HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Black women who once hate...

Fri Jul 29, 2022, 01:08 PM

Black women who once hated guns are embracing them as violence rises

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Omaha Steve (a host of the Latest Breaking News forum).

Source: Washington Post

Across America, Black women are taking up arms in unprecedented numbers. Research shows that first-time gun buyers since 2019 have been more likely to be Black and more likely to be female than gun purchasers in previous years, a finding that aligns with surveys of gun sellers.

Gun sales spiked across all demographic groups during the coronavirus pandemic, and remained high through the protests that followed the police murder of George Floyd, the attack on the U.S. Capitol and other events that many saw as signs of a nation in chaos. The National Rifle Association and other gun-industry lobbyists have long exploited such fears to boost sales of firearms and weaken the laws that restrict their use.

But Parker and others like her are part of a new chapter in the long-running story of America’s relationship with firearms. Scarred — sometimes literally — by the firsthand consequences of gun violence and disenchanted with decades of urban gun-control policies that they regard as largely ineffective, some Black women in D.C. and other cities are embracing a view long espoused by Second Amendment activists: that only guns will make them safer.

It is a development that could upend America’s gun-rights debate, traditionally seen as pitting largely White rural and suburban firearms owners against city residents, many of them Black, whose elected leaders have pursued some of the nation’s strictest gun-control policies.

Read more: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/black-women-who-once-hated-guns-are-embracing-them-as-violence-rises/ar-AA102x3k

12 replies, 1143 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to TheProle (Original post)

Fri Jul 29, 2022, 01:12 PM

1. Well, it's what happens when the government fails to protect the people in the country

The police will cower in fear of a school shooter

The government cares more about embryos and profits than people

And politicians will prosecute you for miscarriages and deny a pregnant 10 year old exists

---

It's a sorry state of affairs.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Jul 29, 2022, 01:14 PM

2. Don't blame them

I don't blame them, especially with urban street violence on the rise.

Fri Jul 29, 2022, 01:17 PM

3. Will they now be referred here as being gun humpers ?

Response to MichMan (Reply #3)

Fri Jul 29, 2022, 01:22 PM

4. Patiently waiting...

Fri Jul 29, 2022, 01:25 PM

5. If ever Covid is conquered and I can go shopping

I am thinking about getting a gun to carry. I don't go out now because of Covid, but why should I fear thugs with guns any time? My dad taught me to shoot and I took gun training and would take more before I armed myself. I don't see any other solution to getting around the law allowing rampant gun ownership. It is absolutely ridiculous to live like this.

Fri Jul 29, 2022, 01:26 PM

6. I seem to recall

A lot of denial that was happening. We were assured 90+% of gun purchases were being made by white males with micro penis syndrome.

Response to sarisataka (Reply #6)

Fri Jul 29, 2022, 02:03 PM

10. According to pew research

From 2017:

Whites 36%
Blacks 24%
Hispanics 15%

Own guns.

Urban 19%
Suburban: 28%
Rural: 46%

It would be interesting to compare gun ownership rates using race×location.

https://www.pewresearch.org/social-trends/2017/06/22/the-demographics-of-gun-ownership/

Fri Jul 29, 2022, 01:32 PM

7. They have every right to defend themselves and their families

Fri Jul 29, 2022, 01:37 PM

8. I am all in favor of Black, Latinx/Hispanic, Asian and Native people buying guns in large numbers.

It's the only way we'll ever get any effective gun regulation implemented.

ironically,
Bright

Fri Jul 29, 2022, 02:02 PM

9. I'm pissed that it had to come to this. I'm also hoping that these women

who are purchasing them have much better coping skills than the men who use guns as an extension of their emotional inadequacies.

The idea that anyone can assess a situation, draw a gun and shoot fast enough for defense doesn't seem to be borne out in statistics I've seen. Granted I don't follow gun stats that closely.

I suppose it could be seen as a deterrent but more suicides, accidents, weapon theft and having their own weapon used against them worries me.

Fri Jul 29, 2022, 02:05 PM

11. It will likely result in more accidental deaths....

And more police shooting black people because they "saw" a gun.

But I understand the motivation to want to protect themselves when the Kyle Rittenhouse's'and George Zimmerman's are allowed to walk around with guns and intimidate people.

Fri Jul 29, 2022, 02:07 PM

12. After a review by forum hosts....LOCKING

OVER 12 hours old when posted. Also this is a feature piece, NOT LBN!

Statement of Purpose
Post the latest news from reputable mainstream news websites and blogs. Important news of national interest only. No analysis or opinion pieces. No duplicates. News stories must have been published within the last 12 hours. Use the published title of the story as the title of the discussion thread.