HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Hyundai announces new Geo...

Thu Nov 24, 2022, 12:00 PM

Hyundai announces new Georgia plant's $1B parts supplier

Source: AP

an hour ago

RICHMOND HILL, Ga. (AP) — South Korean automaker Hyundai has announced a second large supplier for its new electric car plant on the Georgia coast.

Hyundai Mobis plans to invest nearly $1 billion in a new facility in Bryan County that could employ around 1,500 workers, Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp said in a news release.

The plant in Richmond Hill will make powertrains for Hyundai’s electric vehicles manufactured at its new plant scheduled to open in 2025 about 30 miles (48 kilometers) west of Savannah as well as components for a Kia plant in West Point and another Hyundai plant in Montgomery, Alabama, officials said.

Earlier this month, the governor announced that Joon Georgia would invest $317 million and hire 630 workers for a Hyundai parts plant in Statesboro.

José Muñoz, global president and COO of Hyundai Motor Company and the president and CEO of Hyundai and Genesis Motor North America, speaks at the AutoMobility LA Auto Show Thursday, Nov. 17, 2022, in Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)

Read more: https://apnews.com/article/technology-alabama-georgia-electric-vehicles-montgomery-268f30a1bd9ab414241e58628b03170f

8 replies, 1430 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Hyundai announces new Georgia plant's $1B parts supplier (Original post)
Omaha Steve Thursday OP
Name removed Thursday #1
Ford_Prefect Thursday #2
oldsoftie Thursday #6
Ford_Prefect Thursday #7
William Seger Thursday #8
DFW Thursday #3
LudwigPastorius Thursday #4
oldsoftie Thursday #5

Response to Omaha Steve (Original post)

Thu Nov 24, 2022, 12:31 PM

2. Good news they are investing in Georgia to produce parts and therefore jobs. But...

They'll be needing a factory and warehouses on stilts before long since Richmond Hill is only 8 ft above sea level. The next serious Hurricane could be a problem too. One hopes they have taken the longer view but Climate Change/Global Warming and attendant rising sea level could make the placement moot.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Ford_Prefect (Reply #2)

Thu Nov 24, 2022, 06:11 PM

6. I know they're on the river, but I don't think they're THAT low!

Or maybe they found a hill!

Reply to this post

Response to oldsoftie (Reply #6)

Thu Nov 24, 2022, 07:00 PM

7. The town is listed at that altitude. The area is a low coastal plain similar to areas of North

Carolina which are facing he same dilemma and and often have hurricanes. I'm sure someone may have considered this. However it is a sweet-heart deal in a southern state which has a poor record of protecting workers and the environment.

Building this close to the tide line and the hurricane coast raises these questions. They may have already been taken into the planning but regional history addressing such has not been good.

The thing about being on a coastal river when the hurricane hits is that it tends to back the river up leading to overflow. Hog farms in NC were flooded badly due to this kind of situation along with community water plants.

My point is not that the first hurricane will inundate the plant and warehouses. It may be the third one or the fifth one that does it or creates a problem of access to the plant site. The expectation that there will be meaningful rise in the future tide line is the issue.

Reply to this post

Response to Ford_Prefect (Reply #7)

Thu Nov 24, 2022, 09:46 PM

8. Google Earth also shows elevations around 8' along the river

I'm not sure where they're building, but the "hill" of Richmond Hill seems to be 15' to 18'.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 24, 2022, 12:46 PM

3. Oh, do I WISH I knew someone at Hyundai!!!!

I would have made it contingent on Georgia promising to expand voting rights and rescind restrictions on abortion rights, because an investment that large necessarily involves a large number of employees, some of whom will eventually want or need to access both rights. Happy workers are efficient workers, after all.

Reply to this post

Thu Nov 24, 2022, 06:09 PM

5. Would be nice to get AMERICAN companies to start making things OUT of china.

Even Korean companies are doing it

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread