HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Garland says Justice Depa...

Mon Jun 14, 2021, 12:39 PM

Garland says Justice Department will strengthen policies for obtaining lawmakers' records

Source: Washington Post

Attorney General Merrick Garland said Monday that the Justice Department would beef up its policies for obtaining lawmakers’ records and vowed “strict accountability” for officials who let politics affect their work, issuing a lengthy statement amid a metastasizing controversy over department efforts during the Trump administration to obtain the data of congressmen, journalists and even the White House counsel.

Garland said in the statement that he had directed his deputy attorney general, Lisa Monaco, to “evaluate and strengthen the department’s existing policies and procedures for obtaining records of the Legislative branch,” and he noted that she was “already working on surfacing potentially problematic matters deserving high-level review.”

“As I stated during my confirmation hearing, political or other improper considerations must play no role in any investigative or prosecutorial decisions,” Garland said in the statement. “These principles that have long been held as sacrosanct by the DOJ career workforce will be vigorously guarded on my watch, and any failure to live up to them will be met with strict accountability. There are important questions that must be resolved in connection with an effort by the department to obtain records related to Members of Congress and Congressional staff.”

In recent weeks, the department has notified current and former Washington Post, CNN and New York Times reporters that their phone and email records had secretly been seized as part of moves that began in the Trump administration.

Read more: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/garland-says-justice-department-will-strengthen-policies-for-obtaining-lawmakers-records/ar-AAL1SnY

7 replies, 985 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Garland says Justice Department will strengthen policies for obtaining lawmakers' records (Original post)
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin Jun 14 OP
nykym Jun 14 #1
FSogol Jun 14 #2
Me. Jun 14 #5
Lonestarblue Jun 14 #3
drray23 Jun 14 #4
SharonClark Jun 14 #6
Historic NY Jun 14 #7

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Original post)

Mon Jun 14, 2021, 12:48 PM

1. Whatever the DOJ does needs to be made

BARR proof

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Jun 14, 2021, 12:54 PM

2. Garland says Justice Department will close the barn door after the cow got out.

Um, thanks, I guess. Why not remove the law breakers at DOJ too?

Reply to this post

Response to FSogol (Reply #2)

Mon Jun 14, 2021, 02:31 PM

5. +1

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 14, 2021, 12:54 PM

3. And while you're at it, get rid of the opinion that a sitting president can't be indicted.

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 14, 2021, 02:13 PM

4. policies are useless if thats not backed by force of law

The next time a Trump like goon is in charge, they can just again ignore policies. We will be told like we are now that it was not illegal, just against policy.

Reply to this post

Response to drray23 (Reply #4)

Mon Jun 14, 2021, 04:15 PM

6. Well said.

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 14, 2021, 04:21 PM

7. Obviously its must be easier than a FISA warrant.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread