeared forever for that..what they did was wrong. I agree protesting against putin is a good idea but you don't descrate a church in order to do that

Reply to this post

Response to Niceguy1 (Reply #28)

Tue Dec 24, 2013, 03:10 AM

31. Desecrate?

They danced and sang. No damage whatsoever of any kind.

Reply to this post

Response to levp (Reply #31)

Tue Dec 24, 2013, 03:13 AM

32. you don't have to do physical damage to desecrate

even in our society over here there's no defense of it.

Reply to this post

Response to Niceguy1 (Reply #32)

Tue Dec 24, 2013, 03:11 PM

34. Over here?

(citation needed)

"Disorderly conduct" charge I would understand. Usually fine and/or community service. Imagine instead 2 years of maximum security prison!

Reply to this post

Response to levp (Reply #34)

Tue Dec 24, 2013, 03:50 PM

36. in context they are in Russia

Not yoo long ago they would have been dissappeared ...permanently....so yes, they were lucky. .

Reply to this post

Response to Niceguy1 (Reply #36)

Tue Dec 24, 2013, 08:02 PM

39. Better than murder is not a reasonable arguement

Yes, 2 year sentence is better than being murdered. Lots of horrible inhuman punishments are better than outright murder. Doesn't mean they're right.

Reply to this post

Response to Niceguy1 (Reply #26)

Tue Dec 24, 2013, 08:59 PM

45. "Got off lucky..."

@RawStory: Imprisoned Pussy Riot members underwent daily 'forced gynecological examinations' http://t.co/w0gq2agytw

Bull. Shit.

Yuck, just yuck.

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 24, 2013, 07:27 AM

33. Where are these posters even coming from? /nt

Reply to this post

Response to Ash_F (Reply #33)

Tue Dec 24, 2013, 03:12 PM

35. Religious fanatics

are similar everywhere...

Reply to this post

Tue Dec 24, 2013, 08:16 PM

40. I don't know, but they are undeserving of "tolerance"

Yes, I am very intolerant of their religious views, so they can accuse me of being intolerant all they want. If they want to come to a Democratic message board and argue 2 years is justifiable punishment for offending someone's religion, then they can fuck off and hang out on the free republic. Their religious views are not worthy of respect since their views are based off of hatred and intolerance at a fundamental level. It's like reverse racism charges from racists. Yes, I do believe they have a fundamental right to be hateful idiots in their own homes, but I certainly don't have to give them an ounce of respect for the twisted world view of ethically bankrupt religious fanatics. People who think the state should enforce harsh punishment for being insulting to a religion or group are intellectual cowards. They know they can not coherently defend their beliefs from criticism in a rational manner.

Reply to this post

Response to Bradical79 (Reply #40)

Wed Dec 25, 2013, 10:59 PM

47. No one said two years was appropriate

Only what they did was incredibly disrespectful and deserved to be punished. If a pro life group ran into a Planned Parenthood clinic, refused to leave, mocked those there for medical services, and filmed a pro life video should they also not be punished?

Reply to this post

Response to JohninPA (Reply #47)

Thu Dec 26, 2013, 12:04 AM

52. I wish

that that "pro-life" groups would limit themselves to singing and dancing only on the Planned Parenthood premises.
Instead, we get murders, attempted murder, assault, kidnapping, arson, and bombing:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-abortion_violence

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 25, 2013, 11:53 PM

51. What posters?

Reply to this post

Response to hrmjustin (Reply #51)

Thu Dec 26, 2013, 03:50 AM

54. Shouldn't it be obvious to any sane human being?

Last edited Thu Dec 26, 2013, 07:44 PM - Edit history (1)

The psychotic ones who think it is ok to throw someone in prison for years over a song. That's what posters.

Reply to this post

Response to Ash_F (Reply #54)

Thu Dec 26, 2013, 04:13 AM

55. What's it called when someone creates several sockpuppets and has them argue with each other?

There's a term for it, I just can't recall right now...

Reply to this post

Response to bananas (Reply #55)

Thu Dec 26, 2013, 12:28 PM

57. I hope you do not think I am doing that.

Reply to this post

Response to hrmjustin (Reply #57)

Thu Dec 26, 2013, 01:22 PM

58. No, not you.

When Ash asked "Where are these posters even coming from?", I presumed he meant people who don't usually post here.

Reply to this post

Response to bananas (Reply #58)

Thu Dec 26, 2013, 01:23 PM

59. Thanks.

Reply to this post

Response to Ash_F (Reply #54)

Thu Dec 26, 2013, 12:27 PM

56. oh them, I agree. Sorry I had drink in me the past few da5s and my brain cells were off.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 26, 2013, 12:30 AM

53. Just more window dressing from the Putin regime

In any case, it's good that the Pussy Riot member got out. It's ridiculous that the girls were locked up in the first place.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread