HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Russian prisoner to be tr...

Wed May 11, 2022, 12:44 PM

Russian prisoner to be tried in first war crimes case in Ukraine

Source: The Hill

Ukraine’s Office of the Prosecutor General on Wednesday said that a Russian soldier was indicted and would face a trial for an alleged war crime.

The accused soldier, who is already in custody, shot and killed a 62-year-old civilian who was unarmed and riding a bicycle through the village of Chupakhivka in February, the prosecutor general’s office said.

Vadim Shishimarin, the 21-year-old soldier, will be the first Russian soldier to be put on trial for a war crime amid Moscow’s ongoing unprovoked invasion of Ukraine, according to The Washington Post.

Prosecutor General Iryna Venediktova told the U.S. Helsinki Commission that Russia has committed almost 10,000 war crimes throughout the invasion, according to Axios.

Read more: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/russian-prisoner-to-be-tried-in-first-war-crimes-case-in-ukraine/ar-AAXa3LQ

10 replies, 1600 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Russian prisoner to be tried in first war crimes case in Ukraine (Original post)
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin Wednesday OP
GregariousGroundhog Wednesday #1
Warpy Wednesday #9
AlexSFCA Wednesday #2
AZLD4Candidate Wednesday #3
crud Wednesday #4
littlemissmartypants Wednesday #7
TomSlick Wednesday #5
C Moon Wednesday #6
MontanaMama Wednesday #8
ck4829 5 hrs ago #10

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Original post)

Wed May 11, 2022, 01:02 PM

1. I don't know how I feel about this

If Ukraine prosecutes soldiers for war crimes, that will more than likely roil up Russia. I'm almost wondering if there is an argument to be made in asking the International Criminal Court to do these prosecutions so that Ukraine can reasonably claim that these trials are not within their jurisdiction. I don't know if that can thread of the needle of delivering justice whilst avoiding reprisals though.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to GregariousGroundhog (Reply #1)

Wed May 11, 2022, 04:41 PM

9. What are they going to do, let this piece of shit go home to his Momma?

I would hope they'd allow the international courts to handle this one, I don't want this asshole alive and well and back on the front line to murder more people who are no threat to him or anyone else.

Either he's a psychopath or he was drunk on his ass and just taking potshots at unarmed grandfathers because no one told him not to. Either thing needs to be exposed for the whole world to see. It's also highly likely that grandfather wasn't his only murder victim.

Excuse me if I'm not terribly concerned with the propaganda addled masses in rural Russia. They're already roiled up.

Reply to this post

Wed May 11, 2022, 01:17 PM

2. why is it a war crime and not simply a crime?

a russian national illegally crossed the border into Ukraine and killed an innocent person. Does war crime charge add more to the sentence?

Reply to this post

Response to AlexSFCA (Reply #2)

Wed May 11, 2022, 01:22 PM

3. The same reason it was a war crime when Japan and Germany did it in the 1930s-1940s

It was a crime during a war.

Reply to this post

Wed May 11, 2022, 01:22 PM

4. I'm with you on this...

Every killed Russian soldier was killed in self defense, Ukraine soldiers were murdered.

Reply to this post

Wed May 11, 2022, 01:45 PM

5. The prosecution would be just but fraught.

If Ukraine prosecutes a Russian soldier - no matter how just the prosecution - Russia will surely prosecute Ukrainians for war crimes - no matter how trumped-up the charges. I'd simply hold the Russian as prisoner of war until the war is over.

Reply to this post

Wed May 11, 2022, 01:56 PM

6. I wake up many mornings wondering if putin is dead yet.

Reply to this post

Response to C Moon (Reply #6)

Wed May 11, 2022, 03:39 PM

8. I wake up hoping he is dead,

that's for sure.

Reply to this post

Tue May 17, 2022, 09:09 AM

10. K&R

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread