HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Judge frees Kansas City m...

Tue Nov 23, 2021, 01:07 PM

Judge frees Kansas City man who's spent 43 years behind bars in triple murder

Source: KCTV-5

KANSAS CITY, MO (KCTV) -- A judge has freed Kevin Strickland, a Kansas City man who spent over 40 years in prison for a triple murder he denied having any involvement with.

The ruling is a culmination of months filled with legal procedures and on and off again court hearings.

It took two trials, but Strickland was convicted in the April 25th, 1978 fatal shootings of John Walker, Sherrie Black and Larry Ingram.

The first trial ended in a hung jury when one juror determined Strickland should be acquitted. A second trial was held and he was convicted of one county of capital murder and two counts of second-degree murder.

Proponents of Strickland’s release point to the fact that it was an all-white jury in the second trial that convicted him.

Strickland, who was 18 at the time, told authorities he was at home watching television at the time of the three murders.

Read more: https://www.kctv5.com/news/local_news/judge-frees-kansas-city-man-whos-spent-43-years-behind-bars-in-triple-murder/article_f1a1e1ea-4c6f-11ec-bdf0-e7ada32a8908.html?block_id=991162

=======

more at link.

Kevin Strickland is finally going FREE!

6 replies, 1030 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Judge frees Kansas City man who's spent 43 years behind bars in triple murder (Original post)
lastlib Nov 23 OP
xmas74 Nov 23 #1
lastlib Nov 23 #2
Mr. Ected Nov 23 #3
DFW Nov 23 #4
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin Nov 23 #5
RussBLib Nov 24 #6

Response to lastlib (Original post)

Tue Nov 23, 2021, 01:10 PM

1. I'm so happy for him.

Parson and Schmidt will be so angry.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to xmas74 (Reply #1)

Tue Nov 23, 2021, 01:16 PM

2. Indeed they will!

And that's delish!

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 23, 2021, 02:55 PM

3. I graduated from high school in Kansas City in May of 1978

My God, it's been eons since then. Poor man.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 23, 2021, 03:36 PM

4. I have a cruel, unjst, draconian law I would like to see enacted

If someone is convicted of a murder on flimsy, contrived, or false evidence, and exonerating evidence is ignored, the judge, jury, prosecutor and leading police homicide detective who put the innocent person away, if still alive, shall serve out the exact same sentence unjustly imposed on the innocent person. If that means putting a now-70-year-old person away for thirty years, so be it.

I know, too harsh. But, I'll tell you one thing--there would be a LOT less convictions of innocent people, and a lot less long sentences and few if any executions. It's time that the simple desires of over-eager cops and prosecutors stop being "sufficient to remove reasonable doubt."

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 23, 2021, 08:11 PM

5. Yes but he won't get any sort of compensation from the state of Missouri.

‘I have nothing’: Kevin Strickland will soon be freed, but won’t get a dime from Missouri

Kevin Strickland — who a judge on Tuesday confirmed has suffered Missouri’s longest known wrongful conviction — will not receive any compensation from the state for his more than 42 years behind bars.

Judge James Welsh ordered the release of Strickland, 62, after Jackson County prosecutors, using a new state law, argued he was innocent in a 1978 triple murder in Kansas City and should “not remain in custody a day longer.”

In Missouri, the wrongly convicted are almost always spit out of the system with nothing from the government that imprisoned them. Instead, they rely on nonprofits and other exonerees to get back on their feet, post-conviction lawyers say.

That’s because Missouri’s compensation law only allows for payments to prisoners who prove their innocence through a specific DNA testing statute. That was not the case for Strickland, or most exonerees across America.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nothing-kevin-strickland-free-now-175755907.html

Reply to this post

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Reply #5)

Wed Nov 24, 2021, 12:02 AM

6. that is absurd

what a rigged system. restitution only in the case of DNA evidence? they know a lot of people have been tossed in jail wrongfully and they cover their asses.. smells like GOP

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread