HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Ingenuity's First Black-a...

Mon Apr 19, 2021, 07:26 AM

Ingenuity's First Black-and-White Image From the Air

Source: NASA

April 19, 2021

https://mars.nasa.gov/system/resources/detail_files/25818_3-PIA24584-Ingenuity's-First-Black-and-White-Heli-Shot-from-the-Air-web.jpg

NASA’s Ingenuity Mars Helicopter took this shot while hovering over the Martian surface on April 19, 2021, during the first instance of powered, controlled flight on another planet. It used its navigation camera, which autonomously tracks the ground during flight.

The Ingenuity Mars Helicopter was built by JPL, which also manages this technology demonstration project for NASA Headquarters. It is supported by NASA’s Science Mission Directorate, Aeronautics Research Mission Directorate, and Space Technology Mission Directorate. NASA’s Ames Research Center and Langley Research Center provided significant flight performance analysis and technical assistance during Ingenuity’s development.

A key objective for Perseverance’s mission on Mars is astrobiology, including the search for signs of ancient microbial life. The rover will characterize the planet’s geology and past climate, pave the way for human exploration of the Red Planet, and be the first mission to collect and cache Martian rock and regolith (broken rock and dust).

Read more: https://mars.nasa.gov/resources/25818/ingenuitys-first-black-and-white-image-from-the-air/

And we have lift off....................

12 replies, 3028 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply Ingenuity's First Black-and-White Image From the Air (Original post)
turbinetree Apr 19 OP
mitch96 Apr 19 #1
Judi Lynn Apr 19 #2
turbinetree Apr 19 #11
rownesheck Apr 19 #3
BumRushDaShow Apr 19 #4
abqtommy Apr 19 #5
keithbvadu2 Apr 19 #7
yagotme Apr 19 #8
MuseRider Apr 19 #6
Rollo Apr 19 #9
burrowowl Apr 19 #10
electric_blue68 Apr 19 #12

Response to turbinetree (Original post)

Mon Apr 19, 2021, 07:37 AM

1. YAHOO!!! Nasa did it!!! What I think is cool is that Ingenuity flew with a piece of the

original Wright Flyer on board.. An homage to the first powered flight on earth.. Neat...
m

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Apr 19, 2021, 07:46 AM

2. It looked so little, awwwww. Thank you, turbinetree. The Ingenuity Helicopter is wonderful.

🚀 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Reply to this post

Response to Judi Lynn (Reply #2)

Mon Apr 19, 2021, 11:00 PM

11. Your welcome....................

it was pretty cool watching it for 39 seconds hovering over another planet in our system........

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 19, 2021, 07:56 AM

3. Totally looks like

this whole thing was filmed on a soundstage directed by Stanley Kubrick. It's fake.

Kidding! That was awesome!

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 19, 2021, 08:05 AM

4. EXCELLENT!!!

I know that they had delayed it to fix some software but wasn’t sure when they would try again!!

Am sitting at my car dealer getting my car inspected and glad I saw the thread and have my iPad so I could watch the part of the video when they got the good news and showed the image of it up in the air.

Congrats to the whole project team!

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 19, 2021, 08:39 AM

5. This is fantastic! I just had to look up the communications delay between Earth and Mars.

This varies to between a minimum "delay of around 4 minutes and the maximum of around 24 minutes"*. This is due to the changing positions of both planets.

* https://blogs.esa.int/mex/2012/08/05/time-delay-between-mars-and-earth/

Reply to this post

Response to abqtommy (Reply #5)

Mon Apr 19, 2021, 11:28 AM

7. Big rock! Big rock! Turn left! Turn left! --- 8 minutes after the crash.

Big rock! Big rock! Turn left! Turn left! --- 8 minutes after the crash.

Reply to this post

Response to keithbvadu2 (Reply #7)

Mon Apr 19, 2021, 12:14 PM

8. Yeah, that has to really be nerve wracking for the pilots.

Sloth-type reaction times. Like running away in a dream, slo-mo.

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 19, 2021, 09:34 AM

6. I set my alarm

and got up several times during the night to check on things. The last time was set for when they were supposed to be seeing it for the first time. I was so excited, I love the moments when they know it worked and they laugh and clap and are all excited, they worked so hard for so long. I missed the flight, I could not stay awake any longer so thank you for posting this here so I could see it in an easy way without all the news talkers talking about it first. This is so exciting. Like they said as Ingenuity landed, "NASA works!" It surely does.

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 19, 2021, 12:51 PM

9. Actual flight footage starts at about 42 minutes...

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 19, 2021, 01:10 PM

10. Wow!

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 19, 2021, 11:20 PM

12. W000000t!!!!! ....

I had ridiculously stayed up till 5am, when my FB feed had the NASA post that the Ingenuity data was being received starting around 6:15A. So I thought, "Oh might as well. It's Historic" Been watching since they rolled in the 6+ ft high TV stand in my grade school for the Freedom/Mercury flights...

It took a while but hearing announcement, seeing
The Team get more, and more happy, the first B&W photo of Ingenuity's shadow from hovering above, and the still color shots from Prosperity one after the other like a "flip book" showing the helicopter's rise, hover, and descent.

Surreal, and Joyful! 👏👏👏👏👏🥰

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread