HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » A woman is dead after a c...

Mon Jun 14, 2021, 08:51 AM

A woman is dead after a car drove through a crowd of protesters in Minneapolis, police say

Source: CNN

By Tina Burnside, Alta Spells and Hollie Silverman,

(CNN)A person drove into a group of protesters in Minneapolis early Monday, killing one woman and injuring another person, authorities said.

A suspect is in custody after police say they saw the vehicle on video surveillance drive into the protesters just after midnight. The crowd was protesting an officer-involved shooting from a few weeks ago that did not involve MPD, John Elder, spokesperson for Minneapolis Police, told CNN.

The protest where the deadly crash happened Monday occurred in the same area where protesters gathered more than a week ago over the killing of 32-year-old Winston Smith, a Black man killed by law enforcement officers who were executing a warrant. The protests come as the city continues to grapple with last year's killing of George Floyd during his arrest in Minneapolis, and with the murder conviction in that case of former police officer Derek Chauvin.

While a motive for Monday's incident is unknown, the preliminary investigation indicates drugs or alcohol may have been a factor in the crash, according to a news release from MPD.

An adult female has died as a result of injuries she sustained after a car drove through a crowd of protesters in the Uptown area of Minneapolis early Monday morning, according to a news release from the Minneapolis Police Department.

Read more: https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/14/us/minneapolis-protester-killed/index.html

28 replies, 4863 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 28 replies Author Time Post
Reply A woman is dead after a car drove through a crowd of protesters in Minneapolis, police say (Original post)
Omaha Steve Jun 14 OP
ck4829 Jun 14 #1
LiberalLoner Jun 14 #2
oldsoftie Jun 14 #9
Angrybob2001 Jun 14 #3
sarisataka Jun 14 #5
Hugh_Lebowski Jun 14 #19
ExTex Jun 14 #16
90-percent Jun 14 #4
MadLinguist Jun 14 #8
azureblue Jun 14 #13
LiberatedUSA Jun 14 #20
Dr. Strange Jun 15 #27
MissMillie Jun 14 #6
oldsoftie Jun 14 #7
llashram Jun 14 #10
EX500rider Jun 14 #11
LetMyPeopleVote Jun 14 #12
geardaddy Jun 14 #14
LudwigPastorius Jun 14 #15
apnu Jun 14 #17
VGNonly Jun 14 #18
Hugh_Lebowski Jun 14 #21
VGNonly Jun 14 #22
BobTheSubgenius Jun 14 #25
samsingh Jun 14 #23
twin_ghost Jun 14 #24
cadoman Jun 15 #26
sarisataka Jun 16 #28

Response to Omaha Steve (Original post)

Mon Jun 14, 2021, 09:11 AM

1. Not "terrorism", huh? That tells you something right off the bat.

Last edited Tue Jun 29, 2021, 12:17 PM - Edit history (1)

Critical Race Theory

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to ck4829 (Reply #1)

Mon Jun 14, 2021, 09:19 AM

2. Yeah, it was just a "crash." Like a fender bender, you know. It's not like the driver

Committed terrorism by deliberately trying to drive over the protestors, like right wing media told him repeatedly to do to prove he was a patriot.

And gee, in a whole bunch of states it’s now legal to drive over and kill people if you think they might be protestors. Or if they are just walking down the sidewalk and look like they might possibly vote for Democrats.

And notice the wording - a car drove through them - not a man driving a car, just the car. Just a bad car like the movie “Christine.”

Reply to this post

Response to LiberalLoner (Reply #2)

Mon Jun 14, 2021, 10:32 AM

9. Here's a more detailed article from later.

https://news.yahoo.com/driver-hits-protesters-uptown-killing-114300003.html
It was a man, taken from the car & roughed up. Heard saying "I didnt mean to" as he was taken to the cops

Reply to this post

Response to ck4829 (Reply #1)

Mon Jun 14, 2021, 09:25 AM

3. At this time of night, less inclined to assume ill intent

At this time of night I'm more inclined to believe the impaired/accidental over purposeful and swept under the rug by authorities. At this point its easy to assign ill intent but sometimes bad things happen on accident. I, personally am assuming accident and will wait for more information. If this had happened at 11 am rather than 11pm then I would assume the opposite.

Reply to this post

Response to Angrybob2001 (Reply #3)

Mon Jun 14, 2021, 09:29 AM

5. Per the article-

the preliminary investigation indicates drugs or alcohol may have been a factor in the crash

IMO those are enhancements to the crime though I believe many view such as mitigating factors.

Reply to this post

Response to sarisataka (Reply #5)

Mon Jun 14, 2021, 01:44 PM

19. Not mitigating as to severity of crime, but perhaps in assessment of intent (nt)

Reply to this post

Response to Angrybob2001 (Reply #3)

Mon Jun 14, 2021, 09:27 AM

4. question

isn't this kind of thing now perfectly legal in socially retarded states like florida, georgia, texas and arizona? sort of a "stand your ground" law for drivers "threatened" by protesters? Or protesters blocking traffic?

-90% jimmy

Reply to this post

Response to 90-percent (Reply #4)

Mon Jun 14, 2021, 10:26 AM

8. there are states that have enacted immunty laws

for drivers hitting protestors. Tennessee only narrowly getting its version signed into law 2 months ago.
GOPers are out for blood.

Reply to this post

Response to MadLinguist (Reply #8)

Mon Jun 14, 2021, 12:10 PM

13. until

the immunity laws run into the stand your ground laws. The GOP is too dumb to think their laws can be used against them. The Proud "Buoys" march armed, and the cops let them. So it won't be long before the so called left wing marchers start carrying, and shooting anyone who tries to run them over.

Reply to this post

Response to azureblue (Reply #13)

Mon Jun 14, 2021, 01:54 PM

20. I doubt it.

I thought right wingers would catch on that people, not thinking things through, felt they could walk up to them and take their MAGA hats, would start carrying and just wait for someone on the left to grab their hat so they could scream “I fear for my life!” and shoot them; sort of a justifiable homicide set up preplanned murder.

But I guess the attacking people for wearing a MAGA hat thing was blown out of proportion, because I didn’t see any headlines that read “MAGA ass thinks they are a hero by shooting someone for stealing their hat.”

I doubt this will happen much and I highly doubt people on the left are going to bring guns to get into a shoot out with drivers.

Also bare in mind, if a protester or group of them do anything to make the driver think they are about to get surrounded and pulled out of the vehicle, then the driver is in the right to flee and shooting them for fleeing will add to the shooter’s sentence.

This is extremely touchy, fine line shit. Especially depending on the state you live in.

All around, street protesting and angry drivers trying to get somewhere, along with drivers that are panicky about seeing a large group of protesters in the street, is a bad combination no matter who’s side you are on. Throw in racist gun nut looking for a trouble, and you’ll never see me at any large protest gathering regardless of the cause or side I am on. If I feel I need a gun to go somewhere, I don’t go there.

Reply to this post

Response to 90-percent (Reply #4)

Tue Jun 15, 2021, 10:30 AM

27. Nope.

He didn't have a license to drive and he was driving under the influence. That's still going to be illegal everywhere.
https://heavy.com/news/nicholas-kraus/

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 14, 2021, 09:37 AM

6. "a factor in the crash"????

I'm thinking it should read, "a factor in the attack."

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 14, 2021, 10:25 AM

7. Why do people still drive impaired? Are they just alone?

If the reports are correct & the driver was drunk/high, didnt he/she have ANYONE around to say "Hey, you shouldnt drive"? Thats kind of a big thing these days compared to decades ago.
Throw the book at 'em.

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 14, 2021, 11:12 AM

10. drugs or alcohol

possible. Given the charged political atmosphere in America at this time, I do highly doubt those were the cause. Trumpers are mean killers. I remember the Charlottesville white supremacy riot and the death/murder of Ms. Heather Heyer in 2017. And the trumpiss statement on those murderers. Don't those clowns know? White supremacy WILL NEVER work here in America. Didn't in the past nor will it in the present day and definitely not in the future.

Hundreds of thousands dead with the white supremacist's first try at subjugating non-whites. African slaves specifically.

From Ms. Heyer to the present day, there have been casualties of war. When will the racist idiots understand? You are not better than any other human being on this planet.

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 14, 2021, 11:26 AM

11. I'm going to guess blocking streets after midnight is going to be more dangerous than doing daylight

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 14, 2021, 12:07 PM

12. TFG supporters see nothing wrong with using their vehicles to hurt protesters

TFG supporters are all assholes

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 14, 2021, 12:16 PM

14. This happened two blocks from our condo

Yesterday afternoon we saw the initial protest to block the streets and decided to steer clear of the area.

According to our local CBS affiliate, some guy was firing a gun and throwing things at drivers early this morning:

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2021/06/14/woman-killed-after-driver-plows-into-protesters-in-uptown/

Early Monday morning, someone fired a gun near the scene of the crash in an apparent attempt to keep motorists away from the intersection. Police responded and arrested that person, who was also throwing objects at drivers. A handful of other people were also at the scene shortly after sunrise, trying to block the intersection from motorists on their morning commute.

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 14, 2021, 12:55 PM

15. "drugs or alcohol may have been a factor in the crash"

It could still be a hate crime, just one perpetrated by a drunken white supremacist.

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 14, 2021, 01:07 PM

17. The GOP will say: The right to free assembly is trumped by a 12 AM Taco Bell run.

Wait for it.

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 14, 2021, 01:30 PM

18. My crazy trumpite neighbor

thinks it's ok to mow somebody over. He also thinks it's ok to shoot somebody if they give them the "evil eye". He also believes that a weather station in Alaska controls global warning.

Reply to this post

Response to VGNonly (Reply #18)

Mon Jun 14, 2021, 02:01 PM

21. Is it the HAARP station?

He's right, that place definitely controls the weather.

Also peoples minds.

I seen it on youtube

Reply to this post

Response to Hugh_Lebowski (Reply #21)

Mon Jun 14, 2021, 02:17 PM

22. HAARP is the one.

He also believes that nukes can stop hurricanes and the Grand Canyon is only about 500 years old.

Reply to this post

Response to VGNonly (Reply #22)

Mon Jun 14, 2021, 07:34 PM

25. IF the biblical flood didn't happen, that means the Grand Canyon was formed by...

the Colorado River flowing uphill. So, yeah.

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 14, 2021, 02:18 PM

23. in florida this suspect would be a hero to the state government

Reply to this post

Mon Jun 14, 2021, 03:28 PM

24. This is a DUI crash. The driver will be punished.

Reply to this post

Tue Jun 15, 2021, 12:31 AM

26. article indicates he had no license as a result of multiple DUI offenses

"Hennepin County Jail roster records show that a 35-year-old St. Paul man was arrested early Monday in Minneapolis on suspicion of criminal vehicular homicide, driving after having his license suspended, and giving false information to police. The man does not have a valid license as a result of multiple DUI offenses."

I'll be honest, we have the right to protest in the streets, but it's really just not safe or effective. I was freaking out seeing kids stream out onto the freeway during the peak of the George Floyd protests.

People don't appreciate how many completely _lousy_ drivers there are and how much our road deaths are reduced by fantastic safety features on the latest cars. Lousy meaning unskilled, distracted, angry, stressed, partying, racing, high, drunk, late, or any combination thereof.

Reply to this post

Wed Jun 16, 2021, 03:59 PM

28. Charge has been increased to murder

Man charged with murder in Uptown crash that killed Deona Knajdek

he man accused of being behind the wheel of the SUV involved in an Uptown crash that killed a woman and hurt others was charged Wednesday with second-degree murder and two counts of second-degree assault using a dangerous weapon.

Nicholas D. Kraus, 35, was taken into custody earlier this week on probable cause vehicular homicide.

Kraus was suspected of driving a vehicle east on Lake Street Sunday night when the vehicle crashed into a group of protesters. There have been ongoing protests in the area since the shooting of Winston Smith earlier this month. A woman, identified as Deona Knajdek, died as a result of the crash, which also hurt three other people.

"This office is shocked by this level of violence in our streets," Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman said. "The defendant, Mr. Kraus, in the Uptown fatal incident in which he struck and killed a peaceful female protester while intoxicated, and injured additional protesters, is an extreme and violent intentional act. His behavior and admittance to intentionally driving towards the protesters is one important reason why we have charged him with intentional second-degree murder."
https://kstp.com/news/man-charged-with-murder-in-uptown-crash-that-killed-deona-knajdek/6143171/?cat=1

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread