HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » China conducts 'precision...

Thu Aug 4, 2022, 02:54 PM

China conducts 'precision missile strikes' in Taiwan Strait

Source: AP

By JOHNSON LAI and HUIZHONG WU

KEELUNG, Taiwan (AP) — China conducted “precision missile strikes” Thursday in waters off Taiwan’s coasts as part of military exercises that have raised tensions in the region to their highest level in decades following a visit by U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

China earlier announced that military exercises by its navy, air force and other departments were underway in six zones surrounding Taiwan, which Beijing claims as its own territory to be annexed by force if necessary.

Five of the missiles fired by China landed in Japan’s Exclusive Economic Zone off Hateruma, an island far south of Japan’s main islands, Japanese Defense Minister Nobuo Kishi said. He said Japan protested the missile landings to China as “serious threats to Japan’s national security and the safety of the Japanese people.”

Japan’s Defense Ministry also speculated that four missiles flew over Taipei, the capital city, crossing the mainland, according to a statement its embassy in D.C. posted on Twitter. Taiwan’s Defense Ministry did not deny the claim, saying that the flight path was “outside the atmosphere and is not harmful to the vast area on the ground it flies over.”

In this image taken from video footage run by China's CCTV, a projectile is launched from an unspecified location in China, Thursday, Aug. 4, 2022. China says it conducted "precision missile strikes" in the Taiwan Strait on Thursday as part of military exercises that have raised tensions in the region to their highest level in decades. (CCTV via AP)

Read more: https://apnews.com/article/taiwan-asia-navy-china-air-force-4bd08ab9ecd2a9f7d450cf61618d28af

8 replies, 962 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Omaha Steve (Original post)

Thu Aug 4, 2022, 03:21 PM

1. And so, if Taipei conducts a missle test over PRC territory during a visit by a Russian official

Beijing would be cool with that?

I thought not.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Aug 4, 2022, 03:35 PM

2. Gosh, that's the way to show maturity China...

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 4, 2022, 03:44 PM

3. Once more our beautiful planet has to suffer for the egos of warmongers. n/t

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 4, 2022, 04:41 PM

4. Xi is an intense nationalist as is Putin. Sending missiles into Japans airspace is blatant.

The Chinese still despise Japan. I would not be surprised if Putin and Xi start linking arms (literal and figural). Meanwhile, we are divided here. Not sure how this goes at all.

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 4, 2022, 04:51 PM

5. Temper, temper.

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 4, 2022, 05:35 PM

6. I bet Japan could beat china alone.

All talk these commies are. Fuck off China.

Reply to this post

Response to pwb (Reply #6)

Fri Aug 5, 2022, 01:22 PM

8. I don't think China would mess with Japan. Not only do they have a sophisticated self defense force,

they are also firm US allies and host a number of US military bases. A war with Japan would be a war against the US, too.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 5, 2022, 01:21 PM

7. I'm wondering if Taiwan doesn't have an anti-missile system?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread