HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Netflix just fired the or...

Fri Oct 15, 2021, 04:36 PM

Netflix just fired the organizer of the trans employee walkout

Source: The Verge

Netflix has fired a leader of the trans employee resource group who was organizing the upcoming October 20th walkout. The employee, who is Black and currently pregnant, asked not to be named for fear of online harassment. They have been encouraging trans employees and allies to walk out of work in protest of Netflix’s handling of the Dave Chappelle special The Closer. The employee declined to speak to The Verge for this story.

“All these white people are going around talking to the press and speaking publicly on Twitter and the only person who gets fired is the Black person who was quiet the entire time,” says a former employee in an interview with The Verge. “That’s absurd, and just further shows that Black trans people are the ones being targeted in this conversation.”

The employee was terminated on suspicion of leaking metrics to the press related to the Dave Chappelle special. Those metrics — about how much Netflix paid for The Closer and how many people it reached — subsequently ended up in a report on Bloomberg. While the employee had shared the metrics internally, they spoke out against the leaks to colleagues, worried they might hurt the walkout movement.

A Netflix spokesperson confirmed the employees’ dismissal. “We have let go of an employee for sharing confidential, commercially sensitive information outside the company,” they said. “We understand this employee may have been motivated by disappointment and hurt with Netflix, but maintaining a culture of trust and transparency is core to our company.”

Read more: https://www.theverge.com/2021/10/15/22728337/netflix-fires-organizer-trans-employee-walkout-dave-chappelle

61 replies, 6475 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 61 replies Author Time Post
Reply Netflix just fired the organizer of the trans employee walkout (Original post)
Calista241 Oct 15 OP
wcmagumba Oct 15 #1
NullTuples Oct 15 #2
leftyladyfrommo Oct 15 #4
left-of-center2012 Oct 15 #3
TreasonousBastard Oct 15 #8
NullTuples Oct 15 #14
TreasonousBastard Oct 15 #18
NullTuples Oct 15 #19
TreasonousBastard Oct 15 #20
NullTuples Oct 15 #21
obamanut2012 Oct 17 #37
Manifestor_of_Light Oct 16 #31
oldsoftie Oct 17 #36
NullTuples Oct 17 #38
Manifestor_of_Light Oct 17 #40
NullTuples Oct 17 #41
Manifestor_of_Light Oct 17 #45
NullTuples Oct 18 #47
Manifestor_of_Light Oct 18 #48
IngridsLittleAngel Oct 20 #56
Post removed Oct 21 #60
IngridsLittleAngel Oct 20 #50
Griefbird Oct 17 #44
NullTuples Oct 18 #46
Devil Child Oct 17 #43
NullTuples Oct 15 #15
luv2fly Oct 15 #5
FreeState Oct 15 #7
NH Ethylene Oct 15 #10
FreeState Oct 15 #11
NH Ethylene Oct 15 #13
janterry Oct 16 #22
NullTuples Oct 15 #16
NH Ethylene Oct 15 #17
PoliticAverse Oct 16 #30
Devil Child Oct 15 #9
oldsoftie Oct 17 #32
2Gingersnaps Oct 15 #6
questionseverything Oct 15 #12
oldsoftie Oct 17 #34
NurseJackie Oct 16 #23
Loki Liesmith Oct 16 #28
NurseJackie Oct 17 #33
llashram Oct 16 #24
SleeplessinSoCal Oct 16 #25
oldsoftie Oct 17 #35
leftyladyfrommo Oct 20 #57
IngridsLittleAngel Oct 20 #58
SleeplessinSoCal Oct 20 #59
FakeNoose Oct 16 #26
Loki Liesmith Oct 16 #27
Iggo Oct 16 #29
Joinfortmill Oct 17 #39
kellytore Oct 17 #42
Post removed Oct 19 #49
IngridsLittleAngel Oct 20 #51
IngridsLittleAngel Oct 20 #52
catsudon Oct 20 #54
IngridsLittleAngel Oct 20 #55
IngridsLittleAngel Oct 20 #53
Oneironaut Oct 22 #61

Response to Calista241 (Original post)

Fri Oct 15, 2021, 04:53 PM

1. Haven't subscribe to NF for a long time because I didn't watch that many shows,,

I'm glad of that now and don't plan on subscribing in the future, more so because of this story (not knowing all the details but still).

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Oct 15, 2021, 04:56 PM

2. I ended my subscription over NF's handling & especially the CEO's statements.

While on the subject, here is comedian Hannah Gadsby's statement to said CEO, from her Instagram:

"Hey Ted Sarandos! Just a quick note to let you know that I would prefer if you didn't drag my name into your mess. Now I have to deal with even more of the hate and anger that Dave Capelle's fans Like to unleash on me every time Dave gets 20 million dollars to process his emotionally stunted partial world view. You didn't pay me nearly enough to deal with the real world consequences of the hate speech dog whistle you refuse to acknowledge, Ted. Fuck you and your amoral algorithm cult...I do shits with more back bone than you. That's a joke! I definitely didn't cross a line because you just told the world there isn't one"

Reply to this post

Response to NullTuples (Reply #2)

Fri Oct 15, 2021, 05:13 PM

4. I don't know how anyone could hate Hannah.

I always feel like she is actually more a positive spokesperson for the autistic.

I love her.

Reply to this post

Response to left-of-center2012 (Reply #3)

Fri Oct 15, 2021, 05:52 PM

8. My brain did a huge hiccup at the thought of a pregnant trans person.

Reply to this post

Response to TreasonousBastard (Reply #8)

Fri Oct 15, 2021, 06:36 PM

14. Why is that, please? I thought by now...

everyone would be tired of the sensationalizing surrounding some men getting pregnant?

Reply to this post

Response to NullTuples (Reply #14)

Fri Oct 15, 2021, 07:27 PM

18. Here's where it gets crazy. It is, at present, impossible to get pregnant...

without a uterus. Yes, there are experiments with transplanted uteruses, snd at least one healthy birth. But, it will be quite a while before this becomes common. If it ever becomes common. And the equivalent of an etoptic pregnancy is scary dangerous.

There are also babies born with two working sets of sex organs, and the uterus could still be functional after male gender assignment.

While the possibilities are out there, we still tend to think of "trans" as cisgender to something else.

Reply to this post

Response to TreasonousBastard (Reply #18)

Fri Oct 15, 2021, 08:40 PM

19. But...trans men can and do get pregnant.

The most likely assumption, if the employee is trans and pregnant, is that he or they are a trans man or non-binary.

Reply to this post

Response to NullTuples (Reply #19)

Fri Oct 15, 2021, 10:38 PM

20. Yes, if they have a uterus, which some do. But now we have a small...

problem defining "men". Do we mean biologically, or by gender construct?

Reply to this post

Response to TreasonousBastard (Reply #20)

Fri Oct 15, 2021, 10:47 PM

21. I had a feeling this was where you were leading.

Are there many TERFs or GC here on DU?

Reply to this post

Response to NullTuples (Reply #21)

Sun Oct 17, 2021, 07:06 AM

37. Yea

Less than ten years ago, but way too many still.

Reply to this post

Response to TreasonousBastard (Reply #20)

Sat Oct 16, 2021, 11:10 PM

31. Biology facts are not hate speech, although some people think so.

nt

Reply to this post

Response to Manifestor_of_Light (Reply #31)

Sun Oct 17, 2021, 06:11 AM

36. You certainly hit THAT nail on the head.

And it has gotten beyond ridiculous. And it will continue

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 17, 2021, 10:12 AM

38. Saying that trans men are not men is not biology; it's bigotry

Last edited Sun Oct 17, 2021, 04:38 PM - Edit history (17)

"Man" and "Woman" are not biology; they are names we give two imprecise groupings that we invented for our convenience in communication.

Sure, they work good enough 95% of the time - that's why we've kept them around. But with any such construct it is important to remember the divisions we created do not determine biology, they only describe it, and only most of the time.

Did you know there are literally many hundreds of primary and secondary sex dimorphic body parts? They exist in every major system of the body, including the skeleton, skin, teeth, and so on. They only roughly, usually correspond with our usual, traditional categories for sex & gender, but it's mostly good enough for everyday communication and categorizing of people we don't know until they let us know otherwise.

It's true there are no "male brains" or "female brains" but there are many sex dimorphic sites in our brains, and each of them exists in the human population and within each individual on a set of highly overlapping bell curves. We have more than 20 sex dimorphic sites in our brains, and the structure of those tends to match a person's identity, not the social sex/gender assigned at birth. Those include sites such as the body's low-level, hard wired "map" of the body (vs the plastic, high level map that uses the low-level one as a template). They also include the location for a person's sense of Self, that they are separate from not-them and exist in this body, not that one.

However, it's important to note that with each sex-dimorphic site or attribute, a person could be at one end of a statistical male-female continuum for most attributes and yet at the other end for a handful of sites or attributes. They don't necessarily all develop the same way, based on variables such as genetics and developmental hormonal environment. That is how biology works. It's messy, and does not always follow our nice, clean categories as they are descriptive, not prescriptive. There is no perfect template from which we all derive and variances from it be described as fallen or flawed.

If you want a truly universal, accurate definition of "man" or "woman" you must include all the outliers, all the body sites, all the examples to be accurate & not be accused of cherry picking to push an agenda. And the problem there is that each of those sex dimorphic body parts or attributes exists in humanity as somewhat of a pair of highly overlapping bell curves. This is the true biology, the actual science of it, since you brought up the term.

That's not to say that I'm trying to "destroy" those traditional definitions of "man" or "woman", only that as with any discussion of science - or language, for that matter - one must always acknowledge that there are cases outside the ones most convenient for one's current worldview or tradition, lest one be accused of bigotry and rigid-mindedness.

Reply to this post

Response to NullTuples (Reply #38)

Sun Oct 17, 2021, 05:49 PM

40. That's a whole lot of word salad.

If "man" and "woman" are not biology, tell me: What makes a trans woman a woman?

Reply to this post

Response to Manifestor_of_Light (Reply #40)

Sun Oct 17, 2021, 06:25 PM

41. That's the difference between us; I tend to trust other people when it comes to things like that.

The other view expressed, on the other hand, seems bent on defining who and what other people must be for them, so that they can't call into question a particular and very binary worldview.

Reply to this post

Response to NullTuples (Reply #41)

Sun Oct 17, 2021, 09:02 PM

45. I go by what biology says.

What Richard Dawkins and other biologists say.

Reply to this post

Response to Manifestor_of_Light (Reply #45)

Mon Oct 18, 2021, 10:46 AM

47. Ah, yes. Dawkins. Who believes anything that doesn't fit his view must be a choice.

LGBTQ people in his view all choose to be how we are, despite a generation of really solid proof showing otherwise in such fields as neurology, endocrinology, developmental biology & genetics. The sort of proof that becomes by now an entire body of reinforced knowledge crossing disciplines. Sadly, his knowledge in those fields is completely out of touch, out of date, and all too often based on ridiculous ideas like Blank Slate Theory that were all the rage back when he was in school.

Reply to this post

Response to NullTuples (Reply #47)

Mon Oct 18, 2021, 06:17 PM

48. I am not talking about sexual orientation.

I was talking about biological sex. Dawkins asked why, if a woman named Rachel Dolezal said she was Black, and she was white, and why was that ridiculed that she said that?

And if a man named Bruce Jenner had a sex change operation, and was now Caitlin Jenner, and said he was a woman, and why was that accepted?

He said to "discuss" and got dragged for that. Why was there no discussion?

Reply to this post

Response to Manifestor_of_Light (Reply #48)

Wed Oct 20, 2021, 03:01 PM

56. Who are you to cisplain the trans community?

This isn't OANN, no one asked for your discussion.

Reply to this post

Response to IngridsLittleAngel (Reply #56)

Response to Manifestor_of_Light (Reply #45)

Wed Oct 20, 2021, 11:17 AM

50. So does Trump and his Qult

Reply to this post

Response to NullTuples (Reply #38)

Sun Oct 17, 2021, 08:17 PM

44. It's good to know somebody's researching this.

As a non-theist, I still believe there are non physical influences on our lives. Given that (or not) I think that gender identity is a spiritual gift, not a physical consequence. I'll get in trouble for this by those more informed, but it is my sense that the Y chromosome is not the final arbiter of gender; however it either is or isn't present in every cell of an individual, and determines their sex.

Reply to this post

Response to Griefbird (Reply #44)

Mon Oct 18, 2021, 10:38 AM

46. Y Chromosome is nowhere close to being fully determinate

It's been researched for decades. At this point there's an entire body of interlocking knowledge that crosses disciplines such as genetics, endocrinology, fetal development, neurology and so on. As with many such fields, the initial big explosion in knowledge started in the mid- 1990's with the advent of better tools for studying genetics and cell development.

One of the most important genes for instructing a body site to develop toward what we would label "male" or "female" is SRY. SRY normally resides on the Y chromosome, but it doesn't have to do so, and there can be Y chromosomes that don't have it or have non-functioning copy of it, rendering it unable to signal to any of the sex dimorphic sites it normally would. SRY can also get transposed and live on other chromosomes, thus there are people who are XX and yet their body parts developed as what we would and do label male.

Following the SRY gene even further: every sex dimorphic body part develops on its own timetable. And when its time, the SRY gene does nothing more than code for a protein which then alters the way that body part was going to develop. But even that is an oversimplification. See, there's another gene that codes for a protein that blocks the SRY protein from signaling that one body site. And then, yet another that blocks the blocker. Only if all that goes as expected for that one body part does it get the signal to start developing as what we would later label "male". And it's not a light switch, either; each part develops on a spectrum (many, really). Thus there are say, finger bones that end up giving someone "manly" hands or "feminine" hands regardless of who they're attached to.

That's just one of the genes involved, and one of many hundreds of sex dimorphic parts or sites in the body.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 17, 2021, 08:03 PM

43. +1 Manifestor_of_Light n/t

Reply to this post

Response to left-of-center2012 (Reply #3)

Fri Oct 15, 2021, 06:37 PM

15. Said employee only circulated the stats within the company

- which may not be against company policy.

Someone else, it would appear, leaked them to the press.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 15, 2021, 05:23 PM

5. Or a less sensationalistic title for the article could have been...

Netflix employee violates company policy and is fired.

Reply to this post

Response to luv2fly (Reply #5)

Fri Oct 15, 2021, 05:40 PM

7. Can you point to Netflix's policy against protesting by employees?

I cant seem to find it - I want to pass it along to the DOJ because this would make for a great case.

Reply to this post

Response to FreeState (Reply #7)

Fri Oct 15, 2021, 05:57 PM

10. They likely have a policy against leaking confidential info however.

Which is what they said they fired her for.

No idea if this was a justified firing or not. There is just not enough background info.

Reply to this post

Response to NH Ethylene (Reply #10)

Fri Oct 15, 2021, 05:59 PM

11. They do have that but I cant see where she did leak any information? n/t

Reply to this post

Response to FreeState (Reply #11)

Fri Oct 15, 2021, 06:23 PM

13. They say - she says.

The employee was terminated on suspicion of leaking metrics to the press related to the Dave Chappelle special. Those metrics — about how much Netflix paid for The Closer and how many people it reached — subsequently ended up in a report on Bloomberg. While the employee had shared the metrics internally, they spoke out against the leaks to colleagues, worried they might hurt the walkout movement.

Who knows what actually happened? She may have been fired because she was the organizer. That has a lot of historical precedent.

Reply to this post

Response to FreeState (Reply #11)

Sat Oct 16, 2021, 07:30 AM

22. They admitted that they did this

The statement said the information was referenced in a Bloomberg news article, which reported that Netflix spent $24.1 million on “The Closer,” which first aired last week. The article also mentioned the lower budgets for a 2019 Chapelle special, a Bo Burnham special and the nine-episode hit “Squid Game.”

Netflix said a review of its internal access logs pinpointed the information to a single person, who “admitted that they downloaded and shared sensitive company information externally.”

Reply to this post

Response to NH Ethylene (Reply #10)

Fri Oct 15, 2021, 06:40 PM

16. Him, or more likely and correctly at this point, they, please

It's highly likely that as the employee is trans and pregnant, they prefer he or they. They is the safer choice as it is also gender neutral.

Reply to this post

Response to NullTuples (Reply #16)

Fri Oct 15, 2021, 07:19 PM

17. Eep! My bad.

My mind auto-filled in 'she' after seeing the word 'pregnant'. I think I need a few new brain circuits, and to shut off auto-pilot in the meantime.

I see the article used 'they'.

Thank-you for the kind reminder.

Reply to this post

Response to NullTuples (Reply #16)

Sat Oct 16, 2021, 11:00 PM

30. The safest choice is to avoid pronouns entirely. For this example....

Instead of:
Which is what they said they fired her for.
or
Which is what they said they fired them for.

Pronoun avoiding:
Which is what Netflix said the employee was fired for.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 15, 2021, 05:55 PM

9. But that normal title doesnt generate clicks!!!!

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 17, 2021, 06:04 AM

32. But then they wouldnt get as many 'clicks" !!

So many times the headlines are just a piece of the whole story

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 15, 2021, 05:27 PM

6. The job I retired from, like literally fell over the finish line,

"Loyalty to WE, but thee? BWAH HA HA HA! You're kidding right?" To each their own, but I find Chappelle pretty misogynist as well, but hey, kick down on those marginalized communities. Some people say all is fair when comedy is the excuse.

Reply to this post

Response to 2Gingersnaps (Reply #6)

Fri Oct 15, 2021, 06:17 PM

12. He is a hater

But so is joy reid and she gets by with it

Reply to this post

Response to 2Gingersnaps (Reply #6)

Sun Oct 17, 2021, 06:06 AM

34. Chapelle digs at everyone. He's funny.

He's insulted ME before. Big deal. Everyone knows his humor & if one doesnt like it, then dont watch it. People didnt like Don Rickles or Eddie Murphy either. But a lot of them DID

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 16, 2021, 10:12 AM

23. We "down-voted" it without even watching. 👎

I'm sure it won't make a bit of difference... but it felt good doing it.

Reply to this post

Response to NurseJackie (Reply #23)

Sat Oct 16, 2021, 08:21 PM

28. How heroic

Reply to this post

Response to Loki Liesmith (Reply #28)

Sun Oct 17, 2021, 06:05 AM

33. Easy-peasy.

How heroic
Lulz. Why bother?

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 16, 2021, 11:44 AM

24. I would like to know

the racial makeup of the people who made the decision to fire this employee. One who has a conscience I believe and was looking for equitable corporate accountability in the treatment of trans employees? I just called Netflix. No one seems to know anything of this matter.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 16, 2021, 12:26 PM

25. I watched Chappelle's "Closer".

Never thought about the backlash as it is his perspective and he specifically gave kudos to the LGBTQ community for its success, which he noted far outpaced BLM.

I think the anger is based on not having a rational argument for his statements about bathroom privileges and the successes of the LGBTQ community.

His emotional tribute to Daphne Dorman is what I took away from "Closer".

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10084515/Daphne-Dorman-trans-woman-bullied-death-defending-Dave-Chappelle.html

Let Dave be Dave. And carry on.

Reply to this post

Response to SleeplessinSoCal (Reply #25)

Sun Oct 17, 2021, 06:08 AM

35. These days, that just cant happen. Axes must be ground.

Comedy is different things to different people. Sometimes it can be offensive to those who take offense. And right now some people will take offense at a light breeze

Reply to this post

Response to SleeplessinSoCal (Reply #25)

Wed Oct 20, 2021, 03:54 PM

57. That's how I feel, too.

Comics are always walking a thin line. There are some I don't care for and I just don't watch them.

I like Dave Chapelle . That doesn't mean I agree with him all the time. He has a right to his opinions.

Reply to this post

Response to leftyladyfrommo (Reply #57)

Wed Oct 20, 2021, 04:26 PM

58. So do we...

He can fuck right off.. Oh. Wait.. Do WE have the right to our opinion?

Reply to this post

Response to leftyladyfrommo (Reply #57)

Wed Oct 20, 2021, 05:01 PM

59. When my comedy faves disagree, I feel caught in the middle.

I'd like Dave and Jon Lovett to sit down and talk about it.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 16, 2021, 12:59 PM

26. Dave Chappelle doesn't really have a political axe to grind

OK, I get it. Not everyone thinks he's funny. Even among the Netflix subscribers, he's not for everybody. But don't we believe in the freedom of speech? Don't we believe that Chappelle has a right to speak freely, and to pursue a career as a successful stand-up comedian? The things he says about the gay community aren't exactly controversial, they're just his own opinions said in a unique smart/funny way.

If I don't like Dave Chappelle, I don't have to watch the video. BUT when a certain Netflix employee has a bee up his butt over one video (out of the 100 thousands that are perfectly fine), maybe he's in the wrong field.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 16, 2021, 08:20 PM

27. For leaking proprietary company information

Finished it for you.

Reply to this post

Sat Oct 16, 2021, 10:19 PM

29. ...for leaking confidential information.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 17, 2021, 07:15 PM

42. I watched the Closer and Sticks and Stones

Chappelle is a true comedy genius. If you don't find him funny then watch something else.

Reply to this post

Response to Post removed (Reply #49)

Response to Post removed (Reply #49)

Wed Oct 20, 2021, 11:26 AM

52. So is Laura Ingraham

Conglaturation.

Reply to this post

Response to IngridsLittleAngel (Reply #52)

Wed Oct 20, 2021, 12:14 PM

54. donald trump loves to breath air

does that mean i should stop breathing just to spite him?

BLM supports chapelle even when he jokes about them so you have that.

another takes is i have lots of lesbian friends so I tend to side with them (not as far as their TERF belief but close)

Reply to this post

Response to catsudon (Reply #54)

Wed Oct 20, 2021, 12:20 PM

55. A catsudon by any other name...

Is still a transphobe.

Reply to this post

Wed Oct 20, 2021, 11:29 AM

53. Not that it matters, because trans people are "beyond people"... So Chappelle and Netflix say.

Melissa Dahn shared some thoughts from the roommate of the late Daphne Dorman on Twitter the other day - urging people to boycott Chappelle's "special", saying Netflix needs to yank it, and making it clear Chappelle was not a friend (or a pretty poor one) who seemed to repeatedly tell people what a "shit" comedienne Daphne was, how angry they are over Chappelle trying to blame the transgender community for Daphne's suicide, and is absolutely irate over Chappelle saying "I knew your father and he was a wonderful woman."

The last part of that is what really sticks out. People all over the internet - including DU - have been trying to defend Chappelle and tell the LGBTQ community to "stifle ourselves", that his latest special of punching-down is so magical and funny, and the end "had them in tears." Well, congratulations to them. They fell for it. They bought Chappelle's "my one trans friend" story - hook, line and sinker. And even then, Chappelle still punched down on his "friend" by calling her "he" and "father". Some friend - he used Daphne as a human shield to protect himself from criticism while attacking hers, attacking others like her, and even misgendering her.

This wasn't comedy. This was abuse. Robin Williams and George Carlin were funny because they punched up. There's nothing "edgy" about punching down, especially on people already hurting enough. Shame on Chappelle, shame on anyone defending this shit.

Reply to this post

Fri Oct 22, 2021, 08:40 AM

61. Im trans and don't care.

What did they want to happen, exactly? Dave Chapelle to be fired and censored? This is dumb.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread