HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » S. Korea missile crash du...

Tue Oct 4, 2022, 08:01 PM

S. Korea missile crash during drill with US panics wary city

Source: AP

By KIM TONG-HYUNG

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — A South Korean ballistic missile malfunctioned and crashed into the ground early Wednesday during a live-fire drill with the United States, panicking confused residents of a coastal city already uneasy over increasingly provocative weapons tests by rival North Korea.

The sound of the blast and subsequent fire led many in Gangneung to believe it could be a North Korean attack, concern that only grew as the military and government officials provided no explanation about the explosion for hours.

South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said no injuries have been reported from the accident, which involved a short-range Hyumoo-2 ballistic missile that crashed inside an air force base in the outskirts of the city.

The military said it was investigating what caused the “abnormal flight” of a missile that is a key weapon in South Korea’s preemptive and retaliatory strike strategies against the North.

In this photo provided by South Korea Defense Ministry, an Army Tactical Missile System or ATACMS, missile is fired during a joint military drill between U.S. and South Korea at an undisclosed location in South Korea, Wednesday, Oct. 5, 2022. The Joint Chiefs of Staff said the South Korean and U.S. militaries successfully fired a total of four Army Tactical Missile Systems missiles during the exercise that it said was aimed at demonstrating its precision strike capabilities against the North. (South Korea Defense Ministry via AP)

Read more: https://apnews.com/article/united-states-south-korea-north-joint-chiefs-of-staff-de60a7b5b83248c549e6e65b49b4a373?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=TopNews&utm_campaign=position_04

3 replies, 1019 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply S. Korea missile crash during drill with US panics wary city (Original post)
Omaha Steve Oct 4 OP
OtterDave Oct 4 #1
XorXor Oct 5 #2
Erik the UNred Oct 5 #3

Response to Omaha Steve (Original post)

Tue Oct 4, 2022, 11:36 PM

1. Should the United Nations take care of this?

Why is the DRKP still an issue? We need to starve this corrupt regime to death!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 12:51 AM

2. I don't really understand the "to demonstrate its precision strike capabilities" stuff

I mean, everyone knows what the US and South Korean military is capable of doing. I understand training exercises and I understand testing stuff every so often to make sure it all still works, but if it's not for those then it all seems wasteful. It also gives North Korea more fodder for its own propaganda to help maintain it's creepy little hermit empire. Maybe someone can explain to me what I'm not understanding

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 5, 2022, 03:57 AM

3. Thinking of Chelyabinsk

I've often wondered how many people in that city thought the meteor strike was us attacking Russia?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread