HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Leading House Democrat Bi...

Fri May 13, 2022, 07:27 PM

Leading House Democrat Bill Pascrell demands Biden replace IRS chief over tax document destruction '

Source: CNBC

A leading House Democrat on Friday called on President Joe Biden to replace IRS Commissioner Charles Rettig over the agency's controversial destruction of data related to 30 million paper-filed tax returns.

"The IRS is vital to public confidence in our nation and its Trump-appointed leader has failed," said Rep. Bill Pascrell of New Jersey, chair of the oversight subcommittee of the powerful House Ways and Means Committee.

"This latest revelation adds to the public's plummeting confidence in our unfair two-tier tax system," Pascrell said.

That confidence cannot recover if all the American people see at the IRS is incompetence and catastrophe," the Democrat added. "The manner by which we are learning about the destruction of unprocessed paperwork is just the latest example of the lackadaisical attitude from Mr. Rettig."

Read more: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/leading-house-democrat-bill-pascrell-demands-biden-replace-irs-chief-over-tax-document-destruction-scandal/ar-AAXf9h1

30 replies, 4577 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 30 replies Author Time Post
Reply Leading House Democrat Bill Pascrell demands Biden replace IRS chief over tax document destruction ' (Original post)
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin May 13 OP
Grasswire2 May 13 #1
58Sunliner May 13 #2
Lonestarblue May 13 #3
2naSalit May 13 #5
KPN May 14 #24
ratchiweenie May 14 #27
BumRushDaShow May 13 #7
ancianita May 13 #17
KPN May 14 #25
ancianita May 14 #26
FoxNewsSucks May 13 #14
Budi May 13 #4
BumRushDaShow May 13 #8
Budi May 13 #13
red dog 1 May 14 #20
bucolic_frolic May 13 #6
BigmanPigman May 13 #15
bucolic_frolic May 13 #16
ancianita May 13 #18
Igel May 13 #19
Hoyt May 13 #9
no_hypocrisy May 13 #10
elleng May 13 #11
keithbvadu2 May 13 #12
KPN May 14 #28
red dog 1 May 14 #21
childfreebychoice May 14 #22
Grins May 14 #23
Grasswire2 May 15 #29
Kahuna May 15 #30

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Original post)

Fri May 13, 2022, 07:33 PM

1. THANK YOU PASCREL!

Geez!

I can't imagine why Rettig is still in the job.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri May 13, 2022, 07:36 PM

2. Overdue!! Thank you.

Reply to this post

Fri May 13, 2022, 07:44 PM

3. I really have a hard time understanding why Trump appointees have not been let go.

It’s not as if the Biden team doesn't know that most of them were incompetent and appointed because they declared everlasting love for all things Trump, and knew they could get away with lots of corruption on the side.

Reply to this post

Response to Lonestarblue (Reply #3)

Fri May 13, 2022, 07:53 PM

5. There's a long, drawn out process...

To remove some career employees. Some are impossible to remove, you have to entice them to quit, like putting them in a useless position in some remote location until they retire.

Reply to this post

Response to 2naSalit (Reply #5)

Sat May 14, 2022, 11:15 AM

24. It isn't that frigging long and drawn out. I spent my career with the federal government. GW

placed his own people and forced a lot of career execs to move in a matter of a few months at most. The Biden admin has not been nimble in this regard. Given tfg and the people he and his cronies placed, this should have been a higher priority than it has been.

Reply to this post

Response to KPN (Reply #24)

Sat May 14, 2022, 07:00 PM

27. Agreed. He has been way too reasonable. We really need to be rid of these crooks.

Reply to this post

Fri May 13, 2022, 08:13 PM

7. It's a 5-year term

and in this case, since Rettig started a year into that term, his term is up this November. I expect Biden will nominate someone else by then.

I saw that WaPo has a "tracker" page for the appointees so far -

Joe Biden has picked 514 nominees to fill key roles in his administration so far

We are tracking 800 government positions among about 1,200 that require Senate confirmation.

107 positions have no Biden nominee.

2 picks are awaiting formal nomination.

153 nominees are being considered by the Senate.

359 have been confirmed by the Senate.

Additionally, we have identified 179 appointees so far who are serving in termed positions or who were held over from previous administrations.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/interactive/2020/biden-appointee-tracker/

Reply to this post

Response to BumRushDaShow (Reply #7)

Fri May 13, 2022, 10:44 PM

17. Thank you for this post. I'm glad to see a tracker on Biden's nominations.

Those Senate Rethugs just don't want to govern, doing as little as possible to appear to justify their salaries while their goal is to actually erode productive government and governance.

Reply to this post

Response to ancianita (Reply #17)

Sat May 14, 2022, 11:23 AM

25. In their minds, that is governing. They are doing what they believe is right. And that is what

is so insidious about the mess our country -- and, frankly, the world as a result -- is in today. The have beliefs -- free markets, small government, white supremacy and evangelical christianity; all false gods.

Reply to this post

Response to KPN (Reply #25)

Sat May 14, 2022, 11:56 AM

26. Their minds are captured by private equity donors who tell them that's their job, and what's right

is to strip all assets from even healthy businesses, real estate (Brooklyn), and government (Republicans). Corporate capture of this government is no joke.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2022/05/private-equity-city-pensions-burger-king-roark-liverpool-yale/

And though Elizabeth Warren has been the biggest foe of private equity investment, she gets nowhere because our Democratic Party leaders get money from the same private equity machine she wants to reform and regulate.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2022/05/elizabeth-warren-private-equity-stop-wall-street-looting/

We (Democrats, too) are so fucked by dark money.

Reply to this post

Fri May 13, 2022, 09:09 PM

14. Part of it may go back to BushCheneyCo

They reclassified a number of federal jobs so that the next president couldn't easily fire them as with appointed positions.

Reply to this post

Fri May 13, 2022, 07:50 PM

4. Is this an appointment or a congressional nomination?

Doe he have tenure like DeJoy?

All Trump holdovers should have been replaced asap.

Reply to this post

Response to Budi (Reply #4)

Fri May 13, 2022, 08:17 PM

8. A 5-year term that is up this year

so Biden should hopefully get a nomination in at some point.

But expect that this will literally be a knock-down drag out fight for getting someone confirmed given the power of that position and what we all know are some... ahem... obvious circumstances about certain tax returns, that need resolution!

Reply to this post

Response to BumRushDaShow (Reply #8)

Fri May 13, 2022, 09:04 PM

13. Dang. Hoping he could avoid the vote & just make appointment

Ugh.

Reply to this post

Response to Budi (Reply #4)

Sat May 14, 2022, 12:27 AM

20. + 1

Reply to this post

Fri May 13, 2022, 08:12 PM

6. My 2020 return still not final

They tell me do this, I do it, they tell me something else. Don't know what to do.

Reply to this post

Response to bucolic_frolic (Reply #6)

Fri May 13, 2022, 09:36 PM

15. They never did mine from 2020

and I still haven't received the return $$$ from 2021. Year after year they get worse and worse.

This pisses me off a lot!!! I do my taxes myself since I am close to poverty level and I get them in by the deadline each year but they screw up my returns and I am supposed to say "great, thank you"? I don't think so.

Reply to this post

Response to BigmanPigman (Reply #15)

Fri May 13, 2022, 09:50 PM

16. Similar here

I file a paper return. I don't trust the online software, I read you can't download the exact return with all pages, you get a summary. Don't know if it's true. I expect they'll get to my 2021 return after Election Day.

Each time they contact me it comes from a different office. I filed in UT, got a reply from MO, and was told to file a form. I did. I get a reply from Atlanta which ignores the form I filed.

Reply to this post

Response to bucolic_frolic (Reply #6)

Fri May 13, 2022, 10:46 PM

18. My tax preparer friend tells me that the IRS is 3 years behind in processing filings.

Reply to this post

Response to ancianita (Reply #18)

Fri May 13, 2022, 10:57 PM

19. Dunno.

I filed electronically in 2020 for 2019, got my return in 4 weeks. Give or take a few days.

Filed on paper in 2021 for 2020, got my return in 4 weeks. Give or take a few days.

Filed electronically just over 4 weeks ago, It's been just over 4 weeks, so it's still within the "give or take a few days" window.

As for the OP, what was destroyed weren't tax returns but informational documents provided by banks, employers, etc. The claim is that the IRS will assume that if you claim $321.39 in taxable interest, and the document from the bank is missing, that you're correct because there are no grounds to say you're wrong. That's the OP.

Reply to this post

Fri May 13, 2022, 08:25 PM

9. Apparently, GOPers similarly demanded removal of Obama's Commissioner in 2017.

Reply to this post

Fri May 13, 2022, 08:40 PM

10. That's MY Rep!

Already donated $100 to his re-election.

Reply to this post

Fri May 13, 2022, 08:47 PM

11. Sounds serious.

Reply to this post

Fri May 13, 2022, 09:00 PM

12. Trump has left his own 'Deep State'.

Reply to this post

Response to keithbvadu2 (Reply #12)

Sat May 14, 2022, 11:05 PM

28. Not just tfg. His R predecessors as well. The Rs created the "deep state", and as they project on

everything, so do they bally-hoo, blather and create right-wing hysteria about the "deep state"!

Reply to this post

Sat May 14, 2022, 12:35 AM

21. "Some Democrats are uneasy about the GOP-picked IRS Commissioner but fear replacing him would create

Reply to this post

Response to red dog 1 (Reply #21)

Sat May 14, 2022, 12:56 AM

22. Dem fear is palpable in so many levels. Prob

Concerned that Dem choice would be blocked by rethugs, til after '24. Biden needs to use t* tactics, temporary appointments for 290 days

Reply to this post

Sat May 14, 2022, 10:22 AM

23. Rettig was a Trump plant. (Like DeJoy.)

Put there to block inquiry into Trump’s tax information.

And Rettig delivered!

Congress subpoenaed Trump’s records and Rettig refused to comply, saying the SUBPOENA “lacks a legitimate legislative purpose.”

Reply to this post

Response to Grins (Reply #23)

Sun May 15, 2022, 01:51 AM

29. exactly

despite the law stating that the Commissioner SHALL release tax returns on request of Congress.

Reply to this post

Sun May 15, 2022, 07:09 PM

30. They surely destroyed my 2020 return, however they cashed

the enclosed check within 2 days. Earlier this year I received a letter stating that I needed to send them the return that would represent the check they quickly deposited.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread