HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Railroad workers aren't t...

Thu Dec 1, 2022, 10:37 AM

Railroad workers aren't the only Americans without paid sick days

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Omaha Steve (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: CNN

As freight railroad workers look to Congress to provide them with paid sick days, millions of other American employees have no safety net if they fall ill.

The US does not have a national standard on paid sick leave, a rarity among industrialized nations. Roughly 1 in 5 civilian workers lack paid sick days, but the prevalence of the benefit varies widely by occupation and wage, according to federal data. Public sector workers, management and professional employees and higher-earning staffers are more likely to have access to paid sick days.

However, many others are not as fortunate. Roughly one-third of workers in service, construction, extraction and farming occupations donít have paid sick days. About half of part-time workers lack the benefit, as do more than 40% of those in the lowest quarter of wage earners.

Overall, about 33 million workers have no paid sick days, according to Family Values @ Work Action, an advocacy organization.

Read more: https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/01/success/railroad-workers-sick-days/index.html

Railroads have been cutting their workforce, maximizing profits, thus they have fewer employees to cover when someone is sick.

Not a Workforce but a Work To Death Force.

23 replies, 1536 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 23 replies Author Time Post
Reply Railroad workers aren't the only Americans without paid sick days (Original post)
Kennah Dec 1 OP
Beachnutt Dec 1 #1
LiberalFighter Dec 1 #2
CrispyQ Dec 1 #3
pandr32 Dec 1 #8
yellowdogintexas Dec 1 #4
mopinko Dec 1 #6
Kennah Dec 1 #13
3auld6phart Dec 1 #5
Rebl2 Dec 1 #7
onetexan Dec 1 #9
DENVERPOPS Dec 1 #14
ZenDem Dec 1 #10
Bengus81 Dec 1 #11
DENVERPOPS Dec 1 #16
LT Barclay Dec 1 #17
hildegaard28 Dec 1 #12
David__77 Dec 1 #15
Marthe48 Dec 1 #18
Magoo48 Dec 1 #19
GusBob Dec 1 #20
IBEWVET Dec 1 #21
twodogsbarking Dec 1 #22
Omaha Steve Dec 1 #23

Response to Kennah (Original post)

Thu Dec 1, 2022, 10:44 AM

1. Or Health insurance.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Dec 1, 2022, 10:51 AM

2. Seems Tami Luhby is trying to make an excuse for why railroad workers shouldn't receive it.

Thu Dec 1, 2022, 10:51 AM

3. "The US does not have a national standard on paid sick leave, a rarity among industrialized nations"

I was lucky to always work for a company that offered benefits & sick pay, but my mother worked for small companies & got only one week vacation & never had sick pay.

I once asked a right wing cousin of mine, "What good is a national defense budget if you don't take care of your people?" His response was, "People need to take care of themselves." I asked, "And the corporations? We bail out the bankers, the auto makers, the airline industry. There's always money for mismanaged corporations, but never money for We the People." His response? Crickets.

Response to CrispyQ (Reply #3)

Thu Dec 1, 2022, 11:21 AM

8. This!

Thu Dec 1, 2022, 10:53 AM

4. Where is the union in all this? I thought railroad workers had a fairly good union nt

Response to yellowdogintexas (Reply #4)

Thu Dec 1, 2022, 11:02 AM

6. there r several unions involved, and they're split.

Response to yellowdogintexas (Reply #4)

Thu Dec 1, 2022, 12:31 PM

13. It's a fight they've been waging for years. 8 of 12 Unions approved the TA. But all 12 have to agree

Thu Dec 1, 2022, 10:53 AM

5. Not sure

Ifwehave paid sick leave here in Canada. Been away from the work force for twenty + years.
Maybe Union shops?? But I do know we arenít saddled with over whelming medical costs.which
is a mighty big plus.. any Canucks on Du enlighten us ,if otherwise? All the best to RR and others
Workers out there?

Thu Dec 1, 2022, 11:16 AM

7. I know

when I worked in daycare center in the late seventies we didnít get sick leave and made minimum wage which back then was around $2.65 in 1978. I was in college then and was just happy to have any money. Railroad workers deserve to get paid sick leave, just like congress does. I understand very small business likely canít afford it, but railroad companies, from what I have read, are making a lot of money and could afford to pay the workers sick leave.

Thu Dec 1, 2022, 11:30 AM

9. Our labor laws need to be improved, greatly

Shameful that we r behind many other developed nations when it comes to protecting workers rights.

Response to onetexan (Reply #9)

Thu Dec 1, 2022, 12:43 PM

14. There are a lot of corporations

that intentionally limit any benefits to full time workers (40 hours a week) and intentionally limit many below the Top exec's and workers to 30 hour's a week making them (part time workers) and benefits therefore not given to them. In particular are the grocery store workers/cashiers for example. They are just one example.............

Thu Dec 1, 2022, 11:35 AM

10. I had Covid and had to work from home.

No choice...my department is a mess and no backup.
I was SICK...sickest I've felt in decades.

Worked for 6 days, 8 hours a day with random 5 minute breaks to lay on the couch with my feet up because it helped me breathe.

The day before I was cleared to come back my Supervisor sent me an email that asked "How many hours did you actually work so we can charge your PTO for the time you weren't working".

I had a very short, very rude email basically ending with "Fuck off...I quit"...my sales rep stepped in and tore the supervisor a new one.

Yeah...sick days. LOL!

Thu Dec 1, 2022, 11:51 AM

11. Bet the CEO's of these rail lines have all the sick pay they can stand

Always plenty of cash for "benefits" for the fucks at the top............

Response to Bengus81 (Reply #11)

Thu Dec 1, 2022, 12:50 PM

16. Anyone know

what the Senate members and House members get as fringe benefits, and particularly what they keep on getting after they retire.

Someone said they only work from Tuesday afternoon to Thursday afternoon????????

This entire past 4+ years sounds a lot more like "ANIMAL FARM" than the U.S. Government it is supposed to be.......
I got out my copy of Animal Farm from 60 years ago and re-read it. It was nauseating to see that Trump/Republicans could have used it as a game plan for the time after 2016, if not before.........

Response to DENVERPOPS (Reply #16)

Thu Dec 1, 2022, 01:21 PM

17. Some animals are more equal than others

Never been more true

Thu Dec 1, 2022, 11:53 AM

12. I was a

Rural Carrier Associate, a part-time position, with the post office until I recently converted to a career position as a city carrier. Part-time positions in the post office don't have sick days. The new contract was supposed to give us vacation days, but I would have much preferred sick days. I think even the city carrier associates, also part-time, don't have sick days but they do have vacation days. Those sick days are so much more important, in my opinion, than vacation days. I spent four days in the hospital back in February and I was out of work a week total, so I lost a whole weeks pay because of that.

Thu Dec 1, 2022, 12:49 PM

15. I'm glad California broadly requires paid sick time.

I think this would make a great ballot measure in other states.

Thu Dec 1, 2022, 01:30 PM

18. Not only no sick leave but guilt trip

of overwhelming your coworkers if you do call off. The only place I worked where I got sick days was the public library.
No other place I worked had sick days, or enough employees to cover if someone called off.

Thu Dec 1, 2022, 01:44 PM

19. My response to headline;

So fucking what? You can bet your ass management and ownership takes required time to recover from illness. Why make illness a punishment? Loss of wages and threats of termination are punishment.

Union Strong

solidarity

Thu Dec 1, 2022, 02:04 PM

20. I never had it

nor paid vacation

good thing I like to work and love my career. I get easily bored on vacation

being active helps keep one healthy so don't really need sick days.

Thu Dec 1, 2022, 02:20 PM

21. Did not have sick pay.

Worked for a large company with good pay and benefits. But no sick pay, a large group of employs branded together and when some was off sick for a week would contribute ten dollars and the total would go to the sick employee. When I was off after back surgery it really helped. Railroads are making record profits they can afford sick pay.

Thu Dec 1, 2022, 03:44 PM

22. Employers shouldn't have anything to do with health care.

It is a burden to the employers and restrictive for employees.
End the chaos.

Thu Dec 1, 2022, 06:35 PM

23. After a review by forum hosts....LOCKING

Feature story, NOT news.

Statement of Purpose
Post the latest news from reputable mainstream news websites and blogs. Important news of national interest only. No analysis or opinion pieces. No duplicates. News stories must have been published within the last 12 hours. Use the published title of the story as the title of the discussion thread.