HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Charles Fuller, who won P...

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 07:09 AM

Charles Fuller, who won Pulitzer for 'A Soldier's Play,' dies at 83

Source: Washington Post

By Harrison Smith
October 4, 2022 at 9:50 p.m. EDT

Charles Fuller, who helped bring nuanced, multifaceted Black characters and stories to the forefront of American theater, winning a Pulitzer Prize in 1982 for “A Soldier’s Play,” his blistering exploration of racism and violence at a Louisiana Army base during World War II, died Oct. 3 at a hospital in Toronto. He was 83.

His son David Indikator Fuller said Mr. Fuller had dementia, but he did not give a specific cause of death. Mr. Fuller had lived in Canada for about four years, he said, after working for decades in his hometown of Philadelphia. A soft-spoken writer who liked to populate his plays with sprawling casts of characters, Mr. Fuller launched his theater career in the late 1960s as Black actors and playwrights were pushing to diversify the predominantly White theater scene.

Joining the ranks of African American playwrights including Amiri Baraka and Charles Gordone, he said he sought “to depict African Americans, especially African American men, not as the stereotypes we have seen for years, but as we see ourselves.” “We live lives that are interesting, exciting,” he added, in an interview with American Theatre magazine in 1999. “My struggle all these years has been to do nothing more than to change how people see us, and in doing so perhaps change how we see ourselves.”

With “A Soldier’s Play,” Mr. Fuller became only the second African American playwright — after Gordone — to win the Pulitzer Prize in drama. Loosely adapted from Herman Melville’s novella “Billy Budd,” about a sailor who inadvertently kills one of his superiors, the play followed a Black military lawyer who investigates the murder of a Black Army sergeant in 1944, when the armed forces were still segregated. The suspects include members of the Ku Klux Klan, bigoted White soldiers and, eventually, Black G.I.s.

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/obituaries/2022/10/04/charles-fuller-soldiers-play-dead/

Wow. R.I.P.

1 replies, 553 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 1 replies Author Time Post
Reply Charles Fuller, who won Pulitzer for 'A Soldier's Play,' dies at 83 (Original post)
BumRushDaShow Oct 5 OP
Paladin Oct 5 #1

Response to BumRushDaShow (Original post)

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 08:20 AM

1. Great play, great movie. RIP. (nt)

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread