HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Exclusive: Trump lawyers ...

Thu Aug 4, 2022, 05:22 PM

Exclusive: Trump lawyers in talks with Justice Department about January 6 criminal probe

Source: CNN

(CNN)Former President Donald Trump's legal team is in direct communication with Justice Department officials, the first sign of talks between the two sides as the criminal probe into January 6, 2021, accelerates, sources familiar with the matter tell CNN. The talks revolve around whether Trump would be able to shield conversations he had while he was president from federal investigators. In recent weeks, investigators have moved aggressively into Trump's orbit, subpoenaing top former White House officials, focusing on efforts to overturn the 2020 election and executing searches of lawyers who sought to aid those efforts.

The Trump team's discussions are with the US attorney's office in Washington, DC, which is in charge of the investigation, and its top January 6 prosecutor Thomas Windom, the sources said. The conversations have not been previously reported. At this stage, the conversations are focused mostly on whether any communications that witnesses from the Trump West Wing had with the former president can be kept from a federal criminal grand jury under Trump's claims of executive privilege, the people said.

The Justice Department has been anticipating a court fight with Trump over executive privilege. The issue has arisen as grand jury subpoenas have been issued to two former White House counsel's office officials and to former Vice President Mike Pence's chief counsel and chief of staff. Trump's legal defense team has warned him that indictments are possible, sources tell CNN.

Some members of Trump's legal team have discussed his potential defense strategies on at least two occasions in recent months, according to two sources familiar with the matter, as they brace for new developments in the Justice Department probe and a separate investigation by Georgia officials into his potentially criminal meddling in the state's 2020 election results. Rolling Stone previously reported that Trump had been briefed. Trump has grilled his attorneys on whether they actually believe he will face formal charges, sources said. Yet the former President has expressed a heavy dose of skepticism that he will be indicted, one of the sources familiar with the matter said.

Read more: https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/04/politics/trump-justice-department-january-6-criminal-investigation/index.html

20 replies, 1816 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 20 replies Author Time Post
Reply Exclusive: Trump lawyers in talks with Justice Department about January 6 criminal probe (Original post)
BumRushDaShow Thursday OP
PortTack Thursday #1
marble falls Thursday #2
PortTack Thursday #4
marble falls Thursday #5
PortTack Thursday #10
Brainfodder Thursday #3
marble falls Thursday #6
Liberty Belle Friday #13
ShazzieB Friday #17
Mysterian Thursday #7
LudwigPastorius Thursday #8
SayItLoud Thursday #9
EndlessWire Thursday #11
orangecrush Thursday #12
867-5309. Friday #14
msfiddlestix Friday #15
BumRushDaShow Friday #16
Deminpenn Friday #18
BumRushDaShow Friday #19
peppertree Saturday #20

Response to BumRushDaShow (Original post)

Thu Aug 4, 2022, 05:36 PM

1. "Skepticism about being indicted." Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to PortTack (Reply #1)

Thu Aug 4, 2022, 06:16 PM

2. I want him as cocky as Alex Jones was. I want him to feel like the world has dropped him but good.

Reply to this post

Response to marble falls (Reply #2)

Thu Aug 4, 2022, 07:19 PM

4. I could go for that...BIG TIME! And I want a judge that smacks him down like this one did jones

Reply to this post

Response to PortTack (Reply #4)

Thu Aug 4, 2022, 07:24 PM

5. He's a walking advertisement for a serious slapping down.

Reply to this post

Response to marble falls (Reply #5)

Thu Aug 4, 2022, 10:19 PM

10. I love your sign..he needs to go..I no longer care how. Right there with ya!

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 4, 2022, 06:36 PM

3. Maybe to negotiate a sentence?

I can dream, and when I dream I go big or why bother?

Reply to this post

Response to Brainfodder (Reply #3)

Thu Aug 4, 2022, 07:25 PM

6. He'll be coming to jebus soon enough. He's got be starting to sweat.

Reply to this post

Response to Brainfodder (Reply #3)

Fri Aug 5, 2022, 12:16 AM

13. Part of any plea deal could be he agrees not to run for President again.

When San Diego Mayor Bob Filner got indicted on criminal charges of sexually harassing women including staffers, he pleaded guilty and got house arrest instead of jail time, followed by probation, but had to agree not to run for public office again until the full probationary term ran out.

Of course his crimes of groping/harassing women was far less serious that what Trump could be charged with, but since there is a chance of a Trumper on a jury leading to an acquittal, the DOJ might be willing to plea bargain for a shorter sentence provided he agrees to never run for any public office again, never contact any election officials or leaders of extremist groups, etc. He should do some time, but a plea bargain is worth something - better than having him beat the rap and run again with his deluded brain-dead followers viewing him as some sort of martyr.

Reply to this post

Response to Liberty Belle (Reply #13)

Fri Aug 5, 2022, 02:55 PM

17. IF only... *deeply weary sigh*

"Part of any plea deal could be he agrees not to run for President again."

OMG, yes, PLEASE!

Personally, I would very willing to forego the pleasure of seeing him behind bars in return for a promise not to ever run for office again, but I suspect it would take a hell of a lot to get him to agree to that.

The fact that he's STILL trying to play the executive privilege card is a sign of how deep in denial he is. He regards the presidency as something he's entitled to (God knows why) as well as his ultimate "get out of jail free" card, and I don't think he'll agree to relinquish any hope of ever running again without YUGE and compelling inducements and only after a bigly fight.

It will certainly be interesting to see how this plays out.

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 4, 2022, 07:29 PM

7. Har dee har har

Can't wait to see mango's booking photo!

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 4, 2022, 08:08 PM

8. "Trump lawyers in talks with Justice Department about January 6 criminal probe"

Trump's lawyers, "We found these suitcases of cash outside. We're just going to leave them here, in the good hands of the DOJ prosecutors. We would like you to do us a favor, though."

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 4, 2022, 10:09 PM

9. What are the attnys representing tfg? NT

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 4, 2022, 10:34 PM

11. More executive privilege crap.

You don't get Executive Privilege to stage a coup, nor to weasel out of the investigation. Such a definition of executive privilege would be overly broad.

Trump thinks this single aspect will save his doughy ass from an indictment. Dream on. Doesn't mean that someone couldn't flip on him to save their own sorry ass.

Whenever I think of the J6 riot, for some reason I think of that officer who got crunched in the door. That was awful, and it has become symbolic for me. And, Trump doesn't care. He's out hosting golf tournaments for the Saudis, and sweet talking Orban like he's still the President. Eff Trump and all those who support him.

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 4, 2022, 10:34 PM

12. Trump is toast

So much for our "President for Life"

Life in prison, maybe.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 5, 2022, 11:41 AM

14. Clickbait BS

It's about executive priviledge. Why not put that in the headline instead of letting people think it's about charges against TFG?

Reply to this post

Response to 867-5309. (Reply #14)

Fri Aug 5, 2022, 12:03 PM

15. ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ ✔️ n/t

Reply to this post

Response to 867-5309. (Reply #14)

Fri Aug 5, 2022, 12:18 PM

16. Half of DU was adamant that *nothing* would be happening at all on this front.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 5, 2022, 03:09 PM

18. Nixon didn't think he'd be indicted either

until his lawyers were told the GJ had taken a straw poll among themselves to indict him, but ultimately were asked by DoJ to name him as an undicted co-conspirator instead.

This GJ has been sitting for a long time now and is just as intimately familiar with Jan 6th as the Nixon GJ was with Watergate. Wouldn't surprise me to learn that they all feel the same way the Nixon GJ felt about indicting Nixon.

Precedent on executive privlege was set in US vs Nixon and also by the DC circuit. Could the current SCOTUS overturn that? Sure, but after the furious backlash to their decision in Dobbs, I don't think they would.

In a lot of ways, this GJ investigation is playing out like Watergate did toward the end when the conspirators all started talking to save themselves.

Reply to this post

Response to Deminpenn (Reply #18)

Fri Aug 5, 2022, 03:24 PM

19. The one difference thankfully here

is that although Nixon was still in office when the noose tightened, this one isn't (and hopefully well never be again).

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 6, 2022, 12:42 AM

20. But will 'the client' co-operate?

This much we know: those lawyers ae working pro bono - whether they want to or not.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread