HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Bobby Unser, Three-Time I...

Mon May 3, 2021, 12:52 PM

Bobby Unser, Three-Time Indy 500 Champion And Pikes Peak Legend, Dies At 87

Source: Associated Press, via Jalopnik

Bobby Unser, Three-Time Indy 500 Champion And Pikes Peak Legend, Dies At 87

Elizabeth Blackstock
38 minutes ago

The Unser family is loaded with automotive talent, and few epitomized that quite as deeply as Bobby Unser. In his decades-long career, the Colorado native crushed stunning records at the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb (dubbed “Unser’s Peak” due to the family’s massive success there), won three Indianapolis 500 events, secured two Champ Car Championships, entered two Formula One races and tried his hand at NASCAR racing. And that only skims the surface. Unser has sadly died at age 87.

The Unser family confirmed that Bobby Unser died of natural causes at his home in Albuquerque, New Mexico on May 2, 2021, as per Associated Press reporter Jenna Fryer.

Jenna Fryer
@JennaFryer
·
1h
The family of Bobby Unser says he passed away last night of natural causes at his home in Albuquerque, New Mexico of natural causes. He was 87.

{snip}

Read more: https://jalopnik.com/bobby-unser-three-time-indy-500-champion-and-pikes-pea-1846811417

4 replies, 849 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Bobby Unser, Three-Time Indy 500 Champion And Pikes Peak Legend, Dies At 87 (Original post)
mahatmakanejeeves Monday OP
Bayard Monday #1
BootinUp Monday #2
BumRushDaShow Monday #3
turbinetree Monday #4

Response to mahatmakanejeeves (Original post)

Mon May 3, 2021, 02:14 PM

1. I think he won the year my Dad and I went to the 500

In the 70's. My ears rang for 3 days.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon May 3, 2021, 03:48 PM

2. A true racing great. Rip Bobby. Nt

Reply to this post

Mon May 3, 2021, 04:08 PM

3. Wow. Just heard on my local news radio station

That guy was a literal "classic". I have actually been to Pike's Peak and I know up on the summit, it felt like I was being smashed and it took me about 20 minutes of the 30 minutes we spent up there to adjust (I had been staying near Colorado Springs at about 8000 ft for about a week before going up on the cog rail). I expect that racing on the road going up (mountain goats and all that were in the area) was probably as extreme as one could get (at least in the U.S.).

R.I.P. and thanks for some exciting events.

Reply to this post

Mon May 3, 2021, 05:03 PM

4. This is sad............

and anyone that has gone up and down Pikes Peak knows that this is one hell of course.......

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread