HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Brisbane is awarded the 2...

Wed Jul 21, 2021, 04:43 AM

Brisbane is awarded the 2032 Summer Games

Source: New York Times

TOKYO — As the Summer Olympics stumbled to an unsteady start on Wednesday, the International Olympic Committee took a big step toward crystallizing its long-term future by voting to officially select Brisbane, Australia, as host of the Summer Games in 2032. Australia is now set to become a three-time Olympic host. It previously held the Games in Melbourne in 1956 and in Sydney in 2000. The I.O.C. now has the next three Summer Games mapped out: the 2024 Olympics will take place in Paris, while the 2028 Games will be in Los Angeles.

Brisbane was the first city to win a summer bid under a new selection process that was overhauled in 2019 to discourage the organization from pitting cities against one another in expensive bidding wars. The old bidding process had become increasingly untenable. Candidates frequently pulled out of contention after encountering local opposition. Corruption was a persistent issue. “This revolution of the bidding process is an essential part of our good governance reforms,” Thomas Bach, the president of the I.O.C., said in an interview before the Games. “With this new process, it’s much less prone to all this kind of lobbying and also corruption that obviously we saw in the past.”

The candidates that did make it through the old process were often flawed. For the 2022 Winter Games, for instance, candidate cities from Germany, Norway, Sweden, Poland and Switzerland, among others, canceled their bids because of a lack of support at home. The last two bids remaining came from Beijing and Almaty, Kazakhstan — two places known for human rights issues. Beijing won the vote and the I.O.C. has since been peppered with criticism from human rights activists.

As part of the new process installed two years ago, the I.O.C. created two panels to review potential cities and make recommendations to the organization’s board. The ultimate selection of Brisbane, then, had felt all but assured since February, when the committee revealed the city was its “preferred partner,” thus initiating discussions about final details. The vote carried out by the I.O.C.’s membership on Wednesday was seen largely as a formality.

Read more: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/21/sports/olympics/brisbane-2032-summer-games.html

13 replies, 1124 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to BumRushDaShow (Original post)

Wed Jul 21, 2021, 05:29 AM

1. I'm betting there wont be a summer games in 2032

Climate change will make sure of that

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Javaman (Reply #1)

Wed Jul 21, 2021, 05:58 AM

2. Well the timing of the "summer games" (based on the northern hemisphere) would be winter time there

so it's possible they wouldn't be impacted by the insane wildfires that they get during their "summers".

Reply to this post

Response to BumRushDaShow (Reply #2)

Wed Jul 21, 2021, 06:41 AM

3. High 60's, low 70's in July.

We will see what the next decade does to the planet.
Maybe we’ll get our collective act together and actually do something instead of arguing about whether a climate crisis actually exists.

Reply to this post

Response to BumRushDaShow (Reply #2)

Thu Jul 22, 2021, 01:46 AM

6. 2000 Sydney Games were held in late September if I remember right.

Right around the beginning of Southern Hemisphere spring.

Reply to this post

Response to roamer65 (Reply #6)

Thu Jul 22, 2021, 04:28 AM

7. I wouldn't be surprised if they use the same timing for Brisbane

when the time comes. And since the country is "relatively close" to the equator, their day/night hours don't have the type of day/night variances during a year that many other areas around the world have.

Reply to this post

Response to roamer65 (Reply #6)

Sat Jul 31, 2021, 02:43 PM

9. The 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney were held from September 15 to October 1.

I checked the dates on Wikipedia.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 21, 2021, 06:43 AM

4. Oh to be in Brisbane when the athletes are in bloom...

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 21, 2021, 05:29 PM

5. Looking to the year 2032 . . .

. . . Is very optimistic given everything happening in the world. I bought a 2021 calendar at the Dollar Store in autumn 2020 and wondered if I was wasting my money.

Turns out, I sort of did. Not because the idiots managed to end the world in 2020, but because the first six months of this year were so tensed and strained that I completely forgot to dig out the calendar.

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 22, 2021, 07:17 AM

8. The whole Olympics bids and very high wasteful spending with comparatively lower returns is a sham

there should be just 2 cities using the same venues for the Winter & Summer events.

Reply to this post

Mon Aug 2, 2021, 12:52 PM

10. Go to Continental hosting and scatter the venues and rotate

Costs would drop significantly...

Reply to this post

Mon Aug 2, 2021, 12:55 PM

11. i feel that the games should go back to grece pernamantly. i have felt that way for awhile now.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 4, 2021, 01:35 AM

12. I would love to see Berlin get it again

They've got most of the venues from the last one they held, and they won't need renovation - they're all in use. For sports like basketball and gymnastics the International Congress Center is near Olympiastadion and it's huge. They'd have to build an Olympic Village but that's all right; Berlin is in constant need of more housing. AND...they could have one of Jesse Owens' descendants carry the torch into the stadium.

Reply to this post

Response to jmowreader (Reply #12)

Wed Aug 4, 2021, 05:19 AM

13. I think a number of municipalties

have started shying away from hosting due to other "hidden" costs (even if they have the venues). And in Germany's case (and Berlin the government seat), it will take a long time for the country to come to grips with the devastating flooding they just the past month had and quite a bit of resources are going to need to be directed toward improvements to their infrastructure and emergency systems.

If they had to, they might do better with a Winter Olympics given their mountainous areas and proximity to the types of towns with facilities that would excel for winter sports.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread