HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » Latest Breaking News (Forum) » Myanmar junta limits inte...

Thu Apr 8, 2021, 03:15 PM

Myanmar junta limits internet, seizes satellite TV dishes

Source: AP

YANGON, Myanmar (AP) — An information blackout under Myanmar’s military junta worsened Thursday as fiber broadband service, the last legal way for ordinary people to access the internet, became intermittently inaccessible on several networks.

Authorities in some areas have also started confiscating satellite dishes used to access international news broadcasts.

Protests against the the Feb. 1 coup that ousted the elected government of Aung San Suu Kyi continued Thursday despite the killing of 11 people by security forces a day earlier.

It was unclear if the internet interruptions for at least two service providers, MBT and Infinite Networks, were temporary. MBT said its service was halted by a break in the line between Yangon and Mandalay, the country’s two biggest cities. But internet users had been complaining for the past week of major slowdowns in the services.

Anti-coup protesters walk through a market with images of ousted Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi at Kamayut township in Yangon, Myanmar Thursday, April 8, 2021. They walked through the markets and streets of Kamayut township with slogans to show their disaffection for military coup. (AP Photo)

Read more: https://apnews.com/article/technology-aung-san-suu-kyi-myanmar-yangon-asia-pacific-11eb30dffc0c70bdbb59b38606c0b421

3 replies, 646 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Myanmar junta limits internet, seizes satellite TV dishes (Original post)
Omaha Steve Apr 8 OP
leftieNanner Apr 8 #1
FoxNewsSucks Apr 8 #2
Auggie Apr 8 #3

Response to Omaha Steve (Original post)

Thu Apr 8, 2021, 03:19 PM

1. I heard an interesting report on NPR

That the military in Myanmar is a completely segregated community from the rest of the population. They have their own stores, banks, neighborhoods, etc. They are trained from day one that the people of the country are NOT them. They marry within their communities and never get to know anyone outside.

I couldn't understand how the military could so easily attack the people of the country. Now I know it's because they don't consider them to be people.

Stunning.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to leftieNanner (Reply #1)

Thu Apr 8, 2021, 03:27 PM

2. That's how Blackwater thugs

and a LOT of cops view us right here.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Omaha Steve (Original post)

Thu Apr 8, 2021, 05:09 PM

3. It just gets uglier