Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Create a free account Support DU (and get rid of ads!): Become a Star Member Latest Breaking News Editorials & Other Articles General Discussion The DU Lounge All Forums Issue Forums Culture Forums Alliance Forums Region Forums Support Forums Help & Search

mcar

(42,933 posts)
Mon Jun 10, 2024, 01:03 PM Jun 10

Justice Alito Caught on Tape Discussing How Battle for America 'Can't Be Compromised'

Source: Rolling Stone

Justice Samuel Alito spoke candidly about the ideological battle between the left and the right — discussing the difficulty of living “peacefully” with ideological opponents in the face of “fundamental” differences that “can’t be compromised.” He endorsed what his interlocutor described as a necessary fight to “return our country to a place of godliness.” And Alito offered a blunt assessment of how America’s polarization will ultimately be resolved: “One side or the other is going to win.”

Alito made these remarks in conversation at the Supreme Court Historical Society’s annual dinner on June 3, a function that is known to right-wing activists as an opportunity to buttonhole Supreme Court justices. His comments were recorded by Lauren Windsor, a liberal documentary filmmaker. Windsor attended the dinner as a dues-paying member of the society under her real name, along with a colleague. She asked questions of the justice as though she were a religious conservative.

The justice’s unguarded comments highlight the degree to which Alito makes little effort to present himself as a neutral umpire calling judicial balls and strikes, but rather as a partisan member of a hard-right judicial faction that’s empowered to make life-altering decisions for every American.

The recording, which was provided exclusively to Rolling Stone, captures Windsor approaching Alito at the event and reminding him that they spoke at the same function the year before, when she asked him a question about political polarization. In the intervening year, she tells the justice, her views on the matter had changed. “I don’t know that we can negotiate with the left in the way that needs to happen for the polarization to end,” Windsor says. “I think that it’s a matter of, like, winning.”

Read more: https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/samuel-alito-supreme-court-justice-recording-tape-battle-1235036470/

37 replies = new reply since forum marked as read
Highlight: NoneDon't highlight anything 5 newestHighlight 5 most recent replies
Justice Alito Caught on Tape Discussing How Battle for America 'Can't Be Compromised' (Original Post) mcar Jun 10 OP
Definitely not jaw-dropping at all BumRushDaShow Jun 10 #1
To me, it's the drip, drip, drip that's jaw dropping mcar Jun 10 #4
Yeah I suppose it's a miracle that a spotlight continues to get whipped around to focus on him BumRushDaShow Jun 10 #7
You know that's true. mcar Jun 10 #8
I totally agree with you about the leak of the decision wryter2000 Jun 10 #13
The Constitution has already 'split the difference'. Captain Zero Jun 10 #2
As my old Poli Sci professor put it, lastlib Jun 10 #22
Which version of Christianity will they force us to comply with? Probatim Jun 10 #28
The Constitution is based on substance, a contract spelled out in black and white, Uncle Joe Jun 10 #23
What Alito said should disqualify him from every issue. gab13by13 Jun 10 #3
It should mcar Jun 10 #6
He absolutely knows no one can stop him Novara Jun 10 #36
Every day he becomes a bigger piece of sh6t............nt wolfie001 Jun 10 #5
And we have no recourse, realistically speaking. Happy Hoosier Jun 10 #9
Our recourse is to have a majority in both Houses and regulate his ass. Hermit-The-Prog Jun 10 #14
That would be great. Happy Hoosier Jun 10 #16
Remember the Senate majority they said we couldn't get and the red wave that didn't happen. Hermit-The-Prog Jun 10 #17
I hope you're right. Happy Hoosier Jun 10 #18
He doesn't even see the hypocrisy of his statements. Think. Again. Jun 10 #10
Please tell me your cousin told you this wryter2000 Jun 10 #11
As an Episcopalian, let me say wryter2000 Jun 10 #12
That reference to "godliness" means he wants a theocracy. SunSeeker Jun 10 #15
Episcopalians are not in favor of that, either n/t wryter2000 Jun 10 #19
I've never met an Episcopalian I didn't like. SunSeeker Jun 10 #21
Thanks wryter2000 Jun 10 #25
hear . hear. me too also. AllaN01Bear Jun 10 #26
Howdy, friend wryter2000 Jun 10 #29
"discussing the difficulty of living "peacefully" with ideological opponents" hadEnuf Jun 10 #20
I wonder slightlv Jun 10 #24
key words . greedy millianres . AllaN01Bear Jun 10 #27
Ok Alito,you want religion in America? Which religion do you want? Keep going asshole and bluestarone Jun 10 #30
Very troubling Joinfortmill Jun 10 #31
He makes me want to walk up to him and say Emile Jun 10 #32
As a Christian myself, this is simply abhorrent. hamsterjill Jun 10 #33
This story is nowhere on CNN momta Jun 10 #34
So he admitted he won't be impartial. IMPEACH HIM. Novara Jun 10 #35
What The Absolute F...? GB_RN Jun 10 #37

BumRushDaShow

(133,813 posts)
1. Definitely not jaw-dropping at all
Mon Jun 10, 2024, 01:09 PM
Jun 10

He has always been a partisan hack and I still think he was the one who leaked his own Dobb's opinion. He doesn't care anymore.

mcar

(42,933 posts)
4. To me, it's the drip, drip, drip that's jaw dropping
Mon Jun 10, 2024, 01:19 PM
Jun 10

I, too, think he leaked Dobbs. Arrogant ass wipe.

BumRushDaShow

(133,813 posts)
7. Yeah I suppose it's a miracle that a spotlight continues to get whipped around to focus on him
Mon Jun 10, 2024, 01:34 PM
Jun 10

I'm sure, like Thomas, he has layers of rot that has yet to been uncovered.

wryter2000

(46,701 posts)
13. I totally agree with you about the leak of the decision
Mon Jun 10, 2024, 01:52 PM
Jun 10

He got the rest of them in line by doing it. Bastard.

Captain Zero

(7,152 posts)
2. The Constitution has already 'split the difference'.
Mon Jun 10, 2024, 01:14 PM
Jun 10

We don't want anyone in government telling us who and how to worship.
Someone should tell Alito that's in the constitution.

lastlib

(23,723 posts)
22. As my old Poli Sci professor put it,
Mon Jun 10, 2024, 02:40 PM
Jun 10

they can't tell us how to pray, when to pray, what to say when we pray, or whom we pray to.

I, for one, will NOT get down on my knees in the church of THEIR choice. (Hell, I won't even get down on my knees for a church of MY choice....but that's another matter.....)

Probatim

(2,709 posts)
28. Which version of Christianity will they force us to comply with?
Mon Jun 10, 2024, 03:21 PM
Jun 10

I've had arguments with the in-laws about which "sect" of Presbyterianism they belong to. Just the word sect sets them off.

What happens when the Southern Baptists are forced to worship under Lutheran guidance?

It's all just a ploy to ensure compliance until they finalize their fascist plans.

Uncle Joe

(59,183 posts)
23. The Constitution is based on substance, a contract spelled out in black and white,
Mon Jun 10, 2024, 02:44 PM
Jun 10

while fascism is based on symbolism.

Symbols are easy to manipulate as they are faith based and can mean different things to different people.

The saying "When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross" is often attributed to the American author and social commentator Sinclair Lewis, although there is some debate about its exact origins. The quote is a warning about the potential for authoritarian or fascist ideologies to take hold in the United States under the guise of patriotism and religious values.

The phrase suggests that if fascism were to rise in America, it would likely do so by cloaking itself in symbols of nationalism (the flag) and religion (the cross). By invoking these symbols, the quote implies that those promoting fascist ideas might use appeals to patriotism and faith to gain support and legitimacy for their agenda, even if their actual intentions are at odds with democratic principles and human rights.

Overall, the saying serves as a cautionary reminder to remain vigilant against the manipulation of symbols and rhetoric in the service of oppressive or antidemocratic ideologies. It underscores the importance of critically examining the actions and motives of political movements, even when they present themselves in familiar or seemingly benign forms.

https://www.quora.com/What-does-the-saying-When-fascism-comes-to-America-it-will-be-wrapped-in-the-flag-and-carrying-a-cross-mean

Novara

(5,986 posts)
36. He absolutely knows no one can stop him
Mon Jun 10, 2024, 06:40 PM
Jun 10

And he's flipping the finger to the entire country, the Constitution, and his oath.

Happy Hoosier

(7,664 posts)
9. And we have no recourse, realistically speaking.
Mon Jun 10, 2024, 01:41 PM
Jun 10

Alito can, as he has done, come out and openly state that he intends to impose his religious viewpoint, despite what the Constitution says. And so long as the GQP supports that, we can't do anything about it, except hope for an early ride to the cemetary for that fuckstick.

Happy Hoosier

(7,664 posts)
18. I hope you're right.
Mon Jun 10, 2024, 02:07 PM
Jun 10

I just see a lot of pretty successful efforts the weaken and divide us. They are working. We see them on this very board.

Think. Again.

(12,035 posts)
10. He doesn't even see the hypocrisy of his statements.
Mon Jun 10, 2024, 01:47 PM
Jun 10

Perhaps we need some guidelines put in place about eligibility to be on the supreme court.

wryter2000

(46,701 posts)
12. As an Episcopalian, let me say
Mon Jun 10, 2024, 01:51 PM
Jun 10

His definition of godliness is nowhere near mine. In fact, I don't think God is in favor of human arrogance.

hadEnuf

(2,429 posts)
20. "discussing the difficulty of living "peacefully" with ideological opponents"
Mon Jun 10, 2024, 02:21 PM
Jun 10

"in the face of “fundamental” differences that “can’t be compromised.”

Well there it is. A dog whistle call to "soften" the use of violence, from a sitting Supreme Court justice.

It's pretty clear what the MAGATs next move will include.

This piece of shit should not be on the SCOTUS. He should be under arrest.

slightlv

(3,399 posts)
24. I wonder
Mon Jun 10, 2024, 02:45 PM
Jun 10

if this theocracy is going to take the form of NAR or of Opus Dei. I know for now they're in this together... "war" make strange bedfellows, after all. Does Alito plan to make all of us wear hairshirts and fasten cilices around our thighs... tightening them at strategic "prayer" times (re: corporal mortification) at certain points in the day? These people are really out there on the "weird" scale. We talk about him wanting to turn this country into Gilead by stripping away Reproductive Rights and other rights women have currently. But they have much larger plans. A theocracy gives them a hell of a lot of power. Of course, it nullifies the number one commandment of conversion in the Bible... that one must have a conversion experience in order to baptized and accepted into the church. This conversion experience must be free of coercion and demonstrate an actual change in the person. The NAR throws this requirement to the wind, of course, in order to continue capturing their 7 mountains.

Corrupt politicians... greedy billionaires.. and determined theocrats of all sects... we are in so much trouble, I don't see how just voting is going to get us out of this mess. But one thing's for sure. This is one vote where the old adage of "Voting has Consequences" has never been more true. And when we Democrats sweep all three houses, all the Kumbaya moments have to be put on hold in order to ensure something like this never happens again.

bluestarone

(17,624 posts)
30. Ok Alito,you want religion in America? Which religion do you want? Keep going asshole and
Mon Jun 10, 2024, 03:40 PM
Jun 10

You'll see this country go the way of the MIDDLE EAST!! WAR, WAR, WAR< WAR. How fucking dumb can a person be? We got a beautiful DEMOCRATIC country now, so you want to turn it into a WAR ZONE!! If you succeed, i hope YOU are the first one to find out how it will be!

Emile

(25,577 posts)
32. He makes me want to walk up to him and say
Mon Jun 10, 2024, 04:09 PM
Jun 10

Who in the fuck are you to judge anyone or anything you corrupt son of a bitch

hamsterjill

(15,388 posts)
33. As a Christian myself, this is simply abhorrent.
Mon Jun 10, 2024, 04:39 PM
Jun 10

The basic tenets of Jesus and Christianity - the very core of the whole concept - teaches about love and acceptance. These people have taken that love and acceptance and turned it into hate and division because they fear not being right.

It saddens me. I came to believing late in my life and I didn’t get to that point for a long time because certain other people made me fearful and confined when they expressed their beliefs. I feared if I broke a rule, I’d be a goner. Ultimately, I came to believe that the rules are mostly man made and that I was not expected to be rigid and/or perfect.

My opinion is that no one accepts religion when it is forced. It should be offered as a comforting component of one’s life, and “no thank you” should be the end of any attempt to make someone believe as another believes.

I have no desire to force any one to believe as I do and I am quite happy when someone else has found their own path in life. As long as they respect my choice. We can celebrate our differences and go about our business.

It is totally foreign to me that these crazies insist on making everyone else conform to their ideology. And that they quote scripture frequently to justify their loathing of others.

momta

(4,097 posts)
34. This story is nowhere on CNN
Mon Jun 10, 2024, 05:47 PM
Jun 10

At least not on their front page. And he blames the media for constantly attacking him. The irony is just endless.

GB_RN

(2,635 posts)
37. What The Absolute F...?
Mon Jun 10, 2024, 07:12 PM
Jun 10

“[R]eturn our country to a place of godliness.”

What?!?! Who’s god? Seriously, which one? There are a lot of religions and every one of them says that they are the only real one. Never mind all the sects within a religion! Christianity has over 30,000 different sects. None of which get along with any other very well. If not just verbally hateful, some are downright hostile (Looking at YOU Scammy Alito, you piece of shit).

And…and! Never mind the fact that this country was NOT founded on Christianity and there’s plenty of evidence to support that statement just from the Founder’s writings. And of course, we can add in official government documents like the Treaty of Tripoli, section 11, which states "the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

So their next argument is that our laws are based on biblical principles. Survey says??? (Insert buzzer noise) X! Wrong. US laws are based off of common law, which was…inherited (for lack of a better word) from England.

I am so sick and fucking tired of these Dominionist, fascist fucks making up their own history of the US, deliberately lying to the public in order to hoodwink the uneducated masses. Goebbels and Hitler would be proud. 🤬🙄

So as far as I’m concerned, they can all ingest a bag of Richards, and/or excrement and expire.

Latest Discussions»Latest Breaking News»Justice Alito Caught on T...