HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » COVID cases spike even as...

Wed Dec 8, 2021, 08:07 PM

COVID cases spike even as US hits 200M vaccine milestone

Source: AP

By SOPHIA TAREEN and JENNIFER McDERMOTT

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — The number of Americans fully vaccinated against COVID-19 reached 200 million Wednesday amid a dispiriting holiday-season spike in cases and hospitalizations that has hit even New England, one of the most highly inoculated corners of the country.

New cases in the U.S. climbed from an average of nearly 95,000 a day on Nov. 22 to almost 119,000 a day this week, and hospitalizations are up 25% from a month ago. The increases are due almost entirely to the delta variant, though the omicron mutation has been detected in about 20 states and is sure to spread even more.

Deaths are running close to 1,600 a day on average, back up to where they were in October. And the overall U.S. death toll less than two years into the crisis could hit another heartbreaking milestone, 800,000, in a matter of days.

The situation is not as dire as last year’s holiday-season surge, before the public had access to COVID-19 vaccines, but the 60% of the U.S. population that is fully vaccinated has not been enough to prevent hot spots.

Leanna Arcila, 7, is licked by Watson, a therapy dog with the Pawtucket police department, as she receives her COVID-19 vaccination from Dr. Eugenio Fernandez at Nathanael Greene Elementary School in Pawtucket, R.I., Tuesday, Dec. 7, 2021. Even as the U.S. reaches a COVID-19 milestone of roughly 200 million fully-vaccinated people, infections and hospitalizations are spiking, including in highly-vaccinated pockets of the country like New England. (AP Photo/David Goldman)

Read more: https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-health-pandemics-dc8943700b4a65fe1031a7f6ab40026d

11 replies, 1458 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply COVID cases spike even as US hits 200M vaccine milestone (Original post)
Omaha Steve Dec 2021 OP
Evolve Dammit Dec 2021 #1
Wingus Dingus Dec 2021 #2
IronLionZion Dec 2021 #3
Evolve Dammit Dec 2021 #5
wnylib Dec 2021 #8
yaesu Dec 2021 #4
NickB79 Dec 2021 #6
progree Dec 2021 #7
wnylib Dec 2021 #9
StarryNite Dec 2021 #10
MustLoveBeagles Dec 2021 #11

Response to Omaha Steve (Original post)

Wed Dec 8, 2021, 08:11 PM

1. Now that is a cool picture!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Dec 8, 2021, 08:14 PM

2. Going to be a rough Christmas. But love that pupper giving kisses...

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 8, 2021, 08:50 PM

3. It's disappointing if it's getting vaccinated people

I hope it's mild cases that don't end up in hospitalization or death. Looks like 10% of the Vermont ICU patients were vaccinated according to the article. And CDC says it's increasing.

I never stopped masking and don't plan to. Everyone in my gym and office are vaccinated but I still mask indoors there.

Reply to this post

Response to IronLionZion (Reply #3)

Wed Dec 8, 2021, 09:01 PM

5. I've heard up to 25% break through infections. I wear a mask almost everywhere too; 20 months plus.

Reply to this post

Response to Evolve Dammit (Reply #5)

Wed Dec 8, 2021, 09:57 PM

8. I'm in western NY state. The weekly

covid stats get released on Wednesdays. Today's report shows that 75% of the hospitalized covid patients were unvaxxed. That means that 25% of them were vaxxed. My guess is that the 25% are seniors who were vaxxed a long time ago and did not get boosters.

Today's covid stats also show an increased new infection rate, from 11% last week to 12.5% this week. When it's this high BEFORE Christmas, New Year, and the arrival of omicron, I think the mid January numbers will be nightmarish.

I am expecting to see omicron here by Christmas or before. It's moving westward from NYC. A few cases were found in central NY state yesterday. To the north of us, there is an omicron outbreak in Toronto. People travel often between Toronto and western NY.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 8, 2021, 08:59 PM

4. 1600 deaths a day and just think what those numbers would be if we weren't 2/3rds vaxxed nt

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 8, 2021, 09:37 PM

6. Thanksgiving surge, just like expected

We can't fucking learn.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 8, 2021, 09:53 PM

7. US new cases up 72% since Oct 25 low, highest since Sept 25, Deaths: +43% since Nov 29

US new cases up 72% since Oct 25 low, highest since Sept 25

reversing nearly 2 1/2 months of progress. (7 day moving average = 7dma)

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/covid-cases.html
(no paywall no quota. The "Last 90 days" button above the graph is extremely helpful. The map is not to be missed)

Top 16 in Daily new cases per capita, 7 day moving average (includes Tuesday Dec 7 cases)

#1 New Hampshire
#2 Michigan
#3 Rhode Island
#4 Minnesota
#5 Vermont
#6 New Mexico
#7 Indiana
#8 Massachusetts
#9 Ohio
#10 Kansas
#11-#16: Pennsylvania, Iowa, Delaware, W.Va, SoDak, NoDak

==========================

As for what states are changing in 7-day new case averages: For one, the South is increasing again. All of the southern states are increasing. All of them.

The only states that are decreasing: NoDak, Idaho, Maine, Colorado, Wyoming, Alaska, Hawaii, Wisconsin, Montana

Zero states are flat. The other 41 states are rising. For a 41-9-0 record.

Increasing means the 7 day moving average ending December 7 is higher than the 7 day moving average ending November 23 (which is 14 days prior to Dec 7).

Deaths 7dma up 43% from Nov 29 low (they lag increases in cases by a month or a little more, so expect a lot more increase in this number in the weeks ahead).

The world is on fire too -- new cases are up 53% since the October 14 low (7dma).
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/world/covid-cases.html

Reply to this post

Response to progree (Reply #7)

Wed Dec 8, 2021, 10:17 PM

9. In my area, new cases jumped from

350 at the end of October to nearly 900 in today's stat report. Hospitalizations are up, as are deaths. We are averaging about 5 new deaths per week, which seems low for the number of new cases, but there is a lag between infection, hospitalization, and death. We are seeing an increase in deaths among people under 50, but no child deaths so far.

Our stat report breaks down the totals to individual cities, villages, and hamlets. Except for two small cities, this is a very rural area, not highly populated. I am astonished at the high infection numbers listed in villages and hamlets that don't seem large enough to have that many infected people.

Although there is an increase in the number of masks now, the majority of people still don't wear them. The only places that require them are the public library, the hospital, and medical offices. By state law, they are required on public transportation, but that is not enforced.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 9, 2021, 12:56 AM

10. That's a wonderful picture.

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 9, 2021, 01:14 AM

11. I love the photo

Watson and the little girl are adorable.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread