HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » New York Times updates Tw...

Thu Apr 7, 2022, 11:25 AM

New York Times updates Twitter policy for reporters

Source: The Hill

The New York Times is updating its policies for how its journalists use Twitter, and is emphasizing that use of the social media platform is optional given the dangers of online harassment.

In a memo to employees on Thursday shared with The Hill, Dean Baquet, the newspaper’s top editor, announced what he called a “reset in our approach,” handing down new guidance dictating that “maintaining a presence on Twitter and social media is now purely optional for Times journalists.”

Baquet wrote that he has been hearing from staffers about “the challenges that Twitter presents,” writing that staffers at the leading national newspaper often “can rely too much on Twitter as a reporting and feedback tool.”

Such feedback, Baquet wrote, can be harmful to the Times’ journalism when “our feeds become echo chambers.”

Read more: https://thehill.com/news/3261482-new-york-times-updates-twitter-policy-for-reporters/

2 replies, 883 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply New York Times updates Twitter policy for reporters (Original post)
TheProle Apr 2022 OP
BumRushDaShow Apr 2022 #1
ificandream Apr 2022 #2

Response to TheProle (Original post)

Thu Apr 7, 2022, 08:44 PM

1. The NYT has a couple (and I mean just a couple)

of good reporters who use Twitter to get a breaking news item out that also includes a link to the full story (where trying to find the actual story on NYT's webpage can become a major challenge at times - especially if the story is buried in one of their subject matter sections ).

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to TheProle (Original post)

Fri Apr 8, 2022, 01:19 PM

2. There's a difference between using Twitter to put items out and getting information

I think that's the point here. The Times doesn't want Twitter posts is revising using it as source material. I would think that if the information comes direct from a confirmed source (such as a comment on the death of a celebrity) that would be ok. It's other information that they're concerned about, as they should be.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread