HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Biden Pushes Education Sp...

Mon May 3, 2021, 02:34 PM

Biden Pushes Education Spending At Stops In Virginia

Source: AP

YORKTOWN, Va. (AP) President Joe Biden and the first lady traveled Monday to coastal Virginia to promote his plans to increase spending on education and children, part of his $1.8 trillion families proposal announced last week.

Biden and his wife, Jill, visited Tidewater Community College. The president has proposed $109 billion be spent to provide Americans with two years of tuition-free community college.

He's also seeking $62 billion for programs that could improve completion rates at community colleges and institutions that predominantly serve disadvantaged students. It's an issue of personal importance to the Bidens. The first lady is an English professor at Northern Virginia Community College in Alexandria.

But there is uncertainty about Biden getting an ambitious set of spending programs through narrow Democratic majorities in Congress. He has proposed a combined $4.1 trillion to be spent on infrastructure, broadband, new school buildings, electric vehicle charging stations, the power grid, child tax credits and child care, among other programs. All of that would be financed by higher taxes on corporations and the wealthy...

Read more: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/biden-pushes-education-spending-at-stops-in-virginia/ar-BB1gjNgU

3 replies, 488 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Biden Pushes Education Spending At Stops In Virginia (Original post)
appalachiablue Monday OP
underpants Monday #1
appalachiablue Monday #2
OldBaldy1701E Tuesday #3

Response to appalachiablue (Original post)

Mon May 3, 2021, 03:41 PM

1. I know a lot of people who went to that elementary

Pretty cool that they were there. The Yorktown Battlefields bump up to that neighborhood

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to underpants (Reply #1)

Mon May 3, 2021, 04:29 PM

2. Nice area though I haven't been in ages.

Biden stopped to greet a cute tike in a Navy hat there- see Gen. Disc.

Reply to this post

Response to appalachiablue (Original post)

Tue May 4, 2021, 07:50 AM

3. Okay, story time

So, one place I grew up in was Holland, VA, which is just south of Suffolk. When I was ten, I had a sitter who was nineteen and lived in my neighborhood. My little brother was away for a week visiting my grandmother, so it was just her and I. Well, she and her friends all wanted to go see this scary movie called 'The Exorcist' which was playing at the student center at Tidewater Community College-Suffolk. They got me in by clumping around me when they walked past the window waving at their friend who was working the booth. (The students got to see it for free because of some class or other...). Well, let me tell you, that film was (and still is!) completely awesome. I loved it. My parents never found out. (I don't recall if they have ever known about it.) Now, I was a weird kid who loved horror movies, so it gave me nightmares, but I always loved them too, so... not a big thing. (It was not long after this that I discovered one of my great literary loves... Stephen King.)

So, who remembers Nansemond County?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread