HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Republicans gain ground i...

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 07:36 AM

Republicans gain ground in Senate races in Pennsylvania and Wisconsin

Source: Politico/By HOLLY OTTERBEIN and NATALIE ALLISON

PHILADELPHIA — After a grueling summer, Republicans are finally making headway in protecting their top two firewalls in the race for the Senate.

Holding onto at least one of the GOP-held seats in Wisconsin and Pennsylvania — ideally both — is critical if the party wants to flip the Senate. But Wisconsin Republican Sen. Ron Johnson and Pennsylvania Republican Senate nominee Mehmet Oz began the general election with poor favorability ratings and a spending disadvantage on TV.

By contrast, the Democratic candidates, Wisconsin Lt. Gov. Mandela Barnes and Pennsylvania Lt. Gov. John Fetterman, had a great summer: Barnes’ top opponents in the Democratic primary all dropped out and endorsed him, giving him a head start on bringing the party together for the fall. Fetterman won glowing headlines for trolling Oz as an out-of-touch carpetbagger. Both men were leading in polls.

In the last month, however, the momentum has shifted: Johnson has retaken the lead in polling, and though Oz is still behind Fetterman, he has narrowed the gap in election surveys. Strategists in both parties cited the barrage of TV commercials labeling the Democratic candidates as soft on crime as the driving factor.

Read more: https://www.politico.com/news/2022/10/05/johnson-oz-gain-in-senate-polling-00060326

Can't believe the good people of Pennsylvania would vote for a flake like Mehmet Oz. Sigh.

25 replies, 2476 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 25 replies Author Time Post
Reply Republicans gain ground in Senate races in Pennsylvania and Wisconsin (Original post)
ificandream Oct 5 OP
bucolic_frolic Oct 5 #1
Lovie777 Oct 5 #2
LenaBaby61 Oct 5 #4
Rebl2 Oct 5 #24
jimfields33 Oct 5 #10
DFW Oct 5 #3
ificandream Oct 5 #5
ebbie15644 Oct 5 #6
gab13by13 Oct 5 #9
ebbie15644 Oct 5 #15
BumRushDaShow Oct 5 #16
ebbie15644 Oct 5 #18
BumRushDaShow Oct 5 #23
gab13by13 Oct 5 #7
Crowman2009 Oct 5 #8
gab13by13 Oct 5 #11
brooklynite Oct 5 #25
onecaliberal Oct 5 #12
GreenWave Oct 5 #13
AZLD4Candidate Oct 5 #14
newdayneeded Oct 5 #17
Zambero Oct 5 #20
Icanthinkformyself Oct 5 #19
Xoan Oct 5 #21
lees1975 Oct 5 #22

Response to ificandream (Original post)

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 07:42 AM

1. When you are far behind in the polls there's no place to go but up

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 07:43 AM

2. It's horse race time.......

Fetterman will win. I really have not followed Barnes but hey, vote that asshole R back in and the seniors can kiss their Social Security and Medicare goodbye while having to go back to work until they die.

Reply to this post

Response to Lovie777 (Reply #2)

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 07:48 AM

4. THIS 👆🏻👆🏻👆🏻👆🏻

Reply to this post

Response to LenaBaby61 (Reply #4)

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 10:09 AM

24. Agree this

👆👆👆👆

Reply to this post

Response to Lovie777 (Reply #2)

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 07:55 AM

10. Do you honestly think President Biden would sign a bill getting rid of Social Security?

I think he would drag that VETO pen out so quickly. It would last 30 seconds.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 07:43 AM

3. I think a majority of Pennsylvanians will vote for Fetterman, despite the ads

As the good people of Wisconsin, they have proved to be in the minority for too many elections for me to get too cocky there. Ron Johnson has no business being in the US Senate at all, but that was the case in 2016 as well, and there he is, so that remains a toss-up.

On the other hand, the usual predictor of Democratic Party doom and gloom seems to rear her head with the same predictable message, so while I can't dispute her numbers, I do not share her pessimism, which appears to be applied to the Democratic Party just a little too regularly for my tastes.

Reply to this post

Response to DFW (Reply #3)

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 07:50 AM

5. Agreed. I think Roevember will play a formidable part in this year's elections.

Reply to this post

Response to DFW (Reply #3)

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 07:51 AM

6. I'm disappointed in the response to the attack ads

Hearing about "gouchey doctor" doesn't quit answer the attack ads on crime. Fetterman needs to quit with the sarcastic ads and have more sincere ads about his record. Thankfully I have seen one ad answering it but it's after weeks of being slammed

Reply to this post

Response to ebbie15644 (Reply #6)

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 07:54 AM

9. Fetterman is going to bury Oz,

the people of Pa., like myself, can just feel it coming.

I appreciate your concern for John, believe me, he doesn't need to change anything nor will he because that is why Pa. likes him, he is what you see.

Reply to this post

Response to gab13by13 (Reply #9)

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 08:09 AM

15. As a Westmoreland County resident

I hope you are right. As a woman, I pray you are right

Reply to this post

Response to ebbie15644 (Reply #6)

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 08:13 AM

16. Every time Fetterman raises his arms in the air - his "crime-fighting cred" that is tatooed on them

get displayed as he worked towards zero homicides in the city while Oz basked in his 9 homes and even got called into Congress to testify about his schlock miracle pills (one of the latest anti-Oz ad that is playing here in Philly on the radio).

This just started running too -

A bunch of PACs including MeidasTouch's & End Citizen's United's ads have been running here in Philly too.

Oz has basically given up here in the east and the only one mainly running an ad I think is Turtle's PAC.

Note that both candidates are targeting ads to different media markets across the state so we are seeing something completely different here

Reply to this post

Response to BumRushDaShow (Reply #16)

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 08:27 AM

18. Pittsburgh market has been brutal

Reply to this post

Response to ebbie15644 (Reply #18)

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 09:03 AM

23. I'm sure it is

but the majority of the (D) voters live over here. Philly alone represents 15% of the entire state's vote.

There has been an ad done by the current mayor of Braddock that played literally almost every time right after the one anti-Fetterman ad here in Philly - at least on MSNBC in the evenings. I think it may have been done by a PAC.

From what I gather though, if the newly recreated 17th district over there that originally had Lamb, is still hanging onto a toss-up/leaning-D, then that at least says something there.

And if anything, with Braddock being over in that area and where Fetterman has made his home, then he knows that area very well. Alternately, Oz went to med school here (just like 45 went to business school at the same Penn) and he lived in Delaware and New Jersey and is somewhat familiar with the area, but is basically doing what got Frothy booted from the Senate and this particular seat in the first place - being an "absent resident".

Santorum's Residency is Still an Issue

He has two homes in two states, has claimed residency in both this year—and his newest home in Virginia has a purchase price of $0 listed, opening the door to more questions.

Zandy Dudiak,
Patch Staff
Posted Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 11:31 pm ET | Updated Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 7:50 pm ET

At the Iowa Straw Poll in August, Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum handed out samples of what he dubbed “Pennsylvania Presidential Peach Preserves.”

According to a story in the Des Moines (IA) Register, he told a crowd at the Perry Public Library that he, his wife Karen and their children had harvested 600 early peaches from their fruit trees back home, peeled them and made them into 40 jars of peach preserves to take with them to the Straw Poll.

It’s unlikely the peaches came from the $106,000 Penn Hills, PA, home Santorum still—sometimes—claims as his residence. Other than in the supermarkets of the post-World War II suburb that borders Pittsburgh, the only place to find the product of 600 peaches in Penn Hills might be in the juice flavoring used by Turner Dairy Farms to manufacture its peach ice tea.

More likely they came from the yard or nearby the $1.26 million house where his family actually lives in Great Falls, VA. The question of residency continues to haunt the former U.S. senator . He talked about Pennsylvania peaches in Iowa in August as though he lived in the Keystone State, yet in a Dec. 14 Charlotte Observer story, Santorum said he is a Virginia resident.

(snip)

https://patch.com/pennsylvania/chartiersvalley/rick-santorum-s-residency-is-still-an-issue

PA doesn't like carpet-baggers.

Reply to this post

7. I can't believe the number of threads on DU

claiming that Oz is catching Fetterman, One fucking bogus poll has morphed into a right wing talking point.

Wife and I already voted for Big John, just waiting to mail it in.

Polls are used for propaganda, I know what I see. I see more Mastriano signs than I see Oz signs and I see Fetterman/Shapiro signs where I never saw Democratic signs before. Those are my polls, not BS fake polls. Even 538 has gone to hell, I don't believe it either.

Reply to this post

8. I wouldn't rely much on Politico anymore since it's owned by a Trumpist.

Reply to this post

Response to Crowman2009 (Reply #8)

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 07:55 AM

11. Bingo,

it almost pisses me off as much as all of the "The Hill" posts here. The Hill hired John Solomon, nuff said.

Reply to this post

Response to Crowman2009 (Reply #8)

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 10:32 AM

25. Is there something factually wrong in the story?

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 07:58 AM

12. Pure propaganda . They're going to drown in the pink wave.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 07:58 AM

13. Oz should not get a strong anti-dog turnout.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 08:07 AM

14. Right on cue, Politico does another "Republicans are in better position than Democrats" story.

When can we start classifying Politico on the same level as the Moonie Times, the Epoch Times, and the New York Post?

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 08:22 AM

17. Johnson has painted

Mandela as a black criminal coming to rob your house. His campaign is incredibly racist.

Film footage of black crime being committed...pic of Mandela, footage of black convicts in prison...pic of Mandela, Scene of a senior white woman in her home with a terrified look on her face.....pic of Mandela. It's sickening to watch how blatent it is!

He even ends every ad with a pic of Mandela with his head slightly tilted up, dog whistle for "uppity".

Reply to this post

Response to newdayneeded (Reply #17)

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 08:42 AM

20. Willie Horton on steroids

Don't elect the "scary black dude". Keep the pro-Putin pro-insurrectionist guy instead.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 08:39 AM

19. Good grief, it's Politico

That rag has as much credibility as The Hill, i.e. none. The pollsters/pundits are so focused on their polling they forgot to look up and see what's happening right in front of them. But, that would require being honest with their clients, the ones who pay them to feed the public BS. My brother lives in Western PA, the heart of 'red hat' country in PA. He delivers Meals on Wheels to the old folks, of which he is one. He's had many a discussion with MAGATs over the years (he's a Bernie Bro). He reports that, lately, the people who were voting for Republicans are now denouncing the party and vowing to never vote for them again. Fetterman's name is mentioned in positive ways. The pollsters and pundits are going to be amazed, astonished, surprised and down right stupefied at the blue wave about to swamp the entire country because they are ignoring a swath of anger that is focused on the right. The pundits can't figure it out, so they fall back on 'old think'.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 08:43 AM

21. Politico ...

pfft.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 08:43 AM

22. Not buying it.

This has been a running theme for a while, as it was in 2020, when the pollsters were about as wrong as they could be and still claim legitimacy.

I'd bet that Barnes wins by 5, Fetterman by double digits. And I think we'll keep Nevada, Georgia and Arizona, and pick up Florida, Ohio and North Carolina. I have friends working for Franken in Iowa who seem to be optimistic about the news they're getting inside the campaign.

The pollsters will gather on November 9th, shaking their heads and wondering what happened, just like they did in 2020, when we heard that Trump would carry Wisconsin, Arizona and Georgia, that Warnock and Ossoff didn't stand a chance, and in 2021 in the California recall.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread