HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » 'We're in the Abyss': My ...

Thu Jun 13, 2013, 03:30 PM

'We're in the Abyss': My KPFK 'BradCast' Interview with Daniel Ellsberg on Edward Snowden

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by REP (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: BRAD BLOG, KPFK

'We're in the Abyss': My KPFK 'BradCast' Interview with Daniel Ellsberg on Edward Snowden
EXCLUSIVE: Legendary 'Pentagon Papers' whistleblower offers frank comment on the NSA whistleblower; the dangers of our privatized surveillance state; the failure of Congressional oversight; and journalists 'discrediting their professions'...

In his column over the weekend, lauding the "conscience and patriotism" of NSA contractor-turned-whistleblower Edward Snowden, legendary "Pentagon Papers" whistleblower Daniel Ellsberg cited a 1975 warning about the NSA from Sen. Frank Church (D-ID), chairman of the U.S. Senate Select Committee tasked with investigating unlawful intelligence gathering by the NSA, CIA and FBI following the Watergate scandal.

"I know the capacity that is there to make tyranny total in America," Church said, "and we must see to it that this agency and all agencies that possess this technology operate within the law and under proper supervision, so that we never cross over that abyss. That is the abyss from which there is no return."

On Wednesday, during a fascinating interview on The BradCast on KPFK/Pacifica Radio, Ellsberg said directly, in the wake of Snowden's disclosures: "We're in the abyss. What he feared has come to pass".

Ellsberg went on to share very frank thoughts on Edward Snowden, his disclosures, the privatized surveillance state, failure of Congressional oversight and he calls out several reporters, by name, for 'discrediting their professions' and for being 'stupid and misguided'...

LISTEN, FULL STORY: http://www.bradblog.com/?p=10067

Read more: http://www.bradblog.com/?p=10067

7 replies, 2129 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply 'We're in the Abyss': My KPFK 'BradCast' Interview with Daniel Ellsberg on Edward Snowden (Original post)
BradBlog Jun 2013 OP
Dustlawyer Jun 2013 #1
avaistheone1 Jun 2013 #2
DallasNE Jun 2013 #3
Cooley Hurd Jun 2013 #4
Sognefjord Jun 2013 #5
questionseverything Jun 2013 #6
REP Jun 2013 #7

Response to BradBlog (Original post)

Thu Jun 13, 2013, 03:45 PM

1. The government, on behalf of the corporations and the 1%, wants to know what "We the People" are

thinking so they do not get surprised by another OWS! According to a leading Democrat who has been briefed by the NSA, the leak covered only the tip of the iceberg. It is safe to assume that they have everything on everyone!

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Jun 13, 2013, 04:07 PM

2. Is this on podcast?

Thu Jun 13, 2013, 04:35 PM

3. Ellsberg Exaggerates

When he claims that everything Nixon did against him that was illegal is now legal under the Patriot Act. Not even close. Burglary is still a crime. There are still doctor-patient protections. I'm actually pressed to think of a single thing Nixon did regarding Ellberg that would be legal today.

But he is spot on in complaining about the so far non-existent Congressional oversight. Congress has twice passed extensions to the Patriot Act. In fact, this has been one of my earliest complaints about this leak. The time for the leak would have been about last October so it could have been part of both the Presidential election and the debate on the extension of the Patriot Act. As we now know, rubberstamping this act last December was likely not the level of oversight our Founding Fathers endorsed. So now we need to pick up the pieces.

Thu Jun 13, 2013, 04:41 PM

4. Get ready, Brad...

The Democratic Pep Club will be here to throw you under the bus with Greenwald, Rep Grayson, et. al.

Response to Cooley Hurd (Reply #4)

Thu Jun 13, 2013, 04:47 PM

5. That's their job. It must be some kind of entry-level position to Major League Butt-kissing.

Response to Sognefjord (Reply #5)

Thu Jun 13, 2013, 04:59 PM

6. brad has been targeted before

http://www.bradblog.com/?p=8354

- revelations about the planned multi-million dollar political hit job by the security/intelligence firms working to develop a scheme for the U.S. Chamber (and another one, almost identical to it, on behalf of Bank of America) were just beginning to come to light. Both plots were being developed by the Chamber and BofA by the very same law firm, Hunton & Williams and with the cyber intelligence firms HBGary Federal, Berico Technologies & Palantir Technologies.

As the show began, I was able to report the news, based on an exclusive report from Lee Fang at ThinkProgress, that internal emails from one of the firms, confirmed that VelvetRevolution.us (VR), a progressive non-partisan, non-profit organization co-founded by The BRAD BLOG, and its StopTheChamber.com campaign were specifically highlighted as targets of the Chamber's plot which was proposed to include the planting of a "false document", in hopes they'd be publicly released by VR or other progressive groups, so the U.S. Chamber could then claim the groups involved had created a forgery.

The plan also involved creating "two fake insider personas", one at VR and another at the unrelated Change To Win organization, which had employed a coalition of union groups to create a non-profit campaign, some months after VR's, called U.S. Chamber Watch. The plan presented by Team Themis, as the three security firms called themselves, would then use one of the "fake personas" as "leverage to discredit the other while confirming the legitimacy of the second" in hopes of publicizing the fraudulent appearance of some sort of "conspiracy" between the various progressive organizations in order to somehow discredit them.

Thu Jun 13, 2013, 05:19 PM

7. Locking

This does not fit the SoP of this Forum.