HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Republicans ask Biden to ...

Sat May 1, 2021, 03:56 AM

Republicans ask Biden to withdraw 'divisive' proposal to teach more Black history

Source: Reuters

April 30, 2021
5:27 PM CDT
Merdie Nzanga David Morgan

3 minute read

Dozens of Senate Republicans called on the Biden administration on Friday to withdraw what they say is a “divisive” education proposal that would place greater emphasis on slavery and the contributions of Black Americans in history and civics lessons taught in U.S. schools.

In the latest salvo of a burgeoning culture war over race in America, 39 Republican lawmakers led by Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said the proposed Education Department policy would divert established school curricula toward a "politicized and divisive agenda" fixated on the country's flaws.

"Young Americans deserve a rigorous understanding of civics and American history. They need to understand both our successes and our failures," the Republican senators wrote in a letter to Education Secretary Miguel Cardona dated April 29. The letter was released on Friday.

"Americans do not need or want their tax dollars diverted from promoting the principles that unite our nation toward promoting radical ideologies meant to divide us."

Read more: https://www.reuters.com/world/us/republicans-ask-biden-withdraw-divisive-proposal-teach-more-black-history-2021-04-30/

62 replies, 2855 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 62 replies Author Time Post
Reply Republicans ask Biden to withdraw 'divisive' proposal to teach more Black history (Original post)
Judi Lynn May 1 OP
BlueMTexpat May 1 #1
twodogsbarking May 1 #2
AZLD4Candidate May 1 #19
twodogsbarking Sunday #30
AZLD4Candidate Sunday #31
twodogsbarking Sunday #32
AZLD4Candidate Sunday #34
twodogsbarking Sunday #37
AZLD4Candidate Sunday #39
twodogsbarking Monday #45
AZLD4Candidate Monday #49
twodogsbarking Monday #50
Celerity Monday #43
Celerity Monday #44
ananda Monday #46
AZLD4Candidate Monday #55
ananda Tuesday #60
CRK7376 Monday #56
AZLD4Candidate Tuesday #62
truthisfreedom May 1 #3
barbtries May 1 #4
Evolve Dammit May 1 #16
AZLD4Candidate Monday #51
barbtries Monday #52
AZLD4Candidate Monday #53
barbtries Monday #54
vlyons May 1 #5
mopinko May 1 #6
bringthePaine May 1 #7
AZLD4Candidate May 1 #20
LymphocyteLover May 1 #8
Lonestarblue May 1 #9
Stuart G May 1 #10
LymphocyteLover Tuesday #57
LastLiberal in PalmSprings May 1 #23
Lonestarblue May 1 #24
LastLiberal in PalmSprings Sunday #36
Stuart G Tuesday #59
twodogsbarking May 1 #11
Stuart G May 1 #12
niyad May 1 #18
AZLD4Candidate Sunday #38
electric_blue68 May 1 #27
Solly Mack May 1 #13
Stuart G May 1 #14
Solly Mack May 1 #17
AZLD4Candidate Monday #41
Solly Mack Monday #42
csziggy May 1 #15
twodogsbarking Monday #47
dchill May 1 #21
noneof_theabove May 1 #22
electric_blue68 May 1 #25
electric_blue68 May 1 #26
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin May 1 #28
EndlessWire May 1 #29
roamer65 Sunday #33
AZLD4Candidate Sunday #35
Stuart G Tuesday #58
Retrograde Sunday #40
Kid Berwyn Monday #48
karynnj Tuesday #61

Response to Judi Lynn (Original post)

Sat May 1, 2021, 04:27 AM

1. WTAbsoluteF!

GQPers sink deeper every day.

I'm surprised that they haven't yet reached the other side of the Earth!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat May 1, 2021, 06:28 AM

2. Memorizing when all the wars started and ended

is most of what is taught in history.

Reply to this post

Response to twodogsbarking (Reply #2)

Sat May 1, 2021, 12:49 PM

19. Do you have any proof of that?

I'm a history teacher and I'd like to see evidence of that, since this is surely not in my classroom.

Reply to this post

Response to AZLD4Candidate (Reply #19)

Sun May 2, 2021, 08:37 AM

30. Good for you.

Assuming you are actually a teacher and have a classroom. I will take you on your word without proof.

Reply to this post

Response to twodogsbarking (Reply #30)

Sun May 2, 2021, 01:18 PM

31. That was extremely distasteful and disrespectful

Of all the things to claim you are, a teacher? I think I am done speaking with you permanently. That was just rude and way too aggressive.

I've been a teacher 16 years in four countries. Just to show you that you are wrong and do owe me some form of an apology:

[img][/img]
This is my classroom this year due to COVID19.

And while I hate giving vocabulary HW because every History conference I've gone on, and my time as a historian/docent at the Rape of Nanking Memorial Hall showed me no one truly asks for "clarification on a word I say," my principal requires it because my principal is one track minded.

I await your apology, but I doubt I will get it.

Would you like to see my resume, copy of my state certification, assessment I've given, projects I've given, or my contract for next year?

Reply to this post

Response to AZLD4Candidate (Reply #31)

Sun May 2, 2021, 03:52 PM

32. I was generalizing.

Chill.

Reply to this post

Response to twodogsbarking (Reply #32)

Sun May 2, 2021, 05:53 PM

34. No, your response was rude and disrespectful.

You should apologize. You questioned my career and when I call you out, you take the Trump route of "it was just a joke," or in your case "I was generalizing." Your attempt at gaslighting failed. Be an adult and apologize for it.

I asked you to provide evidence of your generalization, and you still have not.

Reply to this post

Response to AZLD4Candidate (Reply #34)

Sun May 2, 2021, 07:57 PM

37. Seek help.

Soon.

Reply to this post

Response to twodogsbarking (Reply #37)

Sun May 2, 2021, 11:18 PM

39. As I said, I await your apology and you get more insulting and rude

Thank you for that. Have a wonderful night.

Reply to this post

Response to AZLD4Candidate (Reply #39)

Mon May 3, 2021, 06:46 AM

45. Your ego is unreal.

Really.

Reply to this post

Response to twodogsbarking (Reply #45)

Mon May 3, 2021, 10:45 AM

49. As is your gaslighting and cyber bullying.

You made a statement. I asked for facts. . .you insult me. I come back from the insult, then you "face save" and do the same thing a Trumper would do.

A simple, sincere apology would really make you look good. Now, because you've double and tripled down on the gaslighting, insults, and martyrdom, any apology would be as hollow has any Trump would say.

I really have no interest in continuing this. I can only forgive your rudeness, consider the source of it, and move on.

Have a wonderful day and a pleasant work week.

Reply to this post

Response to AZLD4Candidate (Reply #49)

Mon May 3, 2021, 10:50 AM

50. Peace.

Teach on.

Reply to this post

Response to twodogsbarking (Reply #37)

Mon May 3, 2021, 06:35 AM

43. You should really apologise to AZLD4Candidate, your attacks are crude uncalled for

Reply to this post

Response to AZLD4Candidate (Reply #34)

Mon May 3, 2021, 06:35 AM

44. +100000000

Reply to this post

Mon May 3, 2021, 08:43 AM

46. That may be true in some schools, however...

I think many schools go much wider and deeper
than that.

I think it depends on the mentality of the area.
In some rightwing areas, parents and legislators
do not want their children taught real history.

Truly, the basic curriculum should be the same
for all schools, with the ability to expand on that
if the teacher and the class allow.

In all cases, no history teacher should teach
anything but actual history, the truth... not a
whitewashed version of anything.

Reply to this post

Response to ananda (Reply #46)

Mon May 3, 2021, 06:08 PM

55. We teach students to interpret and come up with their own conclusion using facts

Think of it like a soft science lab report. Same idea.

Reply to this post

Response to AZLD4Candidate (Reply #55)

Tue May 4, 2021, 04:08 PM

60. I know some classes are very good, with good teachers... but...

... in some areas, particularly red ones, that is not the case

They not only teach watered down history, but also
revisionist.

Reply to this post

Mon May 3, 2021, 10:40 PM

56. WRONG!

I retired from the Army after serving 21 years active duty and 17years in the NationalGuard/ArmyReserves and during the Guard/Reserve years I spent 12years teaching high school history and since retirement the past 5 years in a Title 1 School with 40% Black kids, 40% Hispanic kids and the remaining 20% everybody else..... All my years teaching I never required kids to know the start and end dates of our nation's wars. Have I talked about our nation's wars....of course I have. I also talk about our founding fathers and their slave ownership, our Constitution, our government, technology that pushed our nation forward, about our Suffragettes, about slavery, Jackson and his Trail of Tears, Industrialization, the Alamo (slavery in TX), Lewis and Clark and York the Slave along with Sacajawea, Gold Rush and Chinese Immigration, Missouri Compromise, showing my students photos inside the St Louis Courthouse where Dred Scott lost his battle and remained a slave, photos of the Great Salt Lake and Mormon settlement in Utah and how that community helped build the Transcontinental Railroad, how the Vanderbilt family built a small vacation home in my home state a little place called Biltmore House, how the Forester for Biltmore Estates, Gifford Pinchot, would become the first leader of the US Forest Service. Now history gets fun and personal, Manifest Destiny pushes Americans west including my Dad's father who was born in Oklahoma during the Land Rush of 1889, married an Oklahoma Cherokee woman, my mothers dad was born the same year, 1889, was a teacher in one room rural schoolhouse in Indiana, goes off to France for WWI, returns to teaching, moves to St Louis, he and wife with my newbornAunt watch Lindbergh and the Spirit of St Louis leave Lambert Field for NYC and on to Paris. Both grandfathers and grand mothers were born before the airplane was invented, before jet aircraft, before radio, before TV and penicillin, before NASA launched men into space. I share some militay memorbila with my students for example.... Grandfather Rs WWI helmet, his trench mirror, his sewing kit, his tunic buttons and most important to me his 2nd Lieutenant Bar that I wore when I handed in my stripes for a commission as an Army officer. My dad's Uncle M landed in the 3rd wave at Normandy. I have two of German pistols he brought back from Europe. Naturally those do not go to school, but they do shoot rather well for 70 year guns. I show the kids pictures of my families military history, including mine....my wife's dad was a B17 Navigator during WWII, he is one of those that will not talk much about his time in service. I still have my dad's Korean War rucksack and helmet, the helmet is on display in the classroom along with the WWI helmet, my Kevlar helmet from Afghanistan and a Russian helmet with a bullet hole through and through that I brought out a cave in the Uruzgan Province of Afghanistan when I left in May 2003. I show the kids pictures of the Iron Curtain from my first tour in Germany in the late 70s,walking out on the Bridge of No Return in the Korean DMZ, while my Sergeant Major was telling our unit about his actions during a Poplar Tree cut down and murder of American Soldiers in 1976....so yes to the original statement. Many teachers used to and may still teach dates conflicts start and end. But there is a whole lot more that we teach and cover with a passion.

Reply to this post

Response to CRK7376 (Reply #56)

Tue May 4, 2021, 05:17 PM

62. Ssshhh. . .those are called facts and experience.

You'll be accused of having a huge ego and told to seek help like I was.

Sssshhh. . .and in my classroom, the dates are meaningless. The interpretation skills are more important.

Reply to this post

Sat May 1, 2021, 06:57 AM

3. reactionary, defined.

Reply to this post

Sat May 1, 2021, 07:12 AM

4. "we've spent the past 40 years

dumbing down america and you're not going to make it smart goddamit"

i hate republicans

Reply to this post

Response to barbtries (Reply #4)

Sat May 1, 2021, 10:17 AM

16. seriously. How dare you teach the truth??

Reply to this post

Response to barbtries (Reply #4)

Mon May 3, 2021, 11:00 AM

51. We allowed those in charge to marginalize the arts and humanities so now few can create or

think critically because of the expediency of STEM and turning schools in to little more than underfunded job creation centers.

This all started with Bill Bennett's un-researched hissy fit/teacher's union busting fantasy "A Nation at Risk," which was a complete exercise in confirmation bias, as he had a conclusion and then cherry-picked "facts" to prove his theory, similar to the Broken Windows theory and that repugnant "The Bell Curve" obnoxiousness.

Reply to this post

Response to AZLD4Candidate (Reply #51)

Mon May 3, 2021, 12:41 PM

52. it hardly stops there.

history, civics. most people do not know how our government works. they barely know the president's name. religion, specifically evangelical christian religion, has influenced education to ghastly effect. home-schooled kids may get to college believing the earth is 6,000 years old FFS. misogyny: remember it was an elected lawmaker who commented that women's bodies can "shut that down" and won't get pregnant if they're raped. racism and the whitewashing of history, etc, all sort of influencing the education of our nation's youth. and now they're defending it rabidly because they know the demographics are not swinging their way.

Reply to this post

Response to barbtries (Reply #52)

Mon May 3, 2021, 01:54 PM

53. That's because we've marginalized those disciplines that teach those things in order to make student

good little worker bees.

charter schools (unless they use real curriculum like one here in Tucson), home schooling, and school choice is designed to destroy education.

Reply to this post

Response to AZLD4Candidate (Reply #53)

Mon May 3, 2021, 05:02 PM

54. right.

the dumbing down of America. it's a thing.

Reply to this post

Sat May 1, 2021, 07:33 AM

5. yes, let's pretend that everything is okey-dokey

I find it difficult to accept that those senators could be so stupid and delusional, but they are. What I see is people grasping at their sense of "self."

Reply to this post

Sat May 1, 2021, 07:39 AM

6. i guess liberty and justice for all aint workin out so good for them.

Reply to this post

Sat May 1, 2021, 08:16 AM

7. why I call 'em refuKKKchickens...

Reply to this post

Response to bringthePaine (Reply #7)

Sat May 1, 2021, 12:51 PM

20. A friend of mine says the following: "If they can drop the IC and call us the Democrat Party,

I can add an "L" and call them the Republiklan Party."

Reply to this post

Sat May 1, 2021, 08:24 AM

8. fuck those mother fuckers. Isn't this cancel culture?

Reply to this post

Sat May 1, 2021, 08:44 AM

9. Our history books have been so whitewashed to appease conservatives that there's little left.

I know of one high school history book that described black people as immigrants to came to the US to work! History has long been taught from a white perspective and from the perspective of the great white men who built America, from the Founders to the robber barons and dynasties founded by Rockefellers, Carnegie, and others. Not much is included about how they built their fortunes and the people they trampled on to do it.

We all learn from our own mistakes in life and from what we read about the results of choices made. We have a more recent example in the horrible result from 2016 of people choosing Trump over Clinton. That is one of the purposes of studying history—to learn from what went wrong as well as what went right. Sports teams use videos of past games to learn these lessons. The military uses past skirmishes and wars to learn lessons. Yet Republicans want to deny our children—the future leaders of the country—the right to learn lessons from the past. Shame on them. They think they can bury history as deep as they’ve buried their own honesty and morals.

Edited to add: And while we’re at it, let’s be honest about the genocide of Native Americans committed for the benefit of white settlers.

Reply to this post

Response to Lonestarblue (Reply #9)

Sat May 1, 2021, 08:54 AM

10. " be honest of genocide of Native Americans" Do you know about, Wounded Knee? NO?

Last edited Sat May 1, 2021, 09:27 AM - Edit history (2)

"....An 1890 massacre left some 250 Native Americans dead, in what was the final clash between federal troops and the Sioux. Old people, women and children. On purpose by an leader in the military..
.......................................................................................................................................

from the link below
By the time the massacre was over, more than 250 men, women and children of the Lakota had been killed and 51 were wounded (4 men and 47 women and children, some of whom died later); some estimates placed the number of dead as high as 300.[3]

You haven't heard about the ...Massacre at Wounded Knee, have you?

... total proof that we do not teach about "genocide of Native Americans"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wounded_Knee_Massacre

Reply to this post

Response to Stuart G (Reply #10)

Tue May 4, 2021, 07:24 AM

57. I certainly learned about it when I was young, not sure what age but it was a big deal

in the culture... but that was back in the late 60's and early 70s and there was a big native American movement in the news then

Reply to this post

Response to Lonestarblue (Reply #9)

Sat May 1, 2021, 06:22 PM

23. There was a Texas couple that got themselves positioned at the narrowest part of the textbook review

process. Anything that was to appear in Texas textbooks would have to get past them first. Talk about revisionist history.

The big problem is that Texas orders so many schoolbooks that publishers won't produce books for smaller states, and they have to buy the Texas versions. These two people controlled the educational resources of dozens of states. For example, in one edition of a civics book there was no mention of Thomas Jefferson, but Joseph McCarthy was described as a patriot who fought communism.

Reply to this post

Response to LastLiberal in PalmSprings (Reply #23)

Sat May 1, 2021, 07:51 PM

24. Are you referring to Norma and Mel Gabler?

They were notorious in Texas for their campaigns against textbook publishers that tried to present accurate science and history in contrast to their demands to teach Biblical beliefs. At one point, the Gablers managed to get the New Deal eliminated from a list of notable achievements in US history. Their organization has much less power today, but they inspired many others to object to anything that is not in the ultra conservative mindset. One of their biggest bugaboos has been evolution since they want creationism taught as a viable scientific theory when it is no such thing. At one point, the Texas Board of Education had so many loonies on it that voters finally took notice. Many of the worst lost their elections, and the Board is now a bit better. Texas still has far too much influence, though, on what is taught in the rest of the country.

Reply to this post

Response to Lonestarblue (Reply #24)

Sun May 2, 2021, 06:57 PM

36. That sounds about right.

Mostly what I recall is that a very conservative couple had positioned themselves where they controlled what students in a huge chunk of the U.S. learned, and that most of it was totally fucked up. It really opened my eyes to the alternate reality where conservatives live.

Reply to this post

Response to LastLiberal in PalmSprings (Reply #23)

Tue May 4, 2021, 10:50 AM

59. Thank You for posting this about the ...."Texas couple"

Reply to this post

Sat May 1, 2021, 09:37 AM

11. History is a set of lies, agreed upon.

Having lived through historic events and reading about them years later convinces me of this.

Reply to this post

Response to twodogsbarking (Reply #11)

Sat May 1, 2021, 09:42 AM

12. That depends...on who writes.."The History"..Dee Brown wrote, "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee"

..That book is NOT a "set of lies."...Read it, if you can...warning: very sad book if you read it..(but truth)

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West is a 1970 non-fiction book by American writer Dee Brown that covers the history of Native Americans in the American West in the late nineteenth century

Reply to this post

Response to Stuart G (Reply #12)

Sat May 1, 2021, 10:37 AM

18. Have you read "An Indigenous People's History of the United States" by Roxanne Dunbar- Ortiz?

As much as I thought that I knew about the genocide of the Indigenous peoples of this land, this was a real eye-opener. I could not get through more than a few pages at a time without screaming or crying.

Reply to this post

Response to niyad (Reply #18)

Sun May 2, 2021, 11:16 PM

38. Iris Chang wrote "The Rape of Nanking." But historians are all liars, apparently,

to the OP of this response that lodges bombs and accusations with no evidence to support them.

Reply to this post

Response to twodogsbarking (Reply #11)

Sat May 1, 2021, 08:30 PM

27. I think it's a mix: truth, half-thruths, lies, omissions in...

different proportions.

I've lived through plenty of history, too.

Reply to this post

Sat May 1, 2021, 09:59 AM

13. They mean an American history where white people did this and white people did that, white people

accomplished this and white people accomplished that, a white person said this and a white person said that. Native Americans, who? Oh, you mean the traditional family values of happy gatherings called Thanksgiving? All about the friendly and mutually respectful meeting of an inferior culture and the superior and ever so much better white people. Slavery? Yeah, it had its ugly moments but don't forget the good. Besides, think of all those misunderstood and much maligned white Southerners and how unfairly they were treated.

Women? Hey! We graciously allowed them the vote. See how wonderful we are? Doesn't take long to say that in class, so this is OK to teach.

Black people? You can't dwell on the negative. Besides, they weren't ready for freedom for a long time. But us white people showed them the way. Shows how generous we are!

MLK, Jr. ? Yeah, he was OK - but he became great once he was dead and not doing all that agitating. Shows how magnanimous white people are to inferiors.

Again, takes about 1 minute to say this in class, so that's OK.

The our all white founding fathers who created a christian nation that became the greatest nation in the world no thanks to anyone but white males kind of history that brings us all together as one people - as long no one looks too close.

Because, sure, that narrative is in no way a "politicized and divisive agenda".

Yeah, right.

Reply to this post

Response to Solly Mack (Reply #13)

Sat May 1, 2021, 10:11 AM

14. Outstanding...2nd paragraph...About ..Women...

Women? Hey! We graciously allowed them the vote. See how wonderful we are? Doesn't take long to say that in class, so this is OK to teach.

Reply to this post

Response to Stuart G (Reply #14)

Sat May 1, 2021, 10:28 AM

17. Except in the South, of course. But under their narrative, that part is left out.

That way it sounds like all women were able to vote - thanks to them.

Telling the truth about America won't change the fact that Neil Armstrong was the first man on the moon - but the truth will show why no black person or woman was even considered. And that does matter.

Thank you!

Reply to this post

Response to Solly Mack (Reply #13)

Mon May 3, 2021, 01:51 AM

41. That's exactly what they want, but it wouldn't be what I teach in my social studies class

Native Americans: My mother is full blooded Haudenosaunee adopted by an Italian family and I worked with her on her research on her doctoral dissertation on the Great Binding Law for her PhD in Native American history. I actively call Thanksgiving "National Whitewashing of Native American Genocide Day."

Slavery: Uncle Tom's Cabin is required reading, as is Cannibals All, then I have my students compare and contrast and present in class. Sometimes I assign Twelve Years a Slave.

Black people: We go over Black Codes, Jim Crow, Segregation, Nat Turner (who I portray as a hero) and the white resistance to the Civil Rights movement.

Trust me, I've gotten into trouble for doing all of this, and more.

Reply to this post

Response to AZLD4Candidate (Reply #41)

Mon May 3, 2021, 05:55 AM

42. McConnell, and many like him, want the same history they learned to continue to be taught

- when what they were taught was not history at all.

It was a narrative that served as a testimony to white men and taught in a manner that was wrapped in the flag and sung to the tune of the star-spangled banner.

It was more indoctrination than a factual telling of America's history.

History can be written as a lie. Look how the South rewrote the Civil War.

A history that leaves out people of color and women isn't history at all.

It is a tale told to shape views and establish a perspective that passes as fact but is rife with lies.

Some want the struggles for equality to taught as proof of growth and goodness - of moving toward a more perfect union. Case closed. They want collective credit for the outcome; a reflection on their own goodness.

When that's not what happened at all.

As for the bad? The actual events of history? Best that be glossed over lest someone or some event looks like the cause and not the solution. They want to be seen as the vehicle for change and not the impediment.

People were enslaved, beaten, murdered, raped, lynched, arrested, attacked, assaulted, homes firebombed and churches bombed.

All facts that some folks call too divisive to be taught.

Land stolen, treaties made in bad faith, populations killed and reduced in number all in the name of glory. Besides, they were “merciless Indian Savages". The Declaration of Independence says so - so it must be true, right?

What's the harm in a little innocent game of "cowboys and Indians"? It's not like it reinforces stereotypes or myths taught as history or paints a negative image of indigenous people, right? Right? Just all good fun. Nothing bad to see here. (Snort)

Ugly truth is, a lot of people got the whole "Leave it to Beaver, Donna Reed, Father Knows Best" brand of history which isn't history at all but a celebration of white life and culture - and even then, it didn't extend to all white people. And it didn't even bother with people of color or the actual status of women at all.

But it was the face of America that too many wanted to present to the world.

That the rest of us demand our rightful, truthful and factual, place in American history scares the crap out of people like McConnell.

They claim if you tell the truth about America that citizens will come to hate their country. That it will cause divisions. Never mind their version of history had division built into it for the purpose of dividing the nation into white people great - and some others also living in America.

But what they really mean is they fear people will come to hate those like him. That they'll resent being taught lies. That people will expect accountability for those lies. That people will break free of the bullshit and that means breaking free of people like McConnell.

I'm so happy you strive to teach the facts.

Thank you for that. My thanks to you and your mother.

Reply to this post

Sat May 1, 2021, 10:15 AM

15. So change the language and teach about the history of people of color

Because not only has the role of African Americans been ignored, so has the genocide of Native Americans, the work of Asian Americans, and the contributions of Hispanic Americans.

Call it non-White history if Black History or POC history offends the RepuQ snowflakes, but teach it.

This is from someone whose parent's tax dollars paid for my American History teacher to spend a six weeks periods on the War of Northern Aggression, with an entire week on Uncle Tom's Cabin as Yankee propaganda. Everything I have learned over my life about other than White Anglo Saxon Protestant American History was learned outside of a class room.

Reply to this post

Response to csziggy (Reply #15)

Mon May 3, 2021, 09:33 AM

47. You nailed it.

I too learned more outside of class and also learned that much of what was taught in school was to steer folks in one direction or another. American education needs attention.

Reply to this post

Sat May 1, 2021, 12:53 PM

21. The word 'divisive' sure is.

Reply to this post

Sat May 1, 2021, 02:29 PM

22. make a deal

Teach more Red History.
The Indians were here long before white, yellow, brown, black......

They are the "real Americans".

Reply to this post

Sat May 1, 2021, 08:15 PM

26. Shall I get out my banjo and sing "...My ole Alabamy..." Geeeebz!!! 😠

🤔 Let's see -

Add 1/3 Moronicness, 1/3 Rascism and 1/3 Sexism together...
Stir...
And you get White Republican American History! 😥🤪🤬

With deep apologies to The Banjo an instrument originating from Africa.

Reply to this post

Sat May 1, 2021, 08:32 PM

28. Won't someone think about the poor hypersensitive racists?

Reply to this post

Sat May 1, 2021, 11:06 PM

29. Stupid people

Divisive? Tell a lie because you are embarrassed?

I say, double down. Tell the truth about what happened to Native Americans when the Europeans arrived, and tell the truth about how the Blacks were drug over here and enslaved.

We weren't the first people in history to have slaves. Let's be clear about that. But, we added them into our commerce systems as commodities. There's no changing that. Let's meet the truth head on and vow to do no more wrong.

There's nothing wrong with balancing the books. Joe, this is why I voted for you, among other things. (You know, they must be pissed as hell that we have a Black V.P. Are you loving it?)

Reply to this post

Sun May 2, 2021, 05:37 PM

33. Nazi Republicans, FUCK OFF!

Reply to this post

Sun May 2, 2021, 06:06 PM

35. As a social studies teacher, I have been told that my job is "just teach the facts"

but both administrators and parents in my career.

I have just come back from a long time overseas. Here are my state standards for 7th grade social studies. If any of you can, show me where in the state standards so "just teach facts" falls.

https://www.azed.gov/standards-practices/k-12standards/standards-social-studies

note: mine currently are in 6th - 8th grade standards.

Reply to this post

Response to AZLD4Candidate (Reply #35)

Tue May 4, 2021, 10:47 AM

58. I was a social studies teacher..One of my goals was to teach the difference between fact/opinion.

Here, there, and everywhere!...What is a fact? What is an opinion? How to differentiate the two..
so on and on and on and on..

Reply to this post

Sun May 2, 2021, 11:48 PM

40. I don't think Biden's proposal goes far enough

I'd like to see non East Coast-centric American history courses. Not only is the Native American presence largely ignored, but so are the contributions of the Spanish and French cultures that colonized/settled most of what is now the US.

Reply to this post

Mon May 3, 2021, 09:45 AM

48. NAZIs Double Down

Eff em

Reply to this post

Tue May 4, 2021, 04:51 PM

61. They need to read what they wrote

"Young Americans deserve a rigorous understanding of civics and American history. They need to understand both our successes and our failures,"

A rigorous understanding of American history INCLUDES everything that the Biden education department is asking for.

The second quote shows THEIR agenda: Labelling facts they do not like as "radical ideologies" and claiming that teaching them "divides us". Sorry that they do not like calling white supremacy, which certainly existed from the beginning, "white supremacy".

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread