HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Olaf Scholz sworn in as G...

Wed Dec 8, 2021, 08:20 AM

Olaf Scholz sworn in as German chancellor, succeeding Merkel

Source: Axios

Social Democrat Olaf Scholz was sworn in as chancellor of Germany on Wednesday, succeeding Angela Merkel after 16 years and launching a new era of German and European politics.

Why it matters: Scholz, a center-left pragmatist who served as finance minister and vice chancellor in Merkel's last government, will lead Europe's largest economy in a coalition with the environmentalist Greens and pro-business Free Democrats.

The big picture: Climate change, more progressive social and economic policies, and a stronger European Union are the central planks of the Social Democratic platform.

The experienced former mayor of Hamburg is seen as a continuity figure for Merkel's foreign policy, which has been driven in large part by the interests of Germany's export-driven industry.

Read more: https://www.axios.com/olaf-scholz-germany-chancellor-merkel-8a02b982-8e77-4707-8d3f-4c54af423a6b.html

2 replies, 904 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Olaf Scholz sworn in as German chancellor, succeeding Merkel (Original post)
brooklynite Dec 8 OP
LittleGirl Dec 8 #1
IronLionZion Dec 8 #2

Response to brooklynite (Original post)

Wed Dec 8, 2021, 08:40 AM

1. I'm going to miss her steadiness. eom

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to brooklynite (Original post)

Wed Dec 8, 2021, 08:42 AM

2. I thought of Olaf from Frozen

Reply to this post