HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Pro-choice demonstrators ...

Sat May 14, 2022, 02:45 PM

Pro-choice demonstrators rally across the US over expected reversal of Roe v Wade - live

Source: the guardian

LIVE Updated 9m ago

Thousands take to the streets in opposition to supreme court’s draft opinion scrapping constitutional right to abortion

Updated at 13.49 EDT
33m ago

Striking images have emerged from the Bans Off Our Bodies rally in Washington DC.

Here are a few:

?width=620&quality=45&auto=format&fit=max&dpr=2&s=f4b55712b81b66141c5aee0aeac7e76d

Abortion rights protester Christa from Atlanta participates in nationwide pro-choice demonstrations in Washington, US, May 14, 2022. Photograph: Leah Millis/Reuters

Read more: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2022/may/14/abortion-protests-us-roe-v-wade-politics-live-updates

?width=620&quality=45&auto=format&fit=max&dpr=2&s=5d492c2567821e94c352e2e780568687

Abortion rights protesters hold up images of US supreme court justices Amy Coney Barrett, Samuel Alito, Clarence Thomas, Brett Kavanaugh and John Roberts in New York. Photograph: Jeenah Moon/AP

?s=20&t=YRy1LdUbk-q_GyGzqJEovQ

2h ago
Victoria Bekiempis

People of all ages, races and genders marching for abortion rights

Protesters have started to march from Cadman Plaza, in Brooklyn, toward the Brooklyn Bridge, en route to Downtown Manhattan, in a demonstration for reproductive health rights. It is one of hundreds of demonstrations across the US following a leaked draft Supreme Court decision that suggests the justices will vote to overturn Roe v Wade, which legalized abortion in the US.

?width=620&quality=45&auto=format&fit=max&dpr=2&s=0373f5b732c38704ec35fc91cc026c73
Protesters rally during an abortion rights demonstration, Saturday, May 14, 2022, in New York Photograph: Jeenah Moon/AP

The mood among the two-to-three thousand present is enthusiasm marked by solemnity. People of all ages, races, and genders are participating in this walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. The front line is carrying a green sign that reads “Our bodies, our abortions.” Others hold signs that read “Abortion is healthcare” and “My body, my choice.”
“I always want my right to an abortion to be free and accessible,” protester Nicole Cornell 22, told The Guardian. “It’s my own choice to be pregnant. I don’t want the government to infringe on that right.” Protesters are also expected to gather in New York City’s Union Square at 2 pm.

2 replies, 1457 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Pro-choice demonstrators rally across the US over expected reversal of Roe v Wade - live (Original post)
riversedge May 14 OP
BigmanPigman May 14 #1
ancianita May 15 #2

Response to riversedge (Original post)

Sat May 14, 2022, 04:21 PM

1. They will continue to have the rallies

since this isn't enough. Getting people registered to vote, etc is how the Planned Parenthood and the Womens March activists are continuing the fight for healthcare and rights. The speakers at the rallies are encouraging resistance and this is just the beginning of our fight for rights.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to BigmanPigman (Reply #1)

Sun May 15, 2022, 11:15 AM

2. Big Kick and Rec!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread