HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » The E.U. is preparing for...

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 09:27 AM

The E.U. is preparing for blackouts this winter, amid an energy crisis

Source: Washington Post

An energy supply crunch tied to the war in Ukraine could cause widespread blackouts in the European Union this winter, an official in charge of managing crises within the bloc has warned.

The European Union is shoring up its resources as temperatures drop and preparing for two “conceivable scenarios”: One in which a few member states experience power cuts, and another in which blackouts occur in many member states at the same time, E.U. Crisis Management Commissioner Janez Lenarcic told Germany’s RND media.

In the first scenario, E.U. states could step in to provide targeted help to affected countries, including emergency power generators. But in the case of more widespread blackouts, the European Commission would be forced to draw from its strategic energy reserve, while individual countries would cap their emergency aid deliveries, Lenarcic added.

European officials insist they are better prepared for what’s to come than at the start of the war in Ukraine, with stores of natural gas in the E.U. at nearly 90 percent of capacity — 15 percent higher than the same day last year. Still, more needs to be done to ensure the bloc can quickly respond to “sudden disruptions” in energy supply, and to “better protect” critical networks in the E.U., European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said in a speech to the European Parliament on Wednesday.

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/10/05/europe-blackouts-energy-crisis-ukraine-russia/

8 replies, 1109 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply The E.U. is preparing for blackouts this winter, amid an energy crisis (Original post)
brooklynite Oct 5 OP
Post removed Oct 5 #1
yankee87 Oct 5 #2
Andy Canuck Oct 5 #3
brooklynite Oct 5 #5
speak easy Oct 5 #4
Farmer-Rick Oct 5 #6
SWBTATTReg Oct 5 #7
The Protagonist Oct 5 #8

Response to brooklynite (Original post)

Response to Post removed (Reply #1)

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 09:44 AM

2. Scare tactics?

Doing this is a way to get a price increase? Fear always is an effective way to control the narrative.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to yankee87 (Reply #2)

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 10:09 AM

3. Not scare tactics

but advanced warning to the population that there are going to be real struggles this winter due to the Ukraine war. This is not a conspiracy to raise energy prices.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 10:33 AM

4. And E.U. citizens will blame Russia - not Ukraine.

Putin thinks E.U. resolve will crumble in the face of hardship. Maybe he should be thinking about what happened in London during the Blitz.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 01:10 PM

6. The EU should have converted to mostly renewable energy

And this would not happen.

Putin can't block out the sun.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 01:12 PM

7. I thought that Germany, and perhaps others, installed a huge network of solar panels along its

highways (financed by everyday working people to gain tax incentives as well as help Germany in its strive for energy dependence)?

I also thought that they (the Germans) were going to explore other sources of natural gas deliveries, but I haven't seen anything come across yet. Note, the little snippet (April 2015!) I copied below is just a reflection of many articles out there in Internet Land on Germany seeking to increase access to natural gas, for obviously a long time! (Me

Reply to this post

Response to SWBTATTReg (Reply #7)

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 01:26 PM

8. Germany has solar panels everywhere.

Seems like every house has them. You ever been to Germany in the winter? Not much sun.....

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread