HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Republican congressman wa...

Fri Jun 25, 2021, 02:05 AM

Republican congressman warns 'more people will die' over false claims of 2020 election fraud after c

Source: Business Insider

Republican congressman warns 'more people will die' over false claims of 2020 election fraud after call for executions airs on pro-Trump media outlet
[email protected] (Charles Davis) 8 hrs ago

False claims of systemic fraud in the 2020 election will result in blood being spilled, a Republican congressman warned Thursday.

Earlier in the week, the far-right One America News Network aired a segment in which a host erroneously claimed there were people involved in a conspiracy related to the 2020 election. "What happens to them? Well, in the past, America had a very good solution for dealing with such traitors: executions."

. . .

Rep. Peter Meijer, a Michigan Republican who was first elected to the US Congress in 2020, denounced that rhetoric as obscene and dangerous.

"Let me be clear: more people will die [because] of craven propaganda like this," Meijer posted on Twitter. "When there are no arrests [because] this is all a lie," those who believe debunked allegations the election was stolen from ex-President Donald Trump "will take matters into their own hands."

Read more: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/republican-congressman-warns-more-people-will-die-over-false-claims-of-2020-election-fraud-after-call-for-executions-airs-on-pro-trump-media-outlet/ar-AALphi7?li=BBnb7Kz

Rep. Peter Meijer

17 replies, 3054 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 17 replies Author Time Post
Reply Republican congressman warns 'more people will die' over false claims of 2020 election fraud after c (Original post)
Judi Lynn Jun 25 OP
OnDoutside Jun 25 #1
monkeyman1 Jun 25 #2
Duppers Jun 25 #3
femmedem Jun 25 #5
Duppers Jun 25 #12
femmedem Jun 25 #4
monkeyman1 Jun 25 #6
femmedem Jun 25 #7
Dave in VA Jun 25 #8
KY_EnviroGuy Jun 25 #9
spike jones Jun 25 #11
bucolic_frolic Jun 25 #10
ancianita Jun 25 #15
bucolic_frolic Jun 25 #16
ancianita Jun 25 #17
Johnny2X2X Jun 25 #13
catrose Jun 25 #14

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Fri Jun 25, 2021, 02:18 AM

1. But would he still vote against the Voting rights act?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to monkeyman1 (Reply #2)

Fri Jun 25, 2021, 03:58 AM

3. Huh?

Wasn't he warning about other tRump followers? Am I reading this wrong?

Reply to this post

Response to Duppers (Reply #3)

Fri Jun 25, 2021, 05:14 AM

5. You read it correctly.

I believe the person you are responding to misunderstood the OP. Rep. Meijer is also one of the few Republicans in Congress who voted to impeach Trump.

Reply to this post

Response to femmedem (Reply #5)

Fri Jun 25, 2021, 09:10 AM

12. Thank you!

👍

Reply to this post

Response to monkeyman1 (Reply #2)

Fri Jun 25, 2021, 05:13 AM

4. Rep. Meijer is one of the few Rs who voted to impeach Trump.

He got censured for his impeachment vote by his local Republican Party. Maybe you misunderstood the OP? He is speaking out against the big lie and stating that continuing to push the big lie will get people killed.
https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2021/02/congressman-peter-meijer-censured-by-calhoun-barry-county-gop-for-trump-impeachment-vote.html

Reply to this post

Response to femmedem (Reply #4)

Fri Jun 25, 2021, 05:21 AM

6. to people - my screw up ! all this bull shit i got confused & totally my goof!!!

Reply to this post

Response to monkeyman1 (Reply #6)

Fri Jun 25, 2021, 06:11 AM

7. It happens to everyone.

I hope you don't stress about it. And it takes a big person to admit a mistake.

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 25, 2021, 06:14 AM

8. Brain fart

Happens to me all the time!

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 25, 2021, 06:20 AM

9. Not to worry - These days keep everyone's head spinning, LOL.

I will say that Rethug deserves at least a "C" for courage. America needs more like him.

KY.........

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 25, 2021, 09:07 AM

11. When it happens to me, I always blame it on the weed. n/t

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 25, 2021, 07:55 AM

10. FRAUD is the way to go after this

Free speech cannot be allowed to give room and oxygen to fraud in the public arena. We shut down frauds of marketing, medicine, contract, product manufacture. We litigate libel and slander. We cannot create panic by fraud without consequence. Even deception to uphold law and sovereignty - false flags, stings, interrogation lies - are not well regarded by the public even if they are held to be legal. They still are calculated and specific and have a worthwhile objective.

I fail to understand why fraud and its twin hoaxes are allowed to wander at will and we can do nothing about it.

Reply to this post

Response to bucolic_frolic (Reply #10)

Fri Jun 25, 2021, 12:36 PM

15. I'm not clear on its twin hoaxes. Are they libel and slander? tia

Reply to this post

Response to ancianita (Reply #15)

Fri Jun 25, 2021, 01:42 PM

16. Did I get caught being imprecise again?

I meant fraud - and its twin - hoaxes. Fraud and hoax being the 2 of them. I used bad wording, but I suppose it's better than using its other meaning - bad words!

Reply to this post

Response to bucolic_frolic (Reply #16)

Fri Jun 25, 2021, 01:47 PM

17. Ah, I see! Thanks, and sorry I didn't read it that way.

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 25, 2021, 09:18 AM

13. He's my Congress person

So far he's been on the right side of history in matters of Democracy. He still ran on supporting Trump policies.

His opponent would have been fantastic.

This is Justin Amash's seat, so a pretty Conservative district.

Meijer is from the Meijer family who owns grocery stores throughout the Miidwest, his grandfather, Fed Meijer, was an amazing person and legendary philanthropist. Fred Meijer ended up a billionaire because the stock he owned in the company he started ended up being worth a billion dollars. But you wouldn't know it, he and his wife lived in the same house for 40 years because although they could afford a bigger and more extravagant home, she didn't want to try to transplant her award winning rose bushes. Don't get me wrong, it's a really nice home, worth maybe $1 Million today, but he was worth $1.5 Billion at one time and they could have afforded a giant compound.

Fred was a great supporter of the arts, and although many buildings and centers around West Michigan do bare his name, there are many times more buildings that he paid for that don't bare his name, he gave quietly most of the time, unlike the Amway families here who would do ad campaigns every time they chipped in a few million for some wing in a hospital which they always demanded their name be on. When he got old, Fred's favorite thing to do was to hop in his own car and drive to a random Meijer store and greet people as they walked in. He loved striking up conversations with shoppers and their children who had no idea that he was the man whose name was on the store. He would get to know the people bagging groceries and stocking shelves by name too and really took and genuine interest in their lives.

Pete Meijer comes from good stock.

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 25, 2021, 10:56 AM

14. Sadly, we've learned that R response to "more people will die" is *yawn*

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread