HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Hungary's opposition part...

Sun Oct 17, 2021, 09:18 PM

Hungary's opposition parties unite to challenge far-right leader Orban

Source: Washington Post

BERLIN — Hungary's opposition parties on Sunday banded around a single candidate to try to unseat Prime Minister Viktor Orban, the populist leader accused of chipping away at the country's democracy during more than a decade in power, in next year's election.

Peter Marki-Zay, a conservative small-town mayor who was once considered an outsider, won the second round of the primary with 57 percent of the vote. “We have to move forward together,” he told reporters before the results came in.

“We are not lone fighters,” he continued. “We all have to represent the whole opposition, and not even just them.”

An observant Catholic father of seven, Marki-Zay, 47, presented himself as the stronger of two finalists to run against Orban because he would be challenging him from the right rather than the left. His opponent, Klara Dobrev, from the left-wing Democratic Coalition congratulated him on his win.

Read more: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/hungary-opposition-orban/2021/10/17/e84b4398-2c35-11ec-b17d-985c186de338_story.html

4 replies, 1237 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Hungary's opposition parties unite to challenge far-right leader Orban (Original post)
brooklynite Oct 17 OP
nycbos Oct 17 #1
brooklynite Oct 17 #2
nycbos Oct 18 #4
Comfortably_Numb Oct 18 #3

Response to brooklynite (Original post)

Sun Oct 17, 2021, 09:51 PM

1. A populist lost in the Czech Republic. Hopefully Orban will be beaten too.

I am glad that the Hungarian opposition of all ideologies are uniting for democracy.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to nycbos (Reply #1)

Sun Oct 17, 2021, 09:59 PM

2. Orban's Party has an absolute majority in the Hungarian Parliament...

...and the opposition is fragmented amount 12 Parties.

Reply to this post

Response to brooklynite (Reply #2)

Mon Oct 18, 2021, 08:42 AM

4. I know that

But this article says they are forming a big tent movement for the purposes of beating him.

Reply to this post

Response to brooklynite (Original post)

Mon Oct 18, 2021, 04:38 AM

3. I wonder if CPAC can get their deposit back if their beloved dictator is ousted before their

big Nazifest next year?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread